Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Flying with fishing gear - Good, Bad or Ugly??  (Read 22212 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Flying with fishing gear - Good, Bad or Ugly??
« on: November 22, 2010, 02:49:27 PM »
Am off to fish the Cod Classic at Mulwala in a couple of weeks & of course I need to take some rods along. So, I just spend a lovely bit of time on hold to both Virgin Blue & QANTAS regarding taking fishing rod tubes on domestic flights.

The reason is that had been some information regarding QANTAS & it's little sister Jet Star no longer permitting fishing rod tubes as check in items.

Anyhow, the feedback is below.

Virgin Blue call centre (I think I was talking to Singapore): "Fishing rod tubes are fine as check in items sir".
Me: Can I send a 7 foot tube?"
VB: "Yes as checked in baggage sir".
Me: "Is there any additional fees?"
VB: "No sir."
Couldn't offer a website link for reference.

QANTAS call centre (think I was talking to someone in New Zealund): " Fishing rod tubes must be protected in a PVC cylinder wuth screw ends, which can be obtained from a local fishing store, or in PVC plumbing or electrical tubing. Fushing rods must not be strapped to suitcases."
Me: "what about the total length restrictions"
QCC: "surf boards can be upto 277cm so any fushing rod tubes up to this length are ok"
Me: Can I have your name, position & number in case I get to the airport and they won't let me put my 7 foot tube on board"?
QCC: "No. Please look at the following wubsite for further information" http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/sporting-equipment/global/en#jump3
Me: "How do you think the Kiwi's will go in the world cup"?
QCC: "Is there anything else you require sir"
Me: "I think the Aussie will win it"
QCC: "Have a nice day sir"
Me: "What leader do you put on your barra rods?"
QCC: brrrp brrrp brrrp (hang up tone)
Me: "helllooooo"

So, all except the last several lines above it's all gospel.   ;D

So, how has everyone else been faring with getting fishing gear onto domestic & international flights?
Any good or bad experiences?
Any advice?

Cheers,

fitzy..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: Flying with fishing gear - Good, Bad or Ugly??
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 03:22:22 PM »
I've flown around a bit with rods.  My Bazooka has up to 7'6" rods in it.  If you're flying to Albury with Qantas, make sure you get the Bris/Syd Syd/Alb flight.  Don't do the Canberra stop over, because it's a tiny plane into Albury and I doubt a 7' tube would fit in it.  I couldn't stand up in it.  I once had an issue with Virgin in Cairns.  I'd flown up with the tube, then when I was leaving the lady at check-in said it wouldn't fit in the plane and I'd have to leave it behind.  The tube had 8 Egrells in it and I wasn't leaving it anywhere.  I convinced her to let me talk to her supervisor and he OK'd it.  7'6" fits in the Dash 8 we fly in in PNG, but they say there is one plane it won't fit in.  They said if we got that plane, they'd just lay the tube down in the aisle though.  They're pretty good in PNG.  Biggest hassle is if you use BAP for parking.  The other people in the mini bus normally don't appreciate the rod tube in their ears.  Don't carry your reels or lures as hand luggage.  My nephew had to strip an Abu 6000 of brand new 50lb bionic because they thought he may use it as a weapon.  He was 15 at the time.  I haven't had the problem flying into Aus internationally though.

You can borrow my Bazooka if ya like it's got more Airline stamps on it than Julia Gillard's hand bag.

Another tip if people are flying to PNG is to become a SCUBA diver.  A cheap pair of flippers and goggles will suffice.  This gives you an addition 15kg per person baggage allowance.  Riccard is trying to have this changed back, because last year it just said sporting equipment.   

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 05:35:18 PM »
Fitzy when I flew to Darwin with Virgin Blue I had no troubles in getting my rods at either end. I asked the same questions as you did and got the same answers. I made sure though, that the PVC tubing and end screws caps were under 7 feet.

I ended up buying a smaller spin outfit that would fit in the tube.

Lures were an issue with carry on luggage due to the trebles and had to be packed in a suitcase for weighed luggage, however I did manage to carry on my reels, just in case they got lost in transit.

