Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Brisbane River Bass report  (Read 18766 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Brisbane River Bass report
« on: December 23, 2011, 08:53:38 PM »
A few of the Sweetwater crew hit the Mid Brisbane river this afternoon.
I was the last to show up at Heart Attack Hill (Shines Road) around 3 - 3:30pm and by the time I got down to the other lads they had already landed a few bass.

I trolled over to the lads and caught my first one as I pulled up for a chat, that was on an older Deception Shrimp hard body lure in a frog color pattern.

Heading further upstream I got a few good hits on one of my Flatz Roller spinnerbaits (white) & then got totally smashed up by something nice. Mental note that the 15lb leader might not be good enough....???

Switched over to a black/gold flatz roller and had some casts into tight cover for a couple of rats. A long clearing cast up along the outside edge and my rod bucked with something of a better class on the end; up came a 50cm bass. After taking a quick pic on the truth mat I was abjut to lift it over the side for release when the bass kicked & impaled one of it's spines about half an inch into the palm of my hand.....ouch. It bled nicely so hopefully no infection will be coming.

After some ribbing from the lads about being a sooky la la I was back in the game & got hammered again on the next cast, this one was was a 54cm bass.

Third time's a treat I thought as I got a big whack next cast but didn't hookup.

50 meters and a few casts later I got belted again by something big & was towed in towards the bank; it had run 20 meters or so downstream towards me & bricked me in some snags while I was trying to catch up some slack line from it running back towards me. Leaving it a few minutes to hopefully swim itself out I did the "no guts, no glory" caper locking up the reel, point the rod straight at it & yank.... the spinnerbait pulled free minus the fish..... oh well.  :'(

Working further along the river casting both towards the edge, along the outside edge of overhanding trees and straight up the middle (in reality the fish were turning up anywhere) we all caught some more rat to average size fish.

Basser headed back towards the kick off point leaving The Steve & I to push a little further along. I managed to pull another two bass over the 50cm mark on the good old Black n Gold spinnerbait and a couple more rats. Steve was working the other side of the river & seemed ot be on a fish every 2nd or 3rd cast, I think he caught several more than I did but I think my average fish was bigger.

The slight drizzle of rain started to get heavier & the setting sun was hard to get a bearing on with the cloud cover. I decided to head back & The Steve paddled back as well. I trolled a hard body for a little while for nothing.

A hundred meters from the launch point we could see Basser half way up the hill, by the look of it, the climb out was quite slippery.
The rain had turned the hill getting out quite slippery, especially wearing crocs.

The Steve beat me to the top of the hill and then came back & helped me with the last 10 meters up the hill (thanks mate)

All in all a fun late arvo. Good company, a pretty location & a few good fish... you can't ask for much more.

I don't know how many the other lads caught, I recon they caught more than my 15 or so, almost all of mine were on the flatz roller spinnerbait in black/gold.  I'll leave it to the other guys to report what they caught.

Thanks for the arvo Basser & Steve.

Will download & post up some pics tomorrow.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: Birsbane River Bass report
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 09:56:29 PM »
Yeah, got a few, had a few laughs and a few casts.  Hey Steve, how hard is that Tarpon to paddle with the anchor out mate?  I'm way over that bloody hill though.  I'm not sure what I broke, but I hope it wasn't important.  I can't stand up straight, and it hurts when I move.  Took a bit of video to show people how four strokin' works.  Posted it here:
http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php/topic,3117.msg12505.html#new

First bit of Video with the new Contour HD1080 and I don't got any editing software yet.  Sorry.

Offline Member

• Serial kayak seller and buyer
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 114
  • Liked: 18
  • Kayak Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 10:32:52 PM »
Nice one guys. I am there at 5am tomorrow. Hopefully the rain has buggered off and the fish are still hungry.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 10:34:46 PM »
Do you use the waterproof case for the Contour 1080 matey ? thats the only way i can find to fit it to my yak without using the headband. I have 1 small clip i edited out of a 30 min vid but i cant seem to get along with the Contour editing software so just opend the raw file in windows movie maker. They dont seem to like low light but you can get polorising filters.

Great report Fitzy been too long since ive seen one from you  :youbeauty

And well done to Steve for catching a few bass i spose  :P

Steve

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 11:12:02 PM »
Was much brown stuff coming out of the Lockyer?

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 11:33:37 PM »

Great report Fitzy been too long since ive seen one from you  :youbeauty

Steve

Alot of the stuff I do these days is crawling around in upper catchment streams looking for smaller fish / crays etc. Pretty ho hum boring stuff to the average angler but a great way of learning more about our waterways and systems. Never enough time for a casual fish the past couple of months......

Cheers,

fitzy..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 06:12:24 AM »
Steve, I'm using the waterporrf case and a RAM mount on the Yak.  I'm not all that happy with the Contour, but I'm learning.  I think a Gopro is a better unit in a lot of areas.  I'll keep playing.  You can get software to convert the .mov files to .avi.  I think I'll try that.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 06:44:00 AM »
As the boys have said before me it was a good arvo.

How many fish? dont know, really lost count. Did manage to crack a 50 and a unicorn in 3 casts. Yep the first two fish would have been 25 just and then the third backed up with about a total length of about 10. No fork measurements here mate.

All fish were caught on a double colorado spinner bait in caramel and a 1/2 oz blade.

There is some really nice water up the top there and is a real pretty place. I needed to change my leader because of all the scuffs in it but it managed to hold through for the session.

Dale, yep its a pain in the freckle trying to figure whats going on with your paddle stoke, am I caught on a stick? This four stoke thing is hard work till one of ya mates tells you that your anchor is still out.

Now that thing that is broke Dale. Did the ol fella stand to attention this morning? if so all good. Other than that hope its all ok.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 06:55:04 AM »
As the boys have said before me it was a good arvo.

How many fish? dont know, really lost count. Did manage to crack a 50 and a unicorn in 3 casts.

A Unicorn??????Wtf?  You can't utter that word without further explanation buddy . Show me the Unicorn !!!

Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 07:03:09 AM »
A Unicorn??????Wtf?  You can't utter that word without further explanation buddy . Show me the Unicorn !!!

Cheers,
Dave.
50 and a unicorn in 3 casts. Yep the first two fish would have been 25 just and then the third backed up with about a total length of about 10
25 + 25 + 10 = 60 !!!!!!

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 07:05:44 AM