Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report. December 2011  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Jindabyne
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report. December 2011
« on: December 13, 2011, 08:08:40 AM »
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report.
12th December 2011

By Steve Williamson. –
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Adventures.
0408 024436                      Shop -02 64561551

NEWS
Just back from my little break and thanks to all those anglers that kept Nathan up to date with latest fishing reports whilst I have been away. With your reports Nathan has been able to provide the very best up to date fishing reports in the mountains. Nathan also personally reports he has been catching quite a few fish on various spinners on the Thredbo down around the road bridge after work each day. The lake has also been spinning well with bait anglers catching most of their fish on bardi grubs and artificial baits.
The weather has continued to be a little crazy and today as I write we have been getting storms and the barometer is dropping quickly and is now down to 1008 which is pretty crazy for this time of the year.
We expect storms and showers for most of the week.
Check out my facebook page for updates and also WIN prizes http://www.facebook.com/pages/Steve-Williamsons-Lake-Jindabyne-Trout-Fishing-Adventures/286736598024666
Post your photos with a trout and a Tasmanian Devil or Rapala lure and win prizes in our weekly best fish competition.
LAKE LEVEL and TEMPERATURE
The lake level is at 81% and rising. Now only one metre below 2010/11 years peak and it’s still raining heavy in the mountains.
The temperature today was 18 degrees.
Best methods to catch a trout.
Best method – Bank based lure spinning or bait on the lake.
Best lake lure –Y50 Tasmanian Devil and brown trout Raplas are now doing well.
Best lake area – East Jindabyne area, Hatchery and Hayshed Bays and Stinky Bay.
Best fly method lake – Olive / black Woolly Bugger and Williamson’s Goldfish.
Best River Fly Fishing–  Dry fly on the Thredbo River
Best River Lures – Thredbo River.

Let’s have a look at what the fishing is going to be like over the next few weeks.
Trolling.
Early storms cleared on Saturday for a mostly sunny day and the anglers that did venture out onto the lake did OK. Fishing on Sunday was also OK with anglers reporting a few more fish on the surface early in the day. Changing weather certainly made fishing difficult though.
Surface troll in the shallows early with these minnow lures and then later in the morning change to Tasmanian Devils.
Best colour is greens and golds or on overcast days try the Holographic or the yellowing Brown Bomber number 48 Tasmanian Devil.
The best Rapalas still seem to be the bigger 9 and 11cm for the bigger trout and those with some orange underneath going best.
For the surface trollers with electrics or the kayakers the try a F7 Flatfish in Yellow.
If you missed out on purchasing the Rapala Spotted dog, then we should have limited stocks again at the end of this week. The lure has proved to be a major hit with the trout so be quick before they sell out once again.
Downrigging has been on and off depending on the day but as the water temperatures continue to rise the downrigging will improve. For now try 25 feet.
Note – for those of you that like the Yellowing Freddo, be quick, we have limited stocks, as the lure will no longer be available as the Freddo foil is no longer available to Wigstons lures. These are soon to be collectors items.
NEW colours in the 20 gram Tasmanian devil Lures NOW AVAILABLE.
Lake Bait Fishing 
(Primarily most rivers and streams in the Snowy Mountains Region are fly and lure only, We recommend that you first check with the Department of Industry and Investment NSW (NSW Fishing rules) as to which rivers in the area you can legally bait fish in. IF IN DOUBT DON’T BAIT FISH in the RIVERS!)
Shore based bait fishing continues to be good and over the last week the fishing has been good with bardi grubs and powerbait the best.
The artificial baits are still worth having in the water as some days it can be the only thing that works. Put two hooks on the line and combine a worm and artificial bait to double your chances of a trout.
We also have the artificial powerbait worms for those that do not like using real live worms.
Give the new artificial salmon eggs a go on the lake, they are working quite well.
Best areas for bait fishing at the moment have been, Waste Point area, The Claypits, Hatchery Bay, Town Centre in front of Banjo Patterson Park and The Snowy Arm.
Lake Spinning
Lure spinning has still been good with the rising lake level. There are trout about and the best fishing is in the shallows early and deep water later in the middle of the day. The Tasmanian Devil Y82 and Y48  have both been good and so is the Holographic.
Minnow lures like floating Rapalas, Stumpjumpers and other minnow style lure in either natural rainbow trout and brown trout patterns or gold colours to represent the Jindabyne goldfish that the trout love to chase and eat.
Don’t stay in one place too long and only put in a couple of casts in each area.
Some new lures to try in the dark are the new glow Blue Fox Vibrax spinners. Charge them up with a torch or camera flash and watching them spin through the water is incredible, trout are very inquisitive and often hit the lure hard.
Jaz Raza Blade 40 in Gold is also a must in your box of tools.
Call into my shop and I will show you some of the better soft plastics that we are having great success on over the last week.
River Spinning
The Thredbo has been fishing well with plenty of fish in the lower reaches. Celtas and Gillies Bendbacks will be good but other lures working well are Vibrax Blue Fox, Wodens Rooster Tail sonics and Blue Fox Super Minnow in yellow or blue. Minnow lures like the brown and rainbow trout pattern Rapalas are also good.
In deeper and bigger pools try some of the metal blades hat we have in my shop. We will help out with the best colours and they best way to use them to get results.   
Fly Fishing Lake
With the water still rising a little, you should at least be able to see the fish cruising close into the lake edges.
Fishing the small bays and inlets should get some results very early and late in the day if you’re careful not to spook the trout. Woolley Buggers, Craig’s Night time and Williamson’s Goldfish have been the flies well worth using at dawn and dusk. The shallow bays on the lake are worth a try early before the sun rises but after that you had better be fishing deep.
Fly fishing Rivers and Streams
The Thredbo River has still seen some good fish caught on bead head nymphs in the slower water. Dry fly has started to improve with white moths now seen. Caddis patterns are also worth a look.

For visitors to the Snowy’s we have a full range of fishing tackle for hire at my shop and fishing tours are now available.
Have you got a report from your latest fishing trip?
Check out my facebook page for updates and also WIN prizes http://www.facebook.com/pages/Steve-Williamsons-Lake-Jindabyne-Trout-Fishing-Adventures/286736598024666

Have you any photos that you can e-mail me?
I can use the information to add into my own reports and your photo might not only end up in my report but might also go into a draw for the best fish of the month which will win you a $50 Tassie Devil Tackle Pack.

For more information on the latest fishing conditions, please call into –
STEVE WILLIAMSON’S TACKLE SHOP
             Shop 1 Snowline Centre, Kosciuszko Road Jindabyne 2627
Fishing Charters – Bait  and Tackle Supplies- Marine Supplies

P.M.B. 5 Jindabyne NSW 2627             E-mail  swtrout@airlan.com.au     www.swtroutfishing.com.au

Shop – (02) 64 561551  Fax – (02) 64 572991