Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Hinze and Beyond....  (Read 5621 times)

Offline Member

• Store Customer
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 74
  • Liked: 8
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Hinze and Beyond....
« on: March 12, 2011, 09:48:15 PM »
When you start a new day you never know what may lie ahead. New surroundings, new friends to meet and whatever else may come out of that day.
Day dawned overcast and teased us with the possibility of some future shower’s during the day. Hinze Dam was to be the surroundings for the day and a time to explore further afield than what I had in past trips. Steve (Bushwacker), Tony (Bunjey) and myself met for the first time after waiting for the gates to be unlocked.(Well I was a tad late)...and after saying hello we headed off in search of hopefully some Toga and Bass.
Tony decided to explore up towards the picturesque arm that leads to under the bridge. Steve and I headed down the arm trying to decide whether to troll for Bass or chase some Toga from the weed fringes. Trolling lines were deployed and not long after the first Bass for the day fell to a red/orange Golden Child lure for myself. Gee it’s been ages since I caught a Bass. Steve saw a decent splash on the edges nearby and soon had a cast fired out towards the fringes. Not long after his lure hit the water it was engulfed in a shower of water and Toga No.1 was hooked and headed for a pic. Unfortunately the Toga had other ideas and after  a spirited tussle and some dirty antics thrown in it thumbed it’s nose at Steve and bid him farewell after throwing the hooks. Steve was gutted and sat there forlorn. After losing my first the week before I could feel his pain. We stayed awhile and worked the edges up and down the banks hoping that there may be more patrolling the edges but alas it was not to be. We noticed small schools of Bass holding and even after repeated attempts to jig and annoy them enough to bite we realised our efforts were in vain.
It must be noted that there will be a new wave in yakking attire next season and a multi purpose use for a Environet.Just ask Steve how well it keeps the rain off when someone forgets to bring a raincoat!!! ;D
Caught up with Tony again and we paddled our way up a small feeder creek that looked decidedly fishy. Fished the dead end for some Bass for Steve and Tony decided to head for home. Not long after we decided to follow suit as plan B had been decided on.
After a nice relaxing drive we arrived at plan B and after seeing a beautiful waterway stretched before us, I couldn’t hold back and soon had the yak off the car and coerced Steve into doing the same. Tony joined us soon after and the three of us set off to explore.
What was to follow will be forever etched into my memory bank as a truly memorable afternoon.
Steve started landing Yella’s one after the other and I was gobsmacked!! It wasn’t long before I was in on the party with one of my own. Tony was up a little further up but not having much luck so I paddled up to where he was and filled him in on what was going on. He soon joined us and the three of us sat back and enjoyed the peace.
Not long after I got smashed on the retrieve by a moving log. This fish took off and preceded to tow me abeilt very slowly. Not alot of line was pulled just me and the yak!!! When I saw what size Yella I had hooked I nearly fell out of the yak!!! This thing was huge!! Managed to get it in the net using two hands to hold the sheer weight and one arm paddled over to the bank with my leg firmly clamped over the fish. The brag mat was required for this one and I soon realised that I had a new PB in my hands. A whooping 55cm’s of Yellowbelly!!!  :o
This fish was huge and obviously ruled the roost on this spot of water.
A few more yellas were caught by Steve but after the arrival of some noisy water user’s nearby the fish shut their front doors and went home.
Headed off the water with the yaks and just walked and fished with Tony hitting top speed and catching Bass hand over fist. Some scrappy little fighter’s came his way and Tony even managed a cooling dip while retrieving my spinnerbait. Unfortunately I managed to free it but only after Tony ended up waist deep in water. Oops...Thanks Tony. Laughs aplenty throughout the day with me managing to find a hole while trying to get out of the yak and hold onto the Yella. Saved the yella and crawled my way out of the hole. At least it wasn’t a case of a wet date and no fish!! ::)

Many thanks to Tony and Steve for a great day out with plenty of laughs.
It was lovely to meet you both and hope to catch again soon for another fish.

:thanks

Toni

Ocean Kayak Pro Staff

http://www.ocean-kayak.com.au

Offline Member

• Store Customer
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 74
  • Liked: 8
  • View Gallery
Re: Hinze and Beyond....
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 09:56:15 PM »
Some more pics of a top day!!! 8)

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 03:59:51 AM »
Thanks for the great company Toni and Tony, where some very memorable moments and fish caught !

Great report too that was the day to a T  :thumbsup

Cheers

Steve

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 11:37:13 AM »
Good report Toni, not sure about the Environet look though, think I'd rather be wet. Really nice Yella too it must have pulled hard.
Cheers
John

Offline Member

• Bunjey
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
  • Liked: 0
  • Kayak Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Maroon Moogerah Hinze or wherever I am floating
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 06:26:55 PM »
Top stuff Toni (nice name), nice to meet you, it was a beaut day, thank you, :)

oh yeah, and thanks to the guy with the hat with a handle?  :o