Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...

General Category > General Discussion

ABT Barra Tournament Boater/Non-Boater Negativity???

(1/6) > >>

Bracey:
G'day all,

In the recent years aquiring knowledge and skills as a reacreational Barra angler, I thought I might take a couple of weeks off at years end and enter into the Barra ABT events, hoping to form a team and maybe enter as a non-boater in the now, one chosen event. Never entering into a tournament before I don't know what to expect. The reasoning behind my thoughts to enter was I thought it would be very social and it would be awesome to put some faces to some names and share thoughts and ideas with other like minded Barra anglers.

After browsing the ABT Barra Tournament website, I gathered there was a lot of negativity with possibly regular team competitors with events being held as a boater/non-boater event which would be run just like the Bass and Bream tournaments.

How is the ABT Barra tournament going to attract more competitors and grow especially when these events can be so tough and competitive at the best of times even for the best? Would it even out the playing field if these events were held as boater/non-boater event sharing points between the boater and non-boater. Point stacking to a leading team member would be eliminated then, wouldn't it? Would this attract more competitors? The downfall is though that there may not be many positions for new competitors as non-boaters anyway.

I was just keen to hear your thoughts and ideas on the above matter and if there was any constructive criticism, it would be posted in a respectable manner. With several events cancelled already for the 2011 calender due to a few circumstances, I would hate to see the demise of this event and the loss of sponsors.

Kind regards

Dave

Johnny Mitchell:
Dave,
 Imagine a budding, keen, skilled angler spending a years worth of travel fees on fuel and the like to learn as much as they can- and the angler fine tuning their skills, knowledge and stealth- and are ready to compete at their new found level and axe a win. In jumps a non boater who happens to have far less skills, is noisy on deck, and scares more barra than he catches. The skilled angler who trained and paid the $ to improve is now being punished for that; fishing in variables now out of his control, variables that were able to be controled by 'own partner' selection.
 Many competition barra anglers secretly want that podium finish- they want the gloss that comes with that. This is evident by the way last year's tour was played out and the fact the rule book was opened and microscoped- only to find conflicting material from years previous.
Many team members like to keep their knowledge on board their own boat or in their own circle- rather than share it- why- because really, that's what comps are about. You don't see the Broncos ring up the Roosters and share tactics. Warney never rang Gangully and told him about a new ball grip.
Fishing guides are the teachers in the barra world. They can teach you more than any other. If you want to learn- track a good one down.
Personally, I think this ABT hiccup is based on a conflict of "he who keeps knowledge, keeps on winning, and those that do share, rarely get the recognition for it!"
Some anglers also enjoy the spirit of fishing with a team mate, year in, year out- just for a fun holiday and a few laughs.
If you want serious learning, you won't find it with ABT barra.
On a side note- I've enjoyed working with the Taylor twins for 5 years in a row.  Keeping the system as 'own picked team mate' only has allowed the cream to rise to the top and to see what was possible when like minded heads get together.
Johnny

Bracey:
Thanks for your response Johnny, I can totally understand where you are coming from  in regards to the time, money and training that many keen competitive anglers put in for competing at this level and how they probably feel towards sharing information and how they may feel being hard done by.

As for learning, at this stage of my life in regards to fishing, it is more social, taking in and appreciating the surroundings however I know my knowledge would most definitely expand 10 fold if I was to spend time and money on guides, such as yourself which is something I’ll do in time to come, believe me if I could afford to right now, I would, but as you could appreciate being in business for yourself as myself being a contractor, it can be hard to budget, and a constant battle to make ends meet with prioritising money spent on family matters first and secondly keeping the business operating. As I have posted previously the information that yourself and other guides that have posted information on SW is absolutely priceless and I have the utmost respect for, so I apologies if I have upset the apple cart.

Posting this thread was not what I can get out of it in regards to what information I can get or what I could learn from entering into a competition, it was more aimed at looking at the whole Barra competition picture, evening out the field, eliminating point stacking which is possible. If this does happen, which some articles that I’ve read, leaning towards that this does happen, the whole Barra Comp. scene is………….what?

Where do you see the Impoundment Barra scene here in 2 to 5 years in regards to the competitions? Would there be the same faces and names, same amount of competitors, more or less? Johnny in your above post you made a statement, “ I think this ABT hiccup is based on a conflict of "he who keeps knowledge, keeps on winning!" couldn’t be any more from the truth, a bit like the rich get richer and the poor get poorer in the economic world. If some information was shared by boaters and non-boaters, competitors alike, it would take the more knowledgeable anglers to another level forcing them to better themselves too and so on.

I’m sure during the NRL season teams would definitely not share tactics, however players every year change teams with new contracts drawn each year, taking with them information which would benefit their abilities to perform, there are representative duties during the season where players quickly share a bond and abilities, techniques and tactics are exposed. Who benefits from this besides the players themselves? The whole game does, it becomes a better spectacle. Not to take anything away from the Taylor twins who have rightfully earned their way to the top and recognised as the boys to beat in the Barra comps. If the same team won year after year like St. George did in the 50’s and 60’s, does the game become exciting to other team supporters from being so monochromatic?

I’m not looking for an argument, very far from it, more just seeing what other angler’s opinions are, from ABT competitors and those who wish to have a go in the Barra comp. scene and the events future.
After reading some more info and posts I’m having second thoughts as I was going to enter just for some fun as a travelling holiday with a mate and it’s sounding a bit too serious for my liking.

Dave

Johnny Mitchell:
Johnny in your above post you made a statement, “ I think this ABT hiccup is based on a conflict of "he who keeps knowledge, keeps on winning!" couldn’t be any more from the truth, a bit like the rich get richer and the poor get poorer in the economic world. If some information was shared by boaters and non-boaters, competitors alike, it would take the more knowledgeable anglers to another level forcing them to better themselves too and so on.

I’m sure during the NRL season teams would definitely not share tactics, however players every year change teams with new contracts drawn each year, taking with them information which would benefit their abilities to perform, there are representative duties during the season where players quickly share a bond and abilities, techniques and tactics are exposed. Who benefits from this besides the players themselves? The whole game does, it becomes a better spectacle. Not to take anything away from the Taylor twins who have rightfully earned their way to the top and recognised as the boys to beat in the Barra comps. If the same team won year after year like St. George did in the 50’s and 60’s, does the game become exciting to other team supporters from being so monochromatic?

Dave, we are on the same page here with a small crossed wire, I agree with you. The keeping of info doesn't help anyone else- that's the point! Aussie barra comp fishing could me miles ahead of where it is today.
 If the info is kept close- no one learns- and those who wanna win can be reluctant to share the hard earned. Maybe it should not be a comp, but a social workshop- that'll help everyone. But it is a comp, that's the hurdle.

Binder:
Dave,
Never thought much of the "stranger in ya boat" setup, or even being in a strangers boat,  even if it is only a social fish.

All valid points raised about skills, secret squirrel techniques, putting in the hard yards etc.

But me being a low end fisho, that wouldn't particularly worry me, I'm more worried about being stuck in a boat with a tosser for  the day! Particularly if it wasn't my boat! (If you were the boater you could always leave a tosser on a mudbank!, if you were the deckie and stuck with a tosser boater, your stuck unless you can swim!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version