A good hint for those who are fishing with lots of weighted SP's, you may be better off buying them or the jig heads for them, if you can, at your destination. You'd be suprised how much weight are in a couple of trays. The surcharge could be more expensive for exrta weighted luggage.

If you are also wanting to take home a feed of fish when your fishing at a destination where rusty water fish are of an abundance, you can purchase kits from some mariners and good wholesale bait shops before your return flight, in Darwin anyhow! If not make your own. You are not allowed ice in the box on the flight so make sure the fillets are frozen solid.

In them are:
1. One Polystirein Box
2. One large plastic bag.
3. Three obsorbing pads, like you find in the bottom of a meat tray.
4. Twist ties and freezer bags.
You'll need some duct tape to seal the lid after the fish is packed in the box.

Another idea that a good mate of mine does when he wants to take home a feed, is he packs his tackle and lures in a 40 litre ice box on the trip up, destination usually to Darwin. Then on the return trip he'll fill the ice box with fillets and packs his tackle and lures in his weighed on luggage.

Happy travels! :youbeauty

Dave

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 07:59:05 PM »
Heard lots of stories of people getting agro with 7 foot rod tubes.

I hate to say it, but I might even be tempted to get a 2 piece rod  :o next time I'm flying somewhere I want to fish.

Of course the other option is to mail them to yourself at the destination, usually only $10 to $15 each way, dont send the Egrell's though!

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 08:15:03 PM »
Fitzy when I flew to Darwin with Virgin Blue I had no troubles in getting my rods at either end. I asked the same questions as you did and got the same answers. I made sure though, that the PVC tubing and end screws caps were under 7 feet.

I ended up buying a smaller spin outfit that would fit in the tube.

Lures were an issue with carry on luggage due to the trebles and had to be packed in a suitcase for weighed luggage, however I did manage to carry on my reels, just in case they got lost in transit.

A good hint for those who are fishing with lots of weighted SP's, you may be better off buying them or the jig heads for them, if you can, at your destination. You'd be suprised how much weight are in a couple of trays. The surcharge could be more expensive for exrta weighted luggage.

If you are also wanting to take home a feed of fish when your fishing at a destination where rusty water fish are of an abundance, you can purchase kits from some mariners and good wholesale bait shops before your return flight, in Darwin anyhow! If not make your own. You are not allowed ice in the box on the flight so make sure the fillets are frozen solid.

In them are:
1. One Polystirein Box
2. One large plastic bag.
3. Three obsorbing pads, like you find in the bottom of a meat tray.
4. Twist ties and freezer bags.
You'll need some duct tape to seal the lid after the fish is packed in the box.

Another idea that a good mate of mine does when he wants to take home a feed, is he packs his tackle and lures in a 40 litre ice box on the trip up, destination usually to Darwin. Then on the return trip he'll fill the ice box with fillets and packs his tackle and lures in his weighed on luggage.

Happy travels! :youbeauty

Dave

G'Day Dave,
Some good tips mate. I've done a couple of things before; freighted gear up to myself before hand, & also bought alot of it locally.

Have got a mate in the right places at Darwin. Last couple of times back we got several boxes of fillets through at a great price.  ;)

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 05:45:26 AM »
It should be all good mate.

What Dale said about the reels is true. If you are or want to carry on, the take spools off / out and throw with your check on.

ps, gotta love ya nuzeld accent

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 74
  • Liked: 12
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 12:14:14 PM »
Geez, don't get me started on Tiger!! >:(

here are a few tips:

1. as mentioned above, all rods and/or reels with line are regarded as deadly wepons. I once packed 1 (expensive) SA fly reel with two spare loaded spools, 2 x Calcuttas spooled with expensive braid into my carry on backpack because the insurance specifically stated "maximun cover items in checked baggage is $200 per item". the bloke was going to make me strip all the lines off and bin them before letting me on the plane. he did allow me to check that backpack on though which was great. (Virgin)

2. last I heard, 200cm (6ft 6in) was the max for any rod tube on Virgin (about 1-2 years ago). This can vary depending on who you get and how grumpy they are. One lady was upset about the rod tube being 202cm and I asked for a second opinion (being one of the loading stewards) and he ok-ed it.

