Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Lake Jindabyne Fishing Report 26 November 2013  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Jindabyne
Lake Jindabyne Fishing Report 26 November 2013
« on: November 26, 2013, 11:39:05 PM »

Lake Jindabyne
Trout Fishing Report.
26th November 2013
By Steve Williamson. –
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Adventures.
0408 024436                      Shop -02 64561551
Fishing Roundup
After 3 days fishing the other side of the mountain in my Exploring the Khancoban District fly fishing weekend tour, I learnt one thing and that is that the season over there is no different than over here and that is it is very late. Grasshoppers are late, white moth is late, only saw a couple of tea trees in flower and very few tea tree beetles and so I don't think I saw a fish rise in 3 days but we did manage to get a few fish to rise while fishing a dry with a nymph dropper. All fish caught were small but we did have a great time. One thing is the waters were in great shape and when the season starts to fire the fishing is really going to be hot. If interested in joining me for my February Explore Khancoban Fly Fishing Weekend, I have one cancellation and one room now available at our accommodation either for a single person or 2 people share. bookings only by calling my shop on 02 64561551.[/font]
[font=]Meanwhile back in Jindabyne, the weekends fishing was once again as fickle as the weather. Warm days, cool days and wet days and sunny days. Yesterday I left Khancoban at 9.30am with temperatures just under 20 degrees, over the top of the mountain at Thredbo it was about 7 degrees and raining and arrived back in Jindabyne at 11am to 9 degrees and showers. Today it is warm and sunny and we might even reach 25 degrees C.[/font]
[font=]Well the trout fishing is about the same as the weather at the moment with good and bad days but with persistence comes success, so get on out there and wet a line. It’s the ONLY way to catch a fish at the moment.

Post your photos with a trout and a Tasmanian Devil or Rapala lure and win prizes in our weekly best fish competition.

LAKE LEVEL and TEMPERATURE
The temperature today was 15 degrees C and should rise this week.
Best methods to catch a trout.
Best method – Bait off the shore with scrubworms.
Best lake lure –Tasmanian Devil Willys Special or 5cm Rainbow Trout Rapalas.
Best lake area – Claypits and Hatchery Bay.
Best fly method lake – Mudeye Patterns and Williamson’s Goldfish.
Best River Fly Fishing–  Black nymphs but may see some dry fly mid week.
Best River Lures –Rapalas in BT and RT and Bullet lures in RT and BT.

Let’s have a look at what the fishing is going to be like over the next few weeks.
Trolling.
Some surface action now early with leadlines later and downriggers by middle of the day.
Best colour Tassies have been green and gold (Willy’s Special) yellow and black Tassies at the moment, maybe Y82, Holographic or Brown Bomber as well. Rapalas like the Brook Trout pattern of Perch pattern have still been very successful. I would also try a Gillies Wobbler for something different and on the downrigger it might be worth trying out the LED flashing Balista lure. Whatever you use at the moment try teaming them up with attractors like cowbells, fenders or dodgers and if you don’t like the drag caused by some of these come in to my shop and have a look at some of the “mini” attractors we have for sale. Why not try soft plastics behind a dodger or cowbells. Come into my shop and we will show you all the best setups.
Lake Bait Fishing 
(Primarily most rivers and streams in the Snowy Mountains Region are fly and lure only, We recommend that you first check with the Department of Industry and Investment NSW (NSW Fishing rules) as to which rivers in the area you can legally bait fish in. IF IN DOUBT DON’T BAIT FISH in the RIVERS!)
Shore based bait fishing continues to be good with local Scrubbies, and artificial baits the best. The success of artificial baits is starting to improve over recent days also.
The Claypits, Hatchery Bay and Creel Bay.
Lake Spinning
No change in the lure spinning. Same lures are still working but like the trolling most lures will work ok if you’re in the right place for an aggressive trout. Blades in gold have been doing well at the moment. Try a Strike Pro Cyber Vibe 50 or a TT Switchblade. Also throw in a Bullet lure is natural colours as well
The Tasmanian Devil Holographic, Pink, orange, Y82 and Y48 have all been good and so is the 111 Willies Special.
Minnow lures like floating Rapalas, (especially jointed Rapalas and give the Scatter Raps a try they have a fabulous action.), Stumpjumpers and other minnow style lure in either natural rainbow trout and brown trout patterns or gold colours to represent the Jindabyne goldfish that the trout love to chase and eat.
River Spinning.
On the Thredbo most trout are still in the very deep pools where you can’t see them. I suggest working the bottom with lures or soft plastics.
Bullet Lures I am sure will be well worth a throw on the Thredbo River and the Strike Tiger range in more natural colours might just work well first up. I would look at RT and BT Rapalas in the CD version.
Fly Fishing Lake
Should see an improvement this week with early and late in the day best with black or olive Woolley Bugger, a Craig’s Night time or a Williamson’s Goldfish will be worth using.
The shallow bays on the lake are worth a try but you have to be very quiet and not too many casts in one spot so as not to spook the trout.
Fly fishing Rivers and Streams
Still not a lot of bugs about to excite the trout into action. Nymphs are still the best flies to use at the moment but when that weather warms up mid this week there should be an improvement and maybe some dry fly, but that’s what I said last week and I was partly wrong.

For visitors to the Snowy’s we have a full range of fishing tackle for hire at my shop and fishing tours are now available.

For more information on the latest fishing conditions, please call into –
STEVE WILLIAMSON’S TACKLE SHOP
             Shop 1 Snowline Centre, Kosciuszko Road Jindabyne 2627
Fishing Charters – Bait and Tackle Supplies- Marine Supplies