Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Rod Selection for Cod  (Read 4031 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Rod Selection for Cod
« on: June 15, 2016, 03:22:44 PM »
To start with I am a threadline man thru and thru so please no baitcaster recommendations........lol. When I do get to fish for some Cod I will be looking for a new rod. Usually I like one piece rods but since I will be on the road with extended family for a while prior to the fishing component of the trip I will have to travel with the gear so I will be looking at a 2 piece unit.

Most lures I will be taking with me will be crankbaits or surface walkers in the 70mm to 95mm size range and spinnerbaits around the 1/2 or 5/8th ounce range.

I am happy to go with a quality factory rolled rod or am happy to entertain blank recommendations for a home build. I have a range of Stradic's / stellas from the 2500 to 5000 size range so I am happy I have the reel choice covered, just the rod to go.

Dave

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
Re: Rod Selection for Cod
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 10:48:39 AM »
Plenty out there Dave.

I love fishing with Innovator Rods Nitro models. They have a few threadline rods that would suit your needs but they're not the cheapest available. Bonus is, if you break one, they'll replace the broken section for a nominated fee.

Links below for a couple I would suggest are worth looking at;
http://www.innovatorrods.com.au/nitro-voodoo.html
http://www.innovatorrods.com.au/nitro-babyviper.html
http://www.innovatorrods.com.au/007-viper.html

Cheers,

Doddsy

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
Re: Rod Selection for Cod
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 01:12:06 PM »
Thanks for that info, I will have a look at who stocks them around my area. I was out and about earlier today and a tackle world store had a 3 piece Shimano Revolution Travel on sale. It seemed like a decent mid-range stick that mates nicely with a 5000FJ Stradic. Even though I was not going to entertain a baitcaster, my local BCF had a 3 piece Diawa Gen Black Lunker Clunker going out for under a 100 bucks so I grabbed that and a Caenan baitcaster in an appropriate size to suit.......now to practice.

Dave