Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Bass Take Limits???  (Read 17874 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Bass Take Limits???
« on: June 10, 2011, 03:37:59 PM »
This thread is to go in conjuction with Fitzy's thread on Wild Bass closure zones. As you are already aware, there is going to be some major reviews on the regulations of our freshwater fisheries in the next couple of months or so. DEEDI are holding workshops right through our Southern and Western regions to not only inform stocking groups of there obligations but for stocking groups to inform DEEDI what may or may not need or want to be changed, to better our fisheries.

One new regulation that DEEDI have been trying to intoduce for a while now and I believe from what was said on the day at the Fernvale Workshop is that DEEDI recommend and would like to implement an increase on the amount of the take limit of stocked impoundment Bass. After closely liasing with DEEDI officials in the past year or so in regards to what EMFMI are trying to acheive as a fishery, I tend to agree some what, however not to the extent that was mentioned on the day so much.

There are a lot of pro's and con's for this debate and it would be great to hear your thoughts and ideas so that we as stockest and anglers can put forward a reasonable plan to what we would like to implement as a new regulation or not for the take limit of stocked impoundment Bass.

I hope this thread makes for good discussion which will result in a good outcome for all.

Cheers Dave

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
Re: Bass Take Limits???
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 05:26:53 PM »
I'd be happy to see it go up a bit.
One of the arguments for stocking yella's is to give those blokes who like to get a feed something to target (with a 10 limit).

Allow 5 bass out of stocked impoundments and maybe we can stop stocking yella's for the blokes who like a feed (bass taste much better anyway) and stock all bass   ;D

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 11:11:34 PM »
The increase in the bass bag limits has been thrown around before & defeated each time. The number that has been thrown about in the past has been 5 bass in posession.

Comparing bass to golden perch is not apples and apples when discussing "filling the sugar bag". To get a 50cm golden perch in a stocked impoundment can be achieved in 2 or 3 years in good conditions... the same conditions can see it take 10 or more years to see a bass achieve the same size.

To go from a take of 2 to 5 bass per person is a massive step. For a 150% increase in bass being taken from impoundments, it would need a 150% increase in funding for at least a couple years leading upto a increase in take of that order.

Failure to do this may see some bass fisheries collapse, all for the sake of a cheeper grocery bill. This not only affects those who choose to take a feed, but those who choose to release the fish they catch.

I don't know if the proponents of the 5 bass bag have thought it through, or have much idea on the investment to get a bass lake running, but the idea is a loaded gun....best treated with respect. Once the trigger is pulled there's no stopping the impact.

I'm not against it, just aware that every action has an equal & opposite reaction. I'd hate to see world class bass fisheries like Somerset or Boondooma collapse as a result, nobody will win.

Perhaps a total bag from stocked impoundments is an option worth considering. Total bag of 25 fish per person & illegal to upgrade dead fish. That is, you can't pull a 40cm bass out of the icebox & toss it over the size when you catch a better one. (that's one topic that nobody want's to talk about much...)

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 05:53:31 AM »
Great post Fitzy and backed up with some realistic figures.

Where this could be problematic is every fishery is different and has it's own under lying issues. I was hoping this topic could have been discussed in greater detail on the day of the workshop, however we ran out of time.

As mentioned at Fernvale, most members of EMFMI exept for one member are very green and inexperienced when it comes to aquaculture and rely on the recommendations of others who are are highly involved in the industry. What is the reasoning behind DEEDI recommending to push the take limit up? My thoughts and reasonings are having more sustainable fisheries, increasing the number of stocked fish to greater lengths in a shorter period of time. Some fisheries could sustain more stocked fish where others may not.

This paragragh from your above post wouldn't work, would it, unless we got the size limit of Bass increased???

Perhaps a total bag from stocked impoundments is an option worth considering. Total bag of 25 fish per person & illegal to upgrade dead fish. That is, you can't pull a 40cm bass out of the icebox & toss it over the size when you catch a better one. (that's one topic that nobody want's to talk about much...)

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Cheers Dave

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 08:49:23 AM »
G'Day Dave,

A great topic for discussion  :thumbsup

You're right, a mixed total bag would need some thought put into it for sure.

