Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Your opinions please  (Read 7454 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 108
  • -Receive: 102
  • Liked: 4
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Wivenhoe Dam
Your opinions please
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:20:05 AM »

Your suggestions please, for our one month fishing holiday. We are looking for suggestions for fishing locations around Qld, from the Qld / NSW border area, inland a little, and up as far as the Rockhampton area. The wife and I are old hands at Wivenhoe dam, and have fished a couple of other dams, but we would like to expand our experiences to other locations and species of fish that we haven't caught before. This would include Cod, Saratoga and Barramundi.

Last year, whilst browsing the shelves of our favourite toy store ( Charltons Tackle ), I spotted and bought a copy of QUEENSLAND DAMS ( and noticed Fitzys name mentioned a few times ). The information seemed like a goldmine, and we began to plan a month of touring around with our tiny motorhome this coming May. The problem is, with all the rain we've had all over the state, the information may no longer be relevant. Perhaps we should be concentrating BELOW the dams now????

For Barra, we were originally thinking Monduran, Awoonga or even Callide dams.

For Saratoga, perhaps Ewen Maddock.

For Cod, we thought Coolmunda, Glenlyon, or Storm King.

We have Hobie Revolutions and can peddle all day, but portage is out of the question for Ana, as she gets shoulder problems. Fishing off the bank is ok too, if that's the best way to do it.

We'd love to hear your suggestions, and if you care to join us for part of the trip, that's even better.

Cheers

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: Your opinions please
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:52:52 AM »
For Bass, you already are familiar with the best (Wivenhoe) but there are some others.  Perhaps a trip up to Borumba for Bass and 'toga, then across to Cania for more of the same, then to Awoonga, access at Futter Creek (you cross it on the road from Monto) for the dam, or the Boyne, just below the dam.  Another book worth buying is the Barra Highways.  I think Fitz has copies in the Sweetwater Store.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 10:10:10 AM »
As Dale said Borumba & Cania are both well worth a look. Just south of Monto is Waruma Dam, Barra, Bass & Yellow Belly, with free camping right on the water. I would not bother with Storm King for Cod, better cocentrating your efforts on Glen Lyon, Pindari, & the border rivers. Boondooma Dam outside Proston is another good spot where you can camp right on the water. Hope you have a great trip.

Cheers Andrew

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 24
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 11:13:54 AM »
How soon are you going?  If your trip is planned for the next couple of months I would give Awoonga a miss.  Water quality is very poor and most of the barra are now in the Boyne River below the dam.  It will take some time to recover.

Monduran would be a better option but it is a very long paddle from the boat ramp to where fish are being caught.  I have heard of yakkers launching into the Kolan River from the Bruce Hwy bridge well up the system...

Good luck.

Cheers

Pete

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 12:12:43 PM »
Glenlyon

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: around Sunny CQ
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 04:36:53 PM »
Barra are going off in the city limits in Rocky(salt). Not hard to get 10 in a session. Plenty of nice spots around The Caves for fresh water action. Alligator Creek, Hedlow Creek.

Great free camping at Hedlow.

Cheers
Jono

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 09:58:16 PM »
To Dale, Andrew, Pete, Steven and Jono  ..... thanks heaps for your imput. Some changes already to plans , based on your advice.

I encourage everyone to put in 'their 2 cents worth', as it is all useful and very , very much appreciated.

Cheers ... Paul

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 10:24:28 PM »
Sounds like a great trip - Borumba for Toges

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 10:35:50 PM »
Sounds like a great trip - Borumba for Toges

Seems like Borumba is a popular place. I'm convinced ...it's  a 'must do' on our list.

Cheers

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 11:10:37 PM »
Its a very picturesque dam, steep hilly banks and some nice little bays as you work down the basin, then it splits into 2 x feeder arms. The pond lice work the main basin on the week ends, but the bays and down the back are good. Good Bass, Yellows and some Silvers, but the draw card for me is Toges on surface.
2 x camping areas, the Deer Park, and also the camp area under the dam wall, both are run by the same mob I believe.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 05:34:06 AM »
If your camping, I'd suggest Macdonald as an alternative to Ewen Maddock, only a little bit further up the road, has camping at the dam (or did last time I was there)

The bush camp at Leslie dam is a nice spot by all accounts, I'm going for a look week after easter (Sandy creek at Rockingham).

Similarly the bush Camp at Awonga

Theodore is another nice little one or two nighter, free camping in town (walking distance of the pub anyway) on the confluence of the creek and the river, rough but usable boat ramp right there, nice little stop over on your way to Callide. If you want a flash night or two, stay in the cabins at the Pub, right on the river, you can watch the Toga patrolling the river from the cabin verandah.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 08:39:13 AM »
Its a very picturesque dam, steep hilly banks and some nice little bays as you work down the basin, then it splits into 2 x feeder arms. The pond lice work the main basin on the week ends, but the bays and down the back are good. Good Bass, Yellows and some Silvers, but the draw card for me is Toges on surface.
2 x camping areas, the Deer Park, and also the camp area under the dam wall, both are run by the same mob I believe.

Sounds great. Thanks for the detailed info ..... can't wait to try those toga. I actually have caught a small toga before, but as they say "size matters", and that one was rather tiny, so i don't consider that it counts.

Hopefully, I'll have some pics to post after this trip.

Thanks again

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 08:51:36 AM »
The bush camp at Leslie dam is a nice spot by all accounts, I'm going for a look week after easter (Sandy creek at Rockingham).
 you can watch the Toga patrolling the river from the cabin verandah.
Might give Awoonga a miss, based on earlier reply, but bush cam at Leslie sounds good. We are driving a van ( as in the pic ) , so the dirt road will have to be in good nick.
As for being able to watch the Toga from the cabin ..... do you realize that when Ana reads this, you will be responsible for her getting NO sleep whilst there? :) We were staying at Potsville when some areas a little further down the coast from us were evacuated because of flood. It didn't stop Ana. She was fishing in waist deep water at 5am in the middle of winter, in the pouring rain and flooding river, just HOPING to fluke a catch. She's mad keen on her fishing. ( came overall 3rd at Wivenhoe last year ) If she thinks the Toga are active, she will be out there.
Thanks for the tip.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 05:53:28 PM »
A couple of sets of  steps / ledges lead down to the water behind the cabins and pub, the banks are quite overgrown and to much for my wobbly knees, but I flogged every lure at the cruisin toga I had from the bottom of the steps, for nothing.  :o

Got sleepy cod and yella's from the small bank at the end of the camp ground. River is so wide there, could only cast about a 1/4 of the way across, as I was there for work, couldn't take boat or yak, spent 3 months there - next time will have the yak.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 12:28:31 PM »
A couple of sets of  steps / ledges lead down to the water behind the cabins and pub, the banks are quite overgrown and to much for my wobbly knees, but I flogged every lure at the cruisin toga I had from the bottom of the steps, for nothing.  :o

Thanks Binder .... all the tips are great. I  hope we get a lot more before we go. I hope you have success when you go back with the yak.
This will be our longest vacation since we began kayaking, and we intend to make it a ripper. All posts greatfull received. (please keep them coming guys )

Cheers to one and all

ps .... I thought i was giving a thank you to the first 5 replies, but it seems I was thanking myself .... oops .... sorry about that. ( live and learn )

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events