Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Hello, and some NA Fish.  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Gatton
Hello, and some NA Fish.
« on: July 16, 2015, 07:59:08 PM »
Hey guys, figured i'd double this first post as a report also.

Went fishing for the first time (on my third visit) to the US of A! Have a long distance girlfriend over there, hopefully she's coming here next time  :D

Just local around Enid, Oklahoma with the missus. All fish were a blast to catch! No monsters, but i was happy with every single one of them.

Was tempted to post this as "What are these fish? Caught near Brisbane" lol.

Here's an ID list i was given about them.

"1st: green sunfish
2nd: bluegill
3rd: bluegill
4th: crayfish of some kind
5th: turtle
6th: turtle
7th: turtle
8th: snake
9th: lake
10th: largemouth bass (most likely though in OK there may be a similar local variant bass)
11: beautiful green sunfish
12: green sunfish (note the orange and white fringes on all of the green sunfishes)
13: thumb in wrong place  :^)
14: probably a longear sunfish
15: creek
16: creek
17: likely longear sunfish
18: bluegill
19: bluegill
20: channel catfish
21: beach"

Rod was a Pen "Goliath" Fishing Rod (Pen, not Penn) with whatever real they come with, and 4lb line. Used a mix of worms and chicken liver as bait, and caught a few on "Bitsy Minnows" at Meadowlake (the lures).

I must say, after using these little rods my normal one back home feels huge!

First up was the Waterworks Pond. We only got panfish here, and a couple turtles (Skye caught the scary Snapping Turtle haha, then i had to deal with it!).

So Common Snapping Turtle, Red Eared Slider, and a Grahams Crayfish Snake.
We also saw another species of watersnake, and a Water Moccasin.

Then we went to MeadowLake, and i used the lures to start. Caught my first and only bass of the trip. I was fishing the little stream/creek that flows into it, was about a foot deep.

First up is this little Largemouth Bass.

This little gutsy fellow was also caught on the lure! As were the 3 above. the last fish pictured was on liver right before i left (and also the only cast i used bait on).

Then we went to Roman Nose Lake. Caught a few panfish, the biggest being 7 1/2". Pretty fish, whatever they are.

Final place was Canton Lake. Put on a bit of chicken liver under a bobber and cast out. Within 10 seconds it went under and Skye hooked up. She didnt want to fight what felt much bigger than what we had being catching, so handed it to me and i finished it off for her. Team effort :grin: The pic is where we caught it, was right on the edge of the murky water.

Here we got this nice Channel Catfish. Was 24" long, gave the little rods and 4lb a good work out. Hook pulled RIGHT at the bank, but luckily managed to grab and land it! Tasty, too!

All in all it was a great trip. I think next time i go back will get a permit to chase Paddlefish (with heavier gear!) and take the Pens back for Gar.

Cheers guys,
Troy.