Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Talapia  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 3
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Any small streams, rivers or estuaries
Talapia
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:21:52 PM »
While I have a few people talking Talipia could I run this scenario by you.

Sorry but I have talked about this fish a lot lately.

We have the numbers increasing dramatically in Somerset and I feel we should be concerned on just what it will be like in 5 to 10 years.  I think Rod Harrison called Somerset the Jewell in the Crown of Queensland dams. 

At present it is possible to go out with a bucket of worms for a day and catch 50 to 70 Talapia 3 Jewies and a few turtles, and that's about it.

If you leave the worms at home and just fish with lures for a day you will get a few Bass  and a few Goldens.

Aren't we just turning a blind eye to the problem.  This is a fish that fights well said to be very good eating and could be regarded as a sport fish.

About 50 or 60 years ago there was a species of timber in Queensland that would not sell, it had a bad name.  For what reason I forget, but they gave it a new name and sold it into the building industry.

Taiapia is here to stay, shouldn't we adapt and target this fish.  Convince the Fisheries to take it off the pest list and people will change their attitudes towards it.

I believe the Redfin in the southern states has had a similar history and is how so prolific in some impoundments that,  due to it's numbers,  it is not reaching the size it did some years ago.  They are becoming stunted.

This could be the future of Somerset.  I would like to hear that this is not possible for some reason.
There is a great pool of knowledge out there and there should be a lot of concerned fishermen and women that might like to hear some comments not just my woffle.

A couple of us are testing lures on Talapia, so far just a few bumps on Beach worm look a likes.  A lot more work to be done there.

Looking forward to some comments folks.

Regards Gordon

Be kind to the Natives.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
Re: Talapia
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 05:56:38 AM »
SX40's will catch bigger ones.
There is no solution Gordon, (to get rid of them) I figure they might relax the rules around them once they are everywhere (I have no doubt they will spread to all freshwater areas eventually, like carp in NSW), but until them its catch and toss up the bank.

There was some talk a while ago about Jack's being a potential impoundment fish that might take care of tilapia, but not heard anything for a couple of years.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 105
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
Re: Talapia
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 06:48:58 AM »
Only problem with relaxing the rules, could be increased spread as unscrupulous anglers release them in other waterways either intentionally or by mistake.
A sensible policy of penalties for introduction whilst allowing anglers to target them (makes a good bread & butter species for the bank anglers) would be ideal along with stopping further importation to Aust.

But that's unlikely to happen with the governments we have.

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events