Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Barra rods  (Read 16680 times)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
Re: Barra rods
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 08:24:06 PM »
Once again it comes back to how many sticks you want to take. (Another golf reference) My preference is for 3, but as the rod box on the boat will handle six I may get greedy at times. I like Johnny's simplified scenario and while I like to use a baitcaster I do think a spin stick is handy for lighter lures and windy conditions. I prefer to cast, so I like a rod that will handle that. I've never had a problem with a 7ft rod in a river situation, but that would depend a lot on the sort of boat you fish out of I guess. My longest baitcast rod is a Temple Fork Outfitters 7ft 4 to 10lb with a Daiwa Alphas. I actually bought it for Bass down in the Clarence Gorge, but I suppose it would handle a smaller Barra.
JD

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 103
  • Liked: 26
  • View Gallery
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 06:56:19 AM »
i have been using a tcurve 2-5kg rod for just about every thing, for the reason every one has pointed out, i can flick all day long with it using light , medium and heavy lures. plus when a metre plus fish jumps on it has done the job great..  i have a cheaper reel the saros 3000f spooled with 10lb on this rod and have landed metre plus barra and threadfin with out to much trouble at all.. it makes for more excitement using the lighter rods too!  :)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 07:11:29 PM »
Wes, makes me feel a bit overgunned with a Stradic 4000 and 30lb, but it also does a good job on Mackerel in the rusty stuff
JD

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 07:50:53 PM »
haha i forgot to mention the macktuna 7kg and 10kg long tail on this combo and played with the schoolies and spotties back in march this year. but will keep the rust talk to a minimum  ;D ;D

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 08:19:59 PM »
i have been using a tcurve 2-5kg rod for just about every thing, for the reason every one has pointed out, i can flick all day long with it using light , medium and heavy lures. plus when a metre plus fish jumps on it has done the job great..  i have a cheaper reel the saros 3000f spooled with 10lb on this rod and have landed metre plus barra and threadfin with out to much trouble at all.. it makes for more excitement using the lighter rods too!  :)

Wes,

If you want to give that reel a bigger cranking handle, I found the handle from a saragosa 4000 fits it perfectly. I did this by accident to try and get a faster winding ability when cranking frogs for barra. I also found the bigger handle better when fighting fish...They are great reels for the price point. I have a few now.

Cheers Steve

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 09:22:02 AM »
Wes,

If you want to give that reel a bigger cranking handle, I found the handle from a saragosa 4000 fits it perfectly. I did this by accident to try and get a faster winding ability when cranking frogs for barra. I also found the bigger handle better when fighting fish...They are great reels for the price point. I have a few now.

Cheers Steve
cheers mate, i ordered a new handle from charltons because i wore the rubber grip off, they ended up getting me the handle from the 4000f saros by mistake  ;D same thing longer handle and mad it easy for high speed jigging for macks  ;)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 09:44:56 AM »
Wes, those Saros reels are pretty good. I have a couple 1000 size and they worked well on the Jungle Perch and really good on Bream. I may get crazy and give them a run on Bass???
JD