Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Mosquito Repellant  (Read 25346 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Mosquito Repellant
« on: November 23, 2010, 10:19:18 PM »
Heard a new one for keeping mosquitos away from you tent, outdoor area or yourself. Usinng a spray bottle, put some Listerine mouthwash around onto the surfaces in the area. It dries but keeps a smell that apparently mossies don't like.

When I lived / worked out on cattle stations, we used to get cow pats, put them into a 20 litre drum & light them so they'd just smolder away. The smell of the smoke was not the best but it kept the mossies out of camp. Sometimes we'd put 3 drums out around the perimiter to cover wind changes.

Anyone got other mossie repellant ideas?

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
Re: Mosquito Repellant
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 10:31:41 PM »
had one but you got that coverd already  :-\ just trialing insect repllant "OFF" while howling dingoes in thick mossie ridden lantana and scrub so far .... the results arent terribly great  :thumbdown

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 04:35:07 AM »
Plenty of home brew recipe's around involving dettol, lot of people swear by it. Me - if it doesn't say at least 20% DEET on the label I'm not even going to try it!

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 06:52:14 AM »
Another tip with both insect repellants and sunscreens.  Bushmans is good, but be carefull around plastics with it.  I've stuck my arm to the top of a Minn Kota by resting my arm there with Bushmans on.  Pam ripped the chrome off the nose of her reel in PNG by having Bushmans on her glove.  In my old Hornet I kept a pump bottle of sunscreen in the rear of a side pocket.  It leaked a bit, and that part of the pocket had the shiniest alluminium you've ever seen.  It lifted the paint just like paint stripper.  For effectiveness, in PNG with very few mozzies but billions of sandflies in a couple of areas, nothing I found worked.  I had sandfly bites appearing on my neck and back 3 weeks after we got home. 

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 74
  • Liked: 12
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 07:58:02 PM »
the old man calls me a mozzie coil - only because they leave everyone else alone when I'm around :P

having said that, just about all repellants work for me but Rid and Bushman's are a standout.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 44
  • Liked: 13
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Awoonga, Cania, Gladstone
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 09:07:53 PM »
Fizty,

The Listerine is an internet furphy. There have been plenty of studies and DEET is the most effective control at masking the carbon dioxide we expire in our breath and from our skin. Hence the stronger the better, just watch the plastic and paint work

I’m one of the fortunate soles the mozzies tend to avoid, some people say I’m full of sh%t and after reading the earlier post I’ve come to the determination it must be cow sh%t. 

Many people only apply DEET to exposed skin, but it’s far more effective when applied to your skin, clothing, hat and carpet in the boat, the more DEET you apply the more effective it will be at masking your CO2.  Also give the swag a liberal dose before bed

If all else fails take Slates fishing with you and stick him at the other end of the boat.

Regards
Earl

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the fish are
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 09:52:55 AM »
Went up to the Kennedy River last year and no matter what we did we couldn't keep the away.  We had many bottles of OFF! which only seem to work so a short period of time.  The Cow Pat solution was bearly cutting it but then we didn't do the dungs in the drums method. 

I remember lying the the screened off tent and seeing 50 or 60 mozzies trying to get in.  My brother does a lot of research up that way and he  found the tropical strength aeroguard was good but by the end of the trip his watch was melted !!

Gotta wonder what we are putting on our skin ???

Cheers Geoff

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 04:57:32 PM »
Good topic people, and a thoroughly ongoing one I would think, Earl's idea is a good one but doing a short summary of all the DEET required meant I would have to seriously reconsider my load of gear. When I worked up in North Queensland many moons ago we bought Aerogard by the the numerous cartons. But todays insects seem to be completely immune to it. So now it boils down to whether you want to slowly corrode, along with everything you touch or just get Bahmah Forest and Ross River and simply get used to it... Fitzy the cow dung fire works but it's pretty tough on the inside of your boat.
Cheers mate,
JD

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 08:16:03 PM »
Interesting subject here guys (as I sit scratching the numerous sandlfy bites that I copped over the last few days) -     

Tropical strength aeroguard .... was no deterent at all

Bushmans is the best (the gel) - it is a pain in the butt as it is slimy sticky stuff - but sandlys die as they cannot fly off -  came to realise this when fly fishing in the Southern Is of NZ (home of the mega nasty sand fly)  ..... then comes the yellowish can & the green (but the sprays need to be applied often..... hourly)  .
sadly as Dale has stated .... Bushmans eats plastics and paint - BIG TIME!.

So why am I sitting here scratching ???  -    because I got smashed on arrival at our camp site & was too keen to bother about using any ...... just the  TS Aeroguard  -    GAME OVER

Chris

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 20
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Sandy Straights
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 07:59:29 AM »
Saw an ad the other day for insect proof clothing - think it was Bisley.  Anyone tried them?

I have always found that loose fitting long clothing works well.  They seem to bight through tigher stuff.

Steve

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 11:40:01 AM »
Spoke to an American in PNG last year.  He works in Port Moresby for the Gas Pipeline mob.  He is supplied the insect repellant clothing and must wear it when he's in PNG.  He says it works, but is fairly hot.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
  • Life's short - Runamuck!
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Wonderful Wivenhoe
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 08:46:24 PM »
Having worked for a pharmaceutical company, I can advise the following: (the following I have pulled from a couple of sites I am aware of)

Picaridin: A truly effective alternative to DEET 
Picaridin is a truly effective alternative to DEET that provides long lasting protection. Developed to be more pleasant to use, it is odorless, with a light, clean feel. Picaridin is scientifically formulated for everyone in the family.
Picaridin, also known around the world as KBR3023, or Bayrepel (trademark of Bayer AG) was developed by Bayer, who began its research for a new active ingredient in the 1980s. Bayer's long history of investigating, developing and producing repellents provided in-depth knowledge for creating an ideal insect repellent.

PICARIDIN has been used worldwide since 1998, and is one of the best selling active ingredients in Europe and Australia. It has been recommended by the World Health Organization as the best protection against Malaria.

It is now in a wipe for controlled protection Odorless No chemical odor and no added fragrance Feels light and clean on your skin.
It will not harm plastics or other synthetic materials.

Brand:  Cutter 15% Picaridin Advanced Sport Aerosol 6 oz.
Available from Amazon.com and on ebay. Not sure where it sells in stores. Worth a bit of research.  Cheers. VG

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 09:09:26 PM »
Had some bloke trying to flog those suites at the fishing club for about $35 each. I find it hard to believe those flimsy looking things would put a mosquito off when the sods will bite you through a fishing shirt rated at SPF50 like it wasn't there. They dont cover your face and hands either, so unless its mid summer I prefer good old king gee. Lets see them bite through that!

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 08:49:46 PM »
I'll bet they don't bite thru Johnny Mitchell's footie shirt!
JD

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Any small streams, rivers or estuaries
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 06:53:10 AM »
Thanks for that info VG.

My daughter attracts biting insects, poor kid. Cops all the jokes about, ' always invite her to BBQs etc. '

Will have to track some down for her.

Regards Gordon

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events