Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Do we bring the yaks?  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 108
  • -Receive: 102
  • Liked: 4
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Wivenhoe Dam
Do we bring the yaks?
« on: May 19, 2017, 08:00:56 AM »
Hi Folks. Planning our first trip out through some of our Western Qld towns for five weeks starting early July, and wondering if taking the kayaks is a good idea. For the most part, we will be roughly following the A2 in our Landcruiser, towing a semi- off road caravan, and travelling with another couple driving a Toyota Coaster, free camping wherever possible. Both vehicles adhere strictly to the Leave No Trace policy. Our companions don’t own kayaks and are not really fishos, but don’t mind wetting a line from a bank.
We have Hobie kayaks with mirage drives. Ana has shoulder and elbow problems, so paddling or dragging the yak across rocks or land is too difficult for her. Using the mirage drive is a must, but are the western waterways suitable? Are they deep enough with not too many submerged trees and other hazards waiting to destroy the flippers of the drive? The old saying is that it’s better to take something and not need it, than need it and not have it, but geeze, it adds weight and takes up a lot of valuable space. ( I must admit, we take far too much gear with us ). As well as that, we have to consider that I am 60, and lugging the yaks on and off the cruiser every time we stop is no easy task on your own.
This will be our first time playing tourist out west, and as mentioned, we will be heading out on the A2, passing through Dalby, Chinchilla, Miles, Roma, Mitchell and will leave it for a bit after Morven to check out Charleville, before heading north to once again join the A2 near Augathella, and passing through Tambo, Blackall, Barcaldine, Longreach and Winton.
If we don’t take the yaks, will we be kicking ourselves for missing out on some fantastic fishing locations? Or are there enough accessible places to fish from the shore with a fair chance of catching something? We intend visiting all the normal tourist spots, taking in the Stockmans Hall of Fame, the Qantas Museum, the Dinosaur Trail, The Cosmos Centre, Royal Flying Doctor Service etc etc, but when free or low cost camping, we will stay near the water whenever possible. Even when not fishing, there is something magical about waking up near the water.
Thanks to information posted on our favorite site ( Sweetwaterfishing, of course ) there seems to be quite a few nice places, especially in the Chinchilla and Miles areas. We would love to hear what everyone’s favorite camping / fishing areas are, and what your opinion is …. Take the yaks, or free up some space and still enjoy wetting a line without them? Maybe if we are lucky, we might even meet some Sweetwater members in the areas we are travelling through.
Any info you can share would be much appreciated.
Cheers … Paul and Ana

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 21
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
Re: Do we bring the yaks?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 07:16:01 AM »
That is a really tough question...........is it worth the hassle? I'll start by saying I don't know the areas you are going. On the other hand, I do know what it's like to be standing on the bank & looking at a big waterhole & wishing I could explore it further. (Which is why I bought I kayak). I don't have an answer. Hopefully someone with local knowledge will help you out. Good luck with the trip regardless. Cheers.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 108
  • -Receive: 102
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Wivenhoe Dam
Re: Do we bring the yaks?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 07:47:52 AM »
Thanks mate. Yeah, being a spectator is a downer for sure. I'm sure I will curse myself whichever decision I make.
Cheers