Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Borumba dam  (Read 15857 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake McDonald
Borumba dam
« on: October 12, 2010, 07:14:26 PM »
Hey guys I am thinking of heading to Borumba on sun morning does any one know how it has been fishing?

Does the rain like we have just had generally turn the fish off?

Cheers Parky

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
Re: Borumba dam
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 10:02:52 PM »
Hey Parky,

I caught up with some fella's after our meeting for stocking Ewen Maddock last week and the Bass have been on the chew at Borumba. The boys got 20 great Bass in a short session. The are still schooling up at the entrances of the arms, however I don't know after all this rain. You may even want to check to see if you can get to the dam with some creek crossings before you venture out there, especially with more rain on it's way.

Dave

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 10:17:44 AM »
Hey dave,

Ben and I were there last saturday, got 1 bass and a hit on surface, ben did pull the hooks on what would have been a cracker. The fish were everywhere on the sounder, but couldnt draw a strike. Up the back the weed has been a bit dislodged by the rains making it very difficult with the lures fouling every cast when fishing weed beds, the water is also looking a little discolored.

Parky
My recommendation, fish rocky banks early (that way you can avoid the weed). Then find a school. Have a look around where the 2 arms meet. The less boat traffic the better, they would shut down for 10mins if a boat came past. Blades do the damage there

Cheers

Jackson

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake McDonald
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 01:17:21 PM »
Thanks guys I am hoping to get up there early and try my luck on surface. I have never got any on surface.

Do you have any suggestions on surface lures for up there?

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 02:20:05 PM »
DogX jr, PopX, Anthrax, tiny torpeedos, sammy 65s, zara puppies, 55 JJ stumpjumpers (without the bib)  :thumbsup, SK pop, jitter bugs, halco crazy crawlers, bubble pops. Basically anything will work, i prefer dark colors, with something reflective in the paint job.

I got a hit late morning up the back last week on my PopX. Was about the only action i got. Fish in the backs of bays, if you see togas crusing, try and lead the fish by no less then 8 ft. More the better. They get a little spooked when u try and bomb lures on their head.

And i cannot stress, Work slow with lots of pauses, and you can never pause for to long

Cheers

Jackson

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 04:05:30 PM »
DogX jr, PopX, Anthrax, tiny torpeedos, sammy 65s, zara puppies, 55 JJ stumpjumpers (without the bib)  :thumbsup, SK pop, jitter bugs, halco crazy crawlers, bubble pops. Basically anything will work, i prefer dark colors, with something reflective in the paint job.

I got a hit late morning up the back last week on my PopX. Was about the only action i got. Fish in the backs of bays, if you see togas crusing, try and lead the fish by no less then 8 ft. More the better. They get a little spooked when u try and bomb lures on their head.

And i cannot stress, Work slow with lots of pauses, and you can never pause for to long

Cheers

Jackson

Thankyou for that great reply & sharing your information Jackson. You've almost inspired me to get my ducks in a row to get up there myself, after the flows slow tho.    :youbeauty

fitzy..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 04:48:44 PM »
Yeh i think waiting for it to settle will definately be the go. in one week a couple of mates and myself went from a catch of about 30 bass, 2 yellas and 2 toga... to one small bass last weekend. So i think the influx of water definitely has had an effect on the fishing  :(

Jackson

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 39
  • Fly Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Borumba Dam
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 01:27:52 PM »
I don't think I can add much more. Was up there last weekend for the Variety Toga on Fly comp. There were Bass schooling up at the junction of the two arms but weren't interested in fly (pre-fish boredom).

Toga were a real hit and miss affair, only coming on for very short bursts early morning and late arvo. Virtually shutdown from 8am-4pm. Having said that I was raining and blowing a gail :)

All Toga caught up the very end of both Yabba and Kingham.