Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)
Currently:
  • Pearl Cichlids in Lake Somerset 3 1

Author Topic: Pearl Cichlids in Lake Somerset  (Read 8455 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 3
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Any small streams, rivers or estuaries
Pearl Cichlids in Lake Somerset
« on: November 30, 2010, 11:43:39 PM »
G'day folks, I have been trying to get this info on to Sweetwater for some time, my fault, I am not too tecno savy.

A variety of aquarium fish called Pearl Cichlid has reached Somerset Dam.  They appeared up towards Peachester over a year ago and Fisheries Queensland have put a lot of effort into containing the spread.

They have now appeared in the dam and several have been caught by our local club in the upper reaches.  Being a little concerned that they may rival Talipa,  I have collected the following information from Dr Zafer Sarac, Principal Fisheries Scientist.

This is an attractive Aquarium fish and they breed easily and readily and therefore popular.  They do not transport their young by mouth like the Talipa but are very protective of their eggs.  They spawn on rock substrates and reports say they can be very aggressive as mature fish, ( probably while guarding their young. )  They can lay 600 to 800 eggs and can grow to 28-30 cm in length.

Thr Pearl Cichlid is an omnivore so will eat plants, insects, worms etc ( I have seen them taking worms )  In the wild they feed on detritus and insects along with algae and weed found on or under the substrate.

I am hoping that some of you can look at the above information supplied by Dr Sarac and put over suggestions on how to target them incase they reach numbers as the Talipa have.  We may make a sport out of these fish.

By not being a mouth brooder the eggs and young could be a food source for the Cod.  As for being a weed eater, I know some fishermen have them in tanks and could offer some suggestions on which weed.  The weed used for Ludrick may be one.  I am sure there will be several ways to target these so if we can pool some ideas on catches, sizes and techniques it could be very helpful all around.

Regarding the photographs, the fish in the aquarium is probably mature the other was a young one and has not developed the black spot on the body.  the balck on the nose was a bit of rubbish.   The distinctive marks to look for are the knob on the head and the blue behind the face also the fins are distinctive.  The body colouring may alter as it adjusts to the dam water

These fish should be disposed of like the Talipa.

Regards Gordon.

Be kind to the Natives.