Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Homemade scores a surface bass.....  (Read 5495 times)

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 25
  • Liked: 29
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Ever changing
Homemade scores a surface bass.....
« on: October 09, 2011, 03:05:37 PM »
I finally got to test a lure I made ages ago with bass in mind as a target. It basically is a piece of 12mm dowell 50mm long with two clumps of silicone sili legs (fly tying material) pulled through holes in the back end. A hole was drilled through the centre down its length and a piece of SS wire approx.1mm thick doubled over and pushed up through the back and twisted several times into a loop to act as an eye. A split ring was fitted to the tail and a single Owner 2 x #6 treble fitted. I ground the front of the dowell before fitting the wire using a conical shaped grinding bit to give it a slight cupping for a subtle plopping noise. Some holographic mylar from some Xmas/party poppers was glued to the dowell as well as some fly tying eyes about 7 mm across. The tail end and the points where the rubber legs came out were coated with some 3d t-shirt art glue which had a bit of glitter in it. The rest had a coat of epoxy. On the first trial last night it cast like a dream being tail weighted and hung in the water with it's head just above the surface allowing a nice wake producing walking retrieve or a nice soft popping that was followed by a seductive wiggle. I was stoked with the action and Adam was quite impressed. I gave heaps of long pauses as it was around 5 ish in the arvo and the shadows reached right out to the lily pads 15-20 metres in front of us. Adam and myself were just chatting about trying to get it to walk better while the lure just sat out in the open half way between the bank and the lilies when suddenly it just exploded pulling drag straight away. There came this horrible sound of braid against structure but we quickly worked out it was the noise as the braid sliced through the weed stems as the bass powered through them. Everthing held together a a nice bass in the mid 30's came to hand. A couple of quick pics and happily it swam away. We were blown away by the hit which topped off what was looking like a write off day because of the rain. We both ended up with three bass each and a few spanglies but the last fish made the day. I think I'll be making some more of these now and they have been dubbed the Wiggle Stick. Cheers Pat.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
Re: Homemade scores a surface bass.....
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 03:36:01 PM »
Simple, :youbeauty but effective!

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 03:42:19 PM »
Cheers mate I'll be knocking a few more of those out. Might even try some smaller say 8mm and some in balsa for the flyrod. I'll be giving the Wiggle another wiggle this arvo once the shadows get longer. Thanks Pat

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 140
  • -Receive: 81
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 07:28:21 AM »
Congrats on that DIY result Pat, would be very rewarding mate :Clap)

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 05:35:08 PM »
Cheers Dodge got another smaller one last night on a different homemade lure dubbed "Shallow Hal" capturing the surface hit and tussle on video. I didn't get any still pics and aren't too cluey about editing the vid as when I went to upload it it exceeded the max. kB so may try to put it on my blog. Thanks Pat