Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Connors River Dam  (Read 6917 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 16
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Connors River Dam
« on: August 06, 2012, 08:25:52 AM »
Just read that Sunwater has discontinued work on the Connors River Dam and pipeline project.  :Clap) Great news as this area is still in pristine condition and will remain that way for a while yet.
There is a press release on the Sunwater site, but I'm not sure how to put the link up for you to read.
 :youbeauty :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
SunWater discontinues work on Connors River Dam and Pipelines Project
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 09:01:18 AM »
SunWater discontinues work on Connors River Dam and Pipelines Project
27 Jul 2012

SunWater is disappointed to announce that it will not be proceeding with the Connors River Dam and Pipelines Project at this time.

SunWater acknowledges that while the State Government is supportive of the $1.3 billion Connors River Dam and Pipelines Project, SunWater cannot continue to undertake project activities without financial support and commitment of customers.

SunWater’s Chief Executive Peter Boettcher said the Connors River Dam and Pipelines Project aimed to meet water supply needs of coal mining customers and the local communities in the Bowen and Galilee Basins.

“A number of changes to our customers’ project timeframes and investment horizons have resulted in an incompatibility of timing for customer financial commitments to the project priorities. This means that SunWater is unable to continue with the Connors River Dam project at this time,” Mr Boettcher said.

“We remain firmly committed to providing water supply solutions for the region and will continue to work closely with the industry and the communities in the Bowen and Galilee basins to identify and deliver alternative water supply options that provide a better alignment between project investment requirements and customers’ commercial timeframes,” he said.

According to Mr Boettcher, despite this outcome the project achieved many significant milestones thanks to the hard work and dedication of the project team and contractors, and with the support of customers and stakeholders.

“The work completed on this project has been first rate, and has been recognised as such by our owners, customers, suppliers and stakeholders,” he said.

“We remain committed to delivering vital bulk water infrastructure to support Central Queensland’s coal industry’s future and providing long-term benefits for the region’s economy and its communities,” Mr Boettcher said.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 8
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Central Qld
Re: Connors River Dam
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 01:37:06 PM »
Just means the 6 or so engineers that were assigned this...are now working on the Nathan Dam project - at warp speed. Connors may have been pristine....but it is ugly country :-\. Nathan on the other hand....

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 06:39:01 PM »
Just means the 6 or so engineers that were assigned this...are now working on the Nathan Dam project - at warp speed. Connors may have been pristine....but it is ugly country :-\. Nathan on the other hand....

I'm pretty familiar with both rivers ie Connors & Dawson at the dam sites. Both are unique and special to me, I'd not like to see either dammed, but agree that the section of Dawson River would be a greater loss than the upper Connors.....

If an bum breathing turtle can beat the Traveston Dam, (many don't know there's a Connors River Clacker Breather as well), pity there aint one up the Dawson River as well...

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 09:18:46 PM »
I saw this thread and I wondered where the Connors river maybe, found it on Google Earth and read about the river, seems like an unique river. Glad to hear ir is not been dammed, hopefully that is a permanent decision. I found this article on fishing monthly, sounds like a great spot to chase Sooties and Toga's, http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/Articles/Display/8647-Toga-on-the-Connors

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 105
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 10:30:41 PM »
“A number of changes to our customers’ project timeframes and investment horizons have resulted in an incompatibility of timing for customer financial commitments to the project priorities."

::) I read that as saying, "the miners we asked for financial assistance in the projects said......Bugger that, get some funds back from the mining tax buddy"
 ;D

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 07:27:07 PM »
I'm not familiar with what section of the Dawson is being dammed but the Dawson river in general would be nowhere near as healthy as the upper Connors/Isaac.
I fish the Connors frequently and the water condition is great. Having just crossed the Dawson this afternoon it is still quite murky and you just have to look at the state of the banks to see why.
What's another barrier across the Dawson going to matter anyway?  :( it is already constrained at numerous locations throughout its length unlike the Connors.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 11:49:54 PM »
I'm not familiar with what section of the Dawson is being dammed but the Dawson river in general would be nowhere near as healthy as the upper Connors/Isaac.
I fish the Connors frequently and the water condition is great. Having just crossed the Dawson this afternoon it is still quite murky and you just have to look at the state of the banks to see why.
What's another barrier across the Dawson going to matter anyway?  :( it is already constrained at numerous locations throughout its length unlike the Connors.

The Dawson in general has copped a flogging for sure. However If you get a chance take a look at the Dawson around Precipice National Park, upstream of Gyranda Wier, magical country under threat. IMHO Better than most water on the Connors, tho I do like the upper Connors.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 8
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Central Qld
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 08:55:20 AM »
Sorry for making it an argument - our place is better than yours (that wasn't the intention!!!)
I was really trying to point out the beauty of the intended dam proposal area as Fitzy has highlighted - it really is some of the most picturesque country in not only Queensland but Australia. I understand that water is the life-blood of mining and agriculture communities and when I put little natives in these water-bodies and then people catch grown-up versions of them a couple of years later, it gives me personal and professional joy. I also understand that a lungie or a bum-breathing turtle can topple a major water infrastructure project.....I just cannot for the life of me understand how come, beauty can't!!!!
Saying this I am probably selling the Upper Connors short.....beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I believe

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 09:49:05 AM »
@ Pilly. I've not been around the Isaac / Connors Junction area, nor much up the Isaac at all really. What is the country like around there? Much damage from clearing / cattle / mining?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 06:56:10 PM »
Fitzy, it is in surprisingly good condition compared to the other western rivers of the Fitzroy Basin. There are signs of cattle grazing to the waters edge in parts but I think the low turbidity is due to the sandy soil types. So far there are no mines that I am aware of that have been built along the banks of these rivers. Large cattle stations still cover the majority of this area and therefore public access to the rivers is very limited.