Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Boyne Barra On Surface  (Read 19705 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Boyne Barra On Surface
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 05:47:29 PM »
Just a shame we had difficulty in landing a lure within the strike zone though Sam!

Barra beaching itself, wouldn't doubt it, did you here about the incident where Pete and Kyle were fishing Mondy last Friday and one jumped literally in their boat. True story!

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 82
  • Liked: 18
  • View Gallery
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 10:18:23 PM »
Good report Dave and good to meet you if only briefly,I fished that creek in the bottom pics on the Thursday and got one fish from the rock bar on the run out only about 50-60 cm though.
Might go back for more this week in the salt.
Bummer about the rod.

Paul

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 10:23:20 PM »
Here's a lil movie I did with the go pro camera for those that haven't seen it.

Small | Large

Paul

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 10:30:05 PM »
Woops I just realised I put it in the other thread about the boyne sorry.

Paul

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 05:28:16 AM »
Get 'em while you can Paul, while they're in numbers. If I lived closer, I'd be doing the same.

For those who don't know, once the commercial netters hit the river on the 1st of May who knows what will happen to the fishery and the tourism dollars that these iconic fish have bought to the region from the travelling angler. It's a shame IMO to see fisheries hands over their ears on this one, especially when the commercial fishermen are getting their fair share at the mouth of the Boyne already.

If you are wanting to experience some good Barra fishing in the Boyne, be sure to take some time out before the 1st of May and head to Boyne Island and Benaraby. If these fish were left alone there might be a really good opportunity to establish a strong breeding population of Barramundi within this region for generations to enjoy.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 04:50:14 PM »
Get 'em while you can Paul, while they're in numbers. If I lived closer, I'd be doing the same.

For those who don't know, once the commercial netters hit the river on the 1st of May who knows what will happen to the fishery and the tourism dollars that these iconic fish have bought to the region from the travelling angler. It's a shame IMO to see fisheries hands over their ears on this one, especially when the commercial fishermen are getting their fair share at the mouth of the Boyne already.

If you are wanting to experience some good Barra fishing in the Boyne, be sure to take some time out before the 1st of May and head to Boyne Island and Benaraby. If these fish were left alone there might be a really good opportunity to establish a strong breeding population of Barramundi within this region for generations to enjoy.

Spot on Dave.  :youbeauty

I'd be intersted to see what impact the  Boyne Barra Bonanza has had on tourism (read accomodation numbers) to the area recently.

Fitz..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 05:40:50 PM »
whilst I was staying at the Boyne River Tourist Park I was pleased to have met and chatted to the owner John who is extremely passionate on the resource of these fish and what it has done, not just to his buisness, but for other buisnesses and the wider community within the region of Benaraby and Gladstone. He actually contacted the local paper so that the public understood the repercussions and impact this would have for the region when the netting goes ahead on the 1st of May and pleading to the fisheries for common sense. This was the article that was written in the Observer on the 23rd of March.

http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/story/2011/03/23/fishermen-commercial-boyne-river-stock-decrease/

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Anywhere a thong can float
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 09:34:52 PM »
Just a shame we had difficulty in landing a lure within the strike zone though Sam!

Barra beaching itself, wouldn't doubt it, did you here about the incident where Pete and Kyle were fishing Mondy last Friday and one jumped literally in their boat. True story

hahaha thats insane!! a bit of luck like that during an abt event could get you the win :o

sam

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 93
  • View Gallery
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 06:59:15 PM »
Bracey,
The main threat (as the article put it) to Boyne barra is their instinct to leave. Barra are nomads, and they have already turned up at 1770 and almost every river system between there and the Boyne. Once those fish headed over that wall, it was only a matter of time before the river reverted back to its old ( 2010) self again. A few barra will stay, but the majority will have gorrrn! Any switched on barra junky would know that it's short term for the big mobs as they drift off to discover their new territory- the Pacific. The only way they will know what lies before them is to swim it, wander it and explore it. They won't be holding up in the Boyne.
Fraser Coast Barra Charters. Paul Dolan is in!
Johnny

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 08:44:37 PM »
Bracey,
The main threat (as the article put it) to Boyne barra is their instinct to leave. Barra are nomads, and they have already turned up at 1770 and almost every river system between there and the Boyne. Once those fish headed over that wall, it was only a matter of time before the river reverted back to its old ( 2010) self again. A few barra will stay, but the majority will have gorrrn! Any switched on barra junky would know that it's short term for the big mobs as they drift off to discover their new territory- the Pacific. The only way they will know what lies before them is to swim it, wander it and explore it. They won't be holding up in the Boyne.
Fraser Coast Barra Charters. Paul Dolan is in!
Johnny

True True!

