Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Last days of the season  (Read 3739 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Last days of the season
« on: April 28, 2013, 07:52:58 PM »
Haven't fished the stretch below the dam wall down to the narrows all season.  Been meaning too but just haven't found the time.  Had a few hours free Saturday arvo and sent out the call. 

We normally launch from a private site on the Lowood side, but tried a public access site for the first time - thanks to all those who lobbied to maintain access to this site - it's much appreciated.   Got in at early mid arvo and caught up with a few guys who I reckon I can safely assume frequent this site.  After a bit of a chat about what was working, how good certain yaks were and how well the stretch was fishing decided against doing a "solo man" down to the river and dragged the rig to the water.

A couple of casts in got smoked by something solid - on the advice of the the boys we had met earlier, the dark spinnerbaits (had nothing with purple though) had paid dividends.  The joys of fishing light!  At least they were there.  A few more snags with the same color saw another couple of hits but no takers.  Time for a change up.  The sun was still pretty high so maybe they were still not up for it.

Went to a lighter coloured spinner with larger blade and more extras to see the first bass of the day monster a cast in tight to the timber.  High 40's, but not quite the Five-oh.   A few more casts saw another couple of quality fish pulled off the snag.  The sun had dropped a bit and the shadows were growing long - the presentations were okay, but maybe the time of day had more to do with the bite?

Mixed up the lures a bit after that and ended up on a mate's hand made balsa presentations.  Had a few nudges, but my compadre landed a solid yella on one to show they work in the fresh as well as on Jacks.

Highlights of the arvo(apart from the fish) were the abundance of bird life(azure king fishers and several species of raptors).  Also noticed plenty of bait on the surface.  Did the big toe test and noted that the water temp was a bit coolish unlike the January trip to Mt Crosby.  Before I forget, I was highly entertained by the protestations of my mate as he continuously managed to find trees and underwater snags. Lucky he works in the type of industry that can keep a weekend hacker in $30 lures...

Will try and upload a few pics I the next couple of days.

Cheers
Cam

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
Re: Last days of the season
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 09:31:04 PM »
Not a bad way to go mate. There's still one month to go, and your mate has still got plenty of time to lose lures.
JD