Be interesting to read the comments / replies to this topic.  :thumbsup

fitz

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 14
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 11:28:38 AM »
I'd be happy to see it go up a bit.
One of the arguments for stocking yella's is to give those blokes who like to get a feed something to target (with a 10 limit).

Allow 5 bass out of stocked impoundments and maybe we can stop stocking yella's for the blokes who like a feed (bass taste much better anyway) and stock all bass   ;D

If the bag limit doesn't get lifted on Bass, very soon all stocked dams will be nothing but Bass - as dams that stock Yellows or Silvers start getting flogged from pillar to post by the fisho's looking for a feed - 10 & 5 bag limits, soon stocking groups will say why are we getting over fished and just stock Bass. And the smaller the dam the worst it will be.

And then what will we have - a whole bunch of dams with nothing but Bass in them and the guy's looking for a feed will turn a blind eye to the bag limit anyway..

It is said the re stocking of dams is a put & take fishery but some think it is put and no take...

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 144
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 04:53:33 PM »
I would like to see it remain at 2.  When a school is found and somebody is seen catching a few bass other boats arrive and say there is 3 boats and they have 3 people in each and they keep thier limit, thats 18 bass out of the school. If you raise the limit to 5 each then thats 45 fish and poooof thats the end of that school . I dont mind a bass to eat sometime although I think I have only taken about 4  over the past couple of years. Just another angle to look at.

Dino

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 12:07:40 PM »
How about an increased bag limit but only one fish allowed over 40cm?
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 02:33:16 PM »
How about an increased bag limit but only one fish allowed over 40cm?
Cheers
Ray

A fair idea.

To take it one step further, or rather to the side. What about along the lines of the NSW bag & size limit for Australian Bass?

Bag limit if two bass in possession
Minimum size 30cm, only one permitted over 35cm

Uniformity, if practica,l would help confusion & enforcement around state borders.

fitz..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 06:09:36 PM »
Have to wonder how the ABT comps get around that one.  I thought it was for rivers only and didn't cover impoundments.

If the bag limit doesn't get lifted on Bass, very soon all stocked dams will be nothing but Bass - as dams that stock Yellows or Silvers start getting flogged from pillar to post by the fisho's looking for a feed
Not sure how this is any different to what's been happening for the last 20 years, and how lifting the limit on Bass will change it?

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: anywhere i can
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 09:29:44 PM »

Comparing bass to golden perch is not apples and apples when discussing "filling the sugar bag". To get a 50cm golden perch in a stocked impoundment can be achieved in 2 or 3 years in good conditions... the same conditions can see it take 10 or more years to see a bass achieve the same to get a bass lake running.

That an amazing fact!

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 10:36:47 PM »
Possession limit of 2 has worked fine so far, IMO should not be changed.

cheers,
Steve.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 04:18:54 AM »

Cheers,

Fitzy..

My pet hate, but what can you do? rules is rules. I never criticise anyone for following the rules, and support their right to do so, even if if it causes considerable wear on my back teeth!

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 04:28:29 AM »
Have to wonder how the ABT comps get around that one. 

Been a question on my lips to. I have actually asked the question at a NSW comp, "so its one as close to 40 as possible and 1 over?" Got looked at like I was stupid, its catch and release was the answer, doesn't matter  - dunno what NSW fisheries would say about you tooling around with 2 over 40 in your live well.

I can certainly understand the hesitancy of others to up the bag limit, but being as we are talking about put and take fisheries, its probably the most low risk place to do it.

Particularly when you look at the numbers of large fish caught below dams over the last 6 months. A lot of those "trophy fisheries" might just be a memory for another 10 - 20 years anyway. 

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 39
  • Fly Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Borumba Dam
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 07:50:06 AM »
"Particularly when you look at the numbers of large fish caught below dams over the last 6 months. A lot of those "trophy fisheries" might just be a memory for another 10 - 20 years anyway. "

That's another interesting point Binder. Having a well stocked dam (i.e. two fish limit) is good insurance for over-the-wall events.

But I'm also a Luddite and C&R only.