My thoughts were for the ones that do remain there or close by that have nomadically swam further afield being able to use the Boyne's mid to upper reaches as a safe haven and being able to use the mouth of the Boyne as spawning grounds come that time. I realise that this is and has been an unusual event in which the commercial fisherman are taking advantage of, like us recreation fishermen and that the Boyne won't and wouldn't have the amount of concentrated populations in the future unless another event like this does occur. We know there is a breeding population of saltwater Barra already there, but not netting the whole of the Boyne, wouldn't this assist the growth of that already breeding population? It's fantastic to see them spreading themselves along the coast.

Many recreation anglers from down here have seen the results and the major improvement, rejuvination and fish return in good numbers since fisheries banned netting and commercial fishing in certain areas on the Sunshine Coast.

It will always will be a tug-of-war!

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 93
  • View Gallery
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 09:19:20 PM »
Here's something simple to ponder that makes the fish breeding thing even more skewed. How great has this wet season been- big rains, wet lands and flowing rivers. So far, it has been discovered and looking like very few, (if any) juvenile barra ( new borns) have recruited the rivers along the CQ coast line this season. It doesn't matter how many brood stock exist on the coast- the survival of juveniles can be directly linked to the timing and magnitudes of flood events. The previous 3 seasons have produced great numbers of juveniles from the existing wild stocks- the best recruiting in over 20 years. Take the Boyne for example- there's a bloody great dam on the river called Awoonga- this on it's own takes away miles of natural space for juv. barra to survive.
We cannot have a perfect brood cycle if half of the equation is missing.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 05:54:48 AM »
Johnny, we only too often forget about man made structures, such as dams, weirs and barrages and the repercutions these structures have on wild brood stock in our waterways no matter what the species.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Gladstone
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 09:38:14 AM »
I wish to add a bit to this chat. Being a newbie to this site I don't expect too much credibility but seeing I now live in Gladstone and work amongst some original Gladstone water people I might have something worth adding, you can judge.

Before the dec floods I was catching, in the upper Boyne from my yak, small barra, jacks, queenies, tevs and tarpon to name a few species, I was mainly catching them from tips given to me by old locals about locations and applying new techniques. Sadly illegal netting was going on between the railway bridge and pikes but I was still catching 65 cm barra on surface lures. Given that at this time the dam with the new wall hight had not yet overflowed and everyone was saying that it never would, the fish I was catching were new generation barra that were most likely breed in the river. This means to me that the wall has not stopped the cycle, yes it has reduced the passage up river but the river and the fish found a way to adapt with the wall past pikes and past the first weir which is after the railway bridge between pikes and Bruce Hwy. This gives hope to me for the future. BTW just above the first weir I found a school of Toga, hope they return once the flood stops again.

If the river returns back to at least where it was before the flood, it is still one of the best places to fish, however I do believe that it will be way better once things settle down. For the number of barra that leave the river there will be heaps that stay. I only hope that they were not too late in the season to breed this year.

Why am I sitting hear typing and not fishing - because it is blowing at least 35 knots and the dam (as of yesterday) is still overflowing by about half a metre. So I might just grab a light line and float some prawns under a bridge in the Calliope because I can't get to the barra.

About river netting - I don't believe that it should be allowed in any river system. Keep it to the oceans and larger bays.

Well that's some of my thoughts.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 05:40:35 PM »
Great contribution Brian, while I was on the Boyne recently I was pondering how great that river system is, in such a short distance from the mouth to Pikes Crossing. It has everything and I was also wondering what other species reside there. Great to here about the Togas which are one of my favourite fish to target in the fresh.

I'll be definately planning another yrip up there when things settle down to target other species along with the Barra.

Dave

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Gladstone
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 09:14:08 AM »
Give me the heads up Dave when you're coming up and work permitting I'll come for a fish. Ha famous last words - work permitting, we are so busy up here it's crazy.

Before the last overflow I found the Toga on the other side of Pikes, meaning instead of going towards the wall from pikes go the other way, head all the way down to the first weir and fish from there back to the swing hanging from the tree. A yak will be best but a small tinnie would do as well. If land based fish from the extreme left hand side of the swing area.