Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: RIS on proposed changes to SIP Scheme.  (Read 14341 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 2
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Borumba dam
Re: RIS on proposed changes to SIP Scheme.
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 10:18:11 AM »
Sorry Tony, I followed the sign from the Highway and couldn't find another one anywhere to direct me to the lake. 
As for FFSAQ, would the money they want come from the 75% of funds that Stocking Groups have to account for or the 25% of funds that DAFF have to account for?  Have they advised "Government" what they need the funds for, and how they would spend the funds?  Isn't $50,000 more than most Volunteer Stocking Groups receive from the SIP Scheme?  Do FFSAQ actually stock any areas?

With respect, that wasn't the question raised in your post...that was an allegation of some back room deal that had already been done... I find that offensive and frankly as I am responsible for the SIP Scheme,  I wont stand for it. The question regarding funding was put to the Minister by FFSAQ and an undertaking was given that the question would be included in the RIS for public comment... end of story.

FFSAQ have indicated that the funds would be used in support of their lobbying activities for their member groups, no detailed expenditure has been provided at this point. There would be an expectation that as they are public funds they would be spent and accounted for, as all grant allocations are in Fisheries. Yes it is a larger sum of money that stocking groups receive...and no they don't stock waterways...as you well know.

As to the question regarding the timeframe...Yes. It's a short RIS, with very little content compared to another we have put out...there is 6 weeks from the opening date. There is no conspiracy about release times, no hidden agendas, no attempt to stifle input, unfortunately resources and work loads have conspired to get it done at this time....

I am always happy to discuss any issues with rec fishers...anyone who knows me will support that...I'm not hard to get in contact with.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 10:37:58 AM »
My apologies Tony, my comments were not intended to offend you, and yes, you are easy to contact. (Hopefully you got my earlier email.)  My comments did however achieve the information that I was looking for.  The RIS is very brief with the reasoning behind FFSAQ's request for funding, and does not outline it as you have done.  With the importance of these changes, what a shame that this information could not be conveyed to all SIP holders.  Surely there is a database available, just don't do what NSW did a few years ago when they emailed all Fishing License holders on an open email and handed out all the email addresses. To rush this RIS through, with what must be a minority of affected users' input will not get an output that will be agreeable to the majority of users.  While Fitzy has a large following with Sweetwater Fishing, and Ray had done a great thing by posting it here, I'm concerned that word has not gone out to enough recreational anglers.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Borumba dam
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 11:28:28 AM »
the 4 extra questions for consultation are not detailed as they are not regulatory changes proposed, unfortunately that is the process......They are asked to gauge the support (or lack of) for the idea..and we will deal with the responses we receive.

We have contacted as many stakeholder groups as possible, including all stocking groups.....so hopefully we will get feedback...info will go out on Social media sites this week as there have been some other issues burning up the airwaves and there is a link on  the DAFF Webpage...

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions Tony.  Fingers crossed for a good result.  I've long held the belief that Queensland's SIP Scheme is one of the best schemes going for sustaining freshwater angling, let's hope for a long and happy future for the SIP.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 06:24:12 PM »
Received from DAFF today;

I would like to inform you that the deadline for submissions to the proposed changes to the SIPS and other matters related to freshwater fishing has been extended to the 27th of January 2015 due to complications with some stakeholders not receiving mail due to the Christmas period. 

Attached is the link to the RIS and submissions https://www.getinvolved.qld.gov.au/gi/consultation/2211/view.html

Thanks Tony.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2014, 09:57:14 AM »
Some more thoughts.......

Border rivers already require a NSW Fishing License. There are several weirs mentioned for inclusion on the SIP (Highlighted below). If these are added, anglers will need a NSW & Qld permit.... double dip, double expense to anlgers. Could this possibly see anglers move upstream / down stream of the backed up waters of the weir to avoid the extra costs thus negating part of the reason for restocking the weir in the first place?

Aplins Weir
Atkinson Dam
Baroon Pocket Dam
Beebo Weir
Beehive Dam
Ben Anderson Barrage
Ben Dor Weir
Black Weir
Bonshaw Weir
Bowen River Weir
Bromelton Weir
Caboolture River Weir
Cecil Plains Weir
Charters Towers Weir
Chinaman Creek Dam
Chinchilla Weir
Claude Wharton Weir
East Leichhardt Dam
Ewen Maddock Dam
Gill Weir
Glebe Weir
Gleeson Weir
Glenarbon Weir
Goondiwindi (Hilton) Weir
Greenup Weir
Hinze Dam
Inglewood (Coolmunda) Town Weir
Jones Weir
Koombooloomba Dam
Lake Belmore
Lake Corella (Corella Park Dam)
Lake Julius (Julius Dam)
Lake Kurwongbah
Lake Moondarra (Leichhardt River Dam)
Lemon Tree Weir
MacIntosh Weir
Miles Weir
Moura Weir
Mt Crosby Weir
Sunny Girl Weir
Surat Weir
Talgai Weir
Whetstone Weir
Woodford Weir
Wyaralong Dam
Yarramalong Weir 

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 10:31:47 PM »
I think it was Q6 that I wrote an extra comment as follows.

1- Include the use of any cray fish traps/apparatus in SIP waterways to require a SIP as well.

2- if non impoundment waterways are added to the SIP permit scheme, an amendment to Section 13a of the Water Act needs to be undertaken to give SIP permit holders to right to travel the beds and banks of those waterways as their right. This would bring Qld into alignment with NSW laws which deem all non tidal waterways to be a highway for the purpose of fishing (which requires a NSW Fishing Permit). Section 13a of the Qld Water Act allows adjoining land holders to non-tidal waterways to deny access along the beds and banks of the waterway, even though the beds and banks are crown land.

Point 1 is up to you.... But on point 2, I would encourage everyone to write the same or similar. That section of the water act is the biggest enemy of sweet water fishing in Qld and pales in comparison to other states. If we're have a fishing license on a river, it should give us right to access the entire river, bed and banks included. If you cannot RE-write this into your own words, at least copy and paste it.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2015, 06:50:39 AM »
Just read the statement & have submitted my thoughts. Should make for some robust discussion at the next stocking group meeting.

Cheers Andrew

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2015, 06:16:18 PM »
SWFSA submission was made before the extension of the closing date.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 07:57:23 AM »
I wouldn't get to worried about it, with the government now in caretaker mode, I'd expect at least another 6 months before you get any action. (If any).