Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Hinze Water Level, Access & Fishing  (Read 7052 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Hinze Water Level, Access & Fishing
« on: December 05, 2010, 06:13:47 PM »
Hey Guys,

Been hitting Hinze a bit lately & I'm curious about a couple of things.

1. Everywhere I read I'm told it's at 100% capacity but BOM have it listed as 11.24 meters below the spillway. That doesn't make it 100% in my book. I understand Stage 3 may not be "officially" finished as yet but we're getting close to the end of 2010, the "official" project completion date. Been down near the wall for a look & it looks completed. It's going to be amazing with another 11 meters of water in it.

2. Had an interesting encounter with a Securty Officer up there last week. He drove down to the boat ramp up the Mudgeereba side at 6pm to check we were all out. Two of us were on our way out with another 2 still on the water. He placed notices on their windsceens reminding them of the gate opening/closing times & asking them to please shut the gate on the way out, very nice of him. The other guy quizzed the SO about the times, advising him our permits state the opening/closing times are sunrise/sunset. Got up there early Friday morning, well before 6am & the gate was wise open!

3. The fishing has been excellent. The bass are back on the lipless crankbaits, with casting to the edge & ripping them out with a few pauses working for us. Plenty of small fish with a few mid to high 30's keeping things interesting. The 'toga have been aggressive too on the surface lures, when you eventually find them. They seem to move around a bit but once located are always willing.

Cheers,

Doddsy

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 140
  • -Receive: 81
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
Re: Hinze Water Level, Access & Fishing
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 10:33:54 PM »

1. Everywhere I read I'm told it's at 100% capacity but BOM have it listed as 11.24 meters below the spillway. That doesn't make it 100% in my book. I understand Stage 3 may not be "officially" finished as yet but we're getting close to the end of 2010, the "official" project completion date. Been down near the wall for a look & it looks completed. It's going to be amazing with another 11 meters of water in it.

Doddsy yarning to a ranger a few weeks ago, when the first lot of heavy rains were just flowing downstream from the dam.

He said the dam is being held at the old heights until the Stage3 project is officially "signed off" from the contractors, and such a shame to see this wet season rain just going to waste when it could be backing up behind the wall already.

On the Gold Coast local TV news in October they reported the wall was to be completed only a couple of days later, after a concrete pour was finished at the new spillway, so guess the delay is other works not associated with the wall itself.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 07:26:39 AM »
Thanks Richo, I wonder when the official sign-off will be. Not sure about them keeping it at old heights as the dam is slowly filling.

Cheers,

Doddsy

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 140
  • -Receive: 81
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 04:19:52 PM »
Thanks Richo, I wonder when the official sign-off will be. Not sure about them keeping it at old heights as the dam is slowly filling.

Even though the BoM gauge shows it as rising it has done that on every recent rain event, and then drops again after the rain stops.

This morning as I crossed the bridge at Weedons Crossing, the river below the wall is running flat out and going over the weir below at present, so water is certainly being released out of the dam.