Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: All quiet on the Brisbane River  (Read 22491 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
All quiet on the Brisbane River
« on: October 23, 2010, 03:39:35 PM »
Daniel & I hit the Brisbane River at Twin Bridges early this morning with thoughts of big bass hitting surface lures as we tested out our new Malibu 2 XL Angler.

We headed up river expecting some good fishing after the recent water releases from Wivenhoe, however I'm starting to think all the fish are now residing behind Moreton Island. I trolled a Jazz lure Tenterfield shrimp as well as casting  surface lures & spinnerbaits right up to the Lowood bends & back without a touch ???

Daniel spotted a fish floudering  some way off & we called it for a power tail, but as  we got closer I realised it was a Bass & a big one. I mannaged to get a grip around its tail & could see that it was pretty badly nocked about. The fish was well over 50cm  & solid, as I tried to get another hand under her she gave a big flick & dissapeared into the murky waters.
A number of dead Boney Bream were spotted as well as a few live ones & Gar jumping through thje pipes at the crossing.

A lot of changes have occured & old snags have dissapeared forever only to be replaced with a whole new scenario. Not sure where the fish are, maybe they are still thinking WTF or they may have headed further down stream to get in on,  ;D which could only be a good thing for the future, depending on your view on genetic purity.

The kayak went well althought I need to sort out some better rod holder scenarios & some better cushioning, my butt is sore.

Heading to Moogerah tomorrow with the boat & the kayak, all the family on the water, :thumbsup lets hope the fish are biting there.

Cheers Andrew

Treat the earth as though your grandkids lives depend on it.

4.0 mt Mangrove Mauler
Old Town Vapor 10 Angler
Scrambler 11

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
Re: All quiet on the river
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 04:38:04 PM »
Glad to hear you got into a kayak Andrew.

I went there yesterday to check it out. After negotiating the car park I was on the water only to discover it was way too dirty still. Likewise I was amazed at how the river had changed after the outpouring. The small river flat on the right where the private campground was awash with mud but like everything on the river it will be back to normal when in all settles. maybe a week or two more.

There was a fair flow there too, until such time as the Lockyer stops spilling over the weir upstream will it start to clear up me thinks.

Cheers

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 05:04:18 PM »
Yeah , ditto for me aswell . I fished the river on friday arvo , for a donut !!Threw everything at them . Saw plenty of pelicans and cormorants which was very unusual for the river ( most of them are up on the dam ) , maybe they know something we don't . Also spotted a pair of male carpet pythons all twisted up in combat , if they were a male and female pair  the horizontal folk dance is a much quieter affair .

Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 29
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 05:17:43 PM »
Spot on all,

The turkey shoot is not apparent yet, I have spent a couple of hours at my local little creek and it too has had a backyard blitz applied to it!!!  Scary that a 20ft log that once laid parrallel to the bank is now gone and no evidence of where it ended up either  :o  I too noted that there was still a little flow in the water well after the event and it too was a little murky.   No harm in persistance though back on Monday morning for another crack!! :thumbsup  Given the amount of water that went through my spot the thought that they are hiding behind Morteon is not far off  ;)  Cant wait to get my hands on a Yak and have a good look around my area though.

Regards
Colin

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 07:03:51 PM »
Keep us posted how you go at Moogerah Andrew  :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 09:24:43 PM »
A good source tells me they're into some big bass in the Brisbane River, but neither source revealed where. Had anyone gone for a walk down from Mt Crosby yet? (remembering not to fish the closed waters)

If I wasn't out of town for work I'd be spending some days there. Andrew if you found a big bass floating, there'll be others around. The Bremer River could be worth trying in a week or two.....  ;) Got a 53cm bass at the mouth of Bundamba Creek after the last flood.

fitz..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 05:59:27 AM »
Great read fella's!

I'm still trying to get my head around when, where and how to catch these Bass in different times when we are presented with so many contrasting conditions, especially in the past couple of years or so. It has been a hit and miss affair for me too.

Andrew did that floundering Bass have any sores on it? I can remember last year when I was fishing one of my local haunts up here after a good run of fresh that there were a lot of fish floating, not looking too well with sores on them resulting in a fish kill. Such a shame!

You'll have to Christen the yak on the next voyage, keep us posted.

Cheers Dave

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 07:10:14 AM »
Thanks guys,
I have'nt worked out where the yak is going to live yet so I guess I may as well leave it on the ute, I'll just tell the Mrs it's exercise :D

Dave it has been a challenging time of late, I know I have had more fishless trips  than ones to brag about, but hopefully with good water about now we may be in for some good times.
The injuries that I could see on the Bass were consistent with a trip down a big concrete slippery dip :o
I suspect the sores noticed on fish after a fresh may have something to do with contaminated run off especially around more urban areas.

Thanks for the tip Fitzy I intend on exploring my local creek now that I have the means  :youbeauty
Off to Moogerah soon & hopefully christen my new fishing partner.

Cheers Andrew

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 06:40:31 PM »
Ended up further down the river this arvo, due to time constraints & dress parties ( that she really would like to go to) the trip to Moogerah was postponed. We put in at Riverside estate & worked the banks for a k or so for no result. Talked to a couple bait fishing & they only had a few small catfish. The river is still dirty with lots of debris stuck in bankside vegetation.
Rest of the family got to try out the yak & it's all a big :youbeauty

Cheers Andrew

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 01:10:36 PM »
Dropped the kayak in at the Lowood bends this morning & fished down stream, for a couple of K's with not a touch :(
Ran into a couple of yakers Paul & Craig i think, also doing it hard at the moment.
Fair bit of flow in the river, had to work pretty hard getting back through the shallows
Saw a few big dead Bass :(

Cheers Andrew

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 01:21:23 PM »
I'm hoping to do the Twin Bridges to Savages run on Sunday to see what's changed.  Those Bass have to be somewhere.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 09:05:24 PM »
I launched at College's crossing this afternoon, paddled upstream as far as I could go ( the current in some sections is impassable in a small yak) . The water is still murky , I doubt that you could see as far as your elbow in it . Caught zero fish , with only one bump on a popper right on dark in the bay area down from the cafe .

About half a dozen shore based anglers , looked like they were using bait , I didn't witness them catch any fish either.

Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
Re: All quiet on the Brisbane River
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 05:42:23 AM »
sh!t Dave

was gunna hit that area this week end

oh well.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 103
  • Liked: 26
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 06:10:45 AM »
the bass are at crosby with a few mid 40s being caught this week. i hear they are in the areas down stream of the old weir  ;)

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 07:23:29 AM »
I have been watching the BOM site everyday. Somerset and Wivenhoe both continue to rise.

They seem to be dropping these dams from time to time and it was apparent to be the case when I paddled Twin Bridges last Friday. The water was super dirty and was running brisk.

O'Reilly's Weir which is on the Lockyer river and is between the wall of Wivenhoe and Twin Bridges has been over the top of the weir all this time as well. Fitz and others have told me the Wivenhoe water was running fairly clear so all this dirty water has to be coming from the Lockyer Creek.

I think until such time as the Lockyer Creek stops flowing into the Brisbane river will the water start to clear up. Dave tells me the water is much clearer above the Lockyer out flow as he has been taking a look from Shines Road in the Pocket. If we don't get any more rain for a while, the creek will drop below the weir, this morning on the Bom Site it is at 14cm above and dropping slowly.

So I reckon another week, when the Oreilly's weir stops flowing over and if we don't get any more rain the river might start to clear up.

Cheers