Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Townsville Fishing Report 19-02-2015  (Read 3367 times)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Townsville Fishing Report 19-02-2015
« on: February 23, 2015, 10:27:52 PM »
Townsville Fishing Report 19-02-2015

Dropping Catches
The weather has pushed many fishermen up the rivers and into the tighter water to seek some refuge from the wind.  Whilst most of the Barra have been down towards the river mouths and headlands, there have been a few smaller Barra in the upper reaches. We went for a flick up one of the local rivers on the weekend, and during the initial stages of the run out tide it was very quiet as the bait was still up in the drains leaving the predators out of reach in the back of the mangroves. It was the last two hours of the run out that action started to happen, and for some reason, I just couldn't make the hooks stick. Terry and Cameron managed a few fish each, but I could only manage to land one reasonable Jack and a piddley little Cod for my efforts. Getting the bite is the first step towards success, but converting that to a hook up is the most important aspect of this type of fishing, and I had a shocker. They weren't just picking bites either, as some of them were thumping strikes that even pulled line from a 'come 'ere' drag setting, but I could only pull the one Jack. It was hilarious, and every time my line would spring tight and go limp again, we all just laughed as it ended up being the expected result every time.

I suppose the reason that I put this in the report this week is because we all meet fisho's that seem to get a bit frustrated at the results of a day on the water, and you can feel the frustration as they describe their bad luck trips. We all have a bad run every now and then, and if you let it get to

you it can ruin a day in some pretty special environments. Stay positive and keep on trying new stuff, and eventually it will all come together again...hopefully...one day!

Finger-mark firing on Quickcatch Vibes
There are still some nice Finger-mark getting involved in the deeper holes towards river mouths, and apart from live baits bringing some undone, the Quickcatch vibes are proving very effective and the new colour range is very wide, so come in and check out the number one selling soft vibe, hands down. Getting them to the bottom in in the bigger tides is has been the secret though, and as the tides back off a bit over the next few days it should make it easier to do, as long as the tide reductions don't take the Choppers out with them.  There should be plenty of Barra on the move in the deep, but they will move up stream as the tides back off a bit.  Along the rock walls the Barra have been have a bit more consistent, but generally speaking they have been pretty quiet. Apparently the commercial sector has been taking some big fish from the river mouths though, so hopefully there are still a few left for the weekend for us recreational type.

Offshore Antics
Offshore, there has still been a lot of wind and those who have braved the conditions have landing plenty of small mouth, and a few Largies as well as Trout.  However the Mack's are still snipping of plenty of lures off during a session. A ganged Pillie may change the results a bit. This weekend’s weather is the best looking it's going to be for a stint of offshore, and with the weather being as unstable as it has been, there should be lots more action on the reefs and shoals. Bait wise, Gar Fillets, Cuttlies, Squid and Pillies should all get eaten after the bad weather we’ve had.

Crabs have been a plenty on the big tides, and Cameron Earl even nailed a golden on a soft Prawn imitation the other day casting at a drain. We also dropped several Barra up to 80 or so centimetres, so maybe this could be worth a try with the shallow divers and Prawns.

Good luck, and watch out for the Crocs at the moment as they really seem to be on the move.

Cheers, Hodgie and the Akwa Team.

Hodgie