Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Full Dams & Detours  (Read 4384 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
Full Dams & Detours
« on: January 07, 2011, 07:02:54 PM »
I headed off early Boxing Day on my solo trip north to Airlie Beach with the intention of spending a few days with some old friends & a bit of time on the dams of NQ.

Well it was raining when I left Rosewood & by the time I got to Gin Gin it was still raining. I called in & said hello to Foxy & see if it was worthwhile trying to fit a day in on Mondy on my way back .(little did I know, hope Foxy & crew all survived the floods OK). As I left Gin Gin the heavens opened & it started to really hose down, this kept up nearly to Rocky where it cleared & left me with a really good run to Airlie.

After a day or two of reunion drinks & meeting people I snuck away by myself & spent a day on Peter Faust Dam. The dam had started spilling for the first time since it was built the day I got up there & reports of Barra going over the wall were starting to spread. The water must have risen quite a way as I was boating among the tree tops in the valleys that I explored. I spent seven hours on the dam from sunrise on & trolled & flicked lures over a fair bit of country with not a touch. There is a lot of country to explore on this dam & I only saw a little bit of it.

Did a couple of rust water trips with my mate Steve in his Bayliner, nice boat but not a fishing platform, almost felt guilty about boating a fish in it until his mate Richard brought a Trevally in let it bleed on the carpet. Spent a very wet & crazy new years eve in Airlie, made me realise how old I’m getting.

I left Airlie on the 2nd & headed for the Pioneer Valley with the plan to fish Kinchant & Teemburra Dams. I had booked into the Pinnacle Pub which I found in full swing on my arrival. The pub is very popular with weekend tourist traffic & has a real name for its home made pies, which I can guarantee are very nice. The new owners Tamarra & Corry (Ausfish member) are very good hosts & I can reccomend it as a top spot to stay if you are planning any sort of trip up that way. I spent the first day exploring Teemburra Dam which is only ten minutes from the pub. This dam had also just started spilling & more barra were seen taking the plunge, unfortunately this dam has a suicide drop & a lot of fish don’t survive. I sent all day on the dam again trying everything I could for not a bump. Talked to a few guys at the ramp & it was the same story with everybody, the fish had shut down since the dam had risen.
 The next day i went & checked out Kinchant, but with heavy storms & a heap of water lice on the dam I decided to give it a miss & headed back to the pub for another pie & replennish all the lost sweat.Went back to Teemburra for an arvo session, again to no avail, but I did get caught in a storm. I could not see a 100 metres in front of me so I headed for the bank to try & seek some shelter under some bankside vegetation. I tied up to a tree & proceeded to start bailing as the boat was fast filling with water, as I was head down ass up bailing, I got a funny feeling I was being watched, on turning around I came face to face with a young Brahaman bull that did not seem too happy with me invading his bank space. :o
 Fear of sharing my 3mt boat with a cranky bull saw me taking my chances back out on the open water. Soon after the rain cleared & it turned into a beautiful sunset, but still no fish.
 With the flooding further south I decided to spend another day &  decided to go & explore Eungella Dam. This dam is on top of the range & fairly remote with about 30k’s of very washed out dirt road to access it, but well worth the drive. This dam too had filled very quickly over the last week & was very dirty with a lot of floating weed. I trolled accross the basin & up into the trees, but after numerous snags & lots of weed I headed up valley to try the run in for a sooty as suggested by Dick, thanks mate, this resulted in my first Sooty Grunter & the only sweethwater fish of the trip. The fish was caught using a halfounce white spinnerbait.

With all the reports of flooding to the south I decided I better start thinking about how I was going to get home, so early Thursday morning I bid farewell to the Pinnacle Pub & headed west to try & find a route south. I made it to Emerald to be greeted by piles of rubbish in front of shops & some messed up roads but otherwise little evedence of just having gone through a major flood. I called into the local police station to check on road conditions further south, the young police lady just laughed & said go west youg man, so I did, all the way to Barcaldine, all roads heading south of the Capricorn hwy between Emerald & Barcy were closed either due to flooding or roads washed away. The country from Barcaldine all the way back to Toowoomba is just a postcard, I have never seen so much grass, once the pain of the floods receed the bush will be in for some bumper seasons.
So with a 2000km detour my trip north has come to an end, not the sort of fishing report I was hoping for but at least I got one & a new species as well, gotta be happy with that.

Cheers Andrew

Treat the earth as though your grandkids lives depend on it.

4.0 mt Mangrove Mauler
Old Town Vapor 10 Angler
Scrambler 11

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
Re: Full Dams & Detours
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 02:59:11 PM »
Good one Andrew, another variation on the "wet bum and no fish" story. Got to give you big points for persistence. Better luck next time.
Cheers,
JD

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
Re: Full Dams & Detours
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 03:29:07 PM »
Great report Andrew, glad you made it home safely even if it was the long way round.

Congratulations on the Sooty too. :youbeauty

Dave