3. Tiger airways want to charge you $60 per sector for "sporting goods" - this mainly covers golf clubs, dive bags and surf boards, but the hard at english lady in the overseas call centre could not destinguish between them so told me "$60 each way for fishing rods". Even though it was a 60cm, 4-piece fly rod. Clearly Tiger do not want fishermen/women to travel with them. Check the Tiger options VERY carefully. They have more hidden charges than a home loan application. They also have no contact email on their website and the "distruptions" web page is (WAS!!) never updated and their call centre knew nothing about it the entire 7 hours my flight was delayed (no kidding).

4. no leathermen on your hip or small pocket knife in the hip pocket. Sounds silly, but easy done!

5. explorer socks and stubbie holders make great reel protectors - you can never have enough of either!

6. pack your own sandwiches. $7 for 2 minute noodles is, and should never be classed as "food" (big cat airlines again)

7. weigh your baggage on the bathroom scales. $7-10 per kilo is what they normally charge if you go over the allotted 20kg or whatever (Tiger charge extra on top of their advertised price for checked baggage).

see you soon Fitz!

Cheers, NS

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 12:20:51 PM »

see you soon Fitz!

Cheers, NS
Slates I'm hiring a car at Albury & driving so all good for a lift thanks.   :thanks

See you there on Thursday night, I heard there's special meeting of the brotherhood of the fish tatoo being convened if you're up for it.  ;)  :thumbsup

fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 05:59:59 PM »
I've been stopped from bringing on a fly rod tube as carry on  (NZ)

Never had any problems with a 7'6" rod tube ( bazooka)  -  just remember to pack everything tight & wrap the tips in bubble wrap ......... If you really want to avoid broken tips -  buy a piece of dowl slightly longer than the longest rod & tape it to the rods. this will save the tip when some goose stands the rod upside down.

chris 

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 06:09:02 PM »
I flew from Brisbane to Townsville with a 7' 4" rodtube and had no problems, I flew with Virgin Blue.

Only problem is I hit some lady in the head with it when I went to collect it from heavy/extra large items bay. Absolutely cracked the woman, whose husband had some stern words with a quickly departing me.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 07:39:21 PM »
I flew from Brisbane to Townsville with a 7' 4" rodtube and had no problems, I flew with Virgin Blue.

Only problem is I hit some lady in the head with it when I went to collect it from heavy/extra large items bay. Absolutely cracked the woman, whose husband had some stern words with a quickly departing me.

She should have been watching where she was go'in James! ;D

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 74
  • Liked: 12
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 11:46:46 AM »
Slates I'm hiring a car at Albury & driving so all good for a lift thanks.   :thanks

See you there on Thursday night, I heard there's special meeting of the brotherhood of the fish tatoo being convened if you're up for it.  ;)  :thumbsup

fitz..

Fitz, I can only get there Friday some time - probably wont let us into the unit until 2 pm or so - tatts? :P :-[

James: hope the rods were ok ;)

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 01:19:39 PM »
Fitz, I can only get there Friday some time - probably wont let us into the unit until 2 pm or so - tatts? :P :-[

All us idiots who went & got fish tatoos done. There's a bunch of them gonna be there. You'll be able to guess who...

fitz..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
I was talking with my brother in Wangaratta last night.  You may not need to take a fishing rod with you.  They're forecasting at least 2" of rain this weekend and the water is already high, dirty and cold.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 02:54:24 PM »
I was talking with my brother in Wangaratta last night.  You may not need to take a fishing rod with you.  They're forecasting at least 2" of rain this weekend and the water is already high, dirty and cold.

hhhmmmm. If there's a run in the rivers, I might go looking for somewhere with some elevation/fall & take a yak in search of some whiteish water. There's always a silver lining....  :thumbsup

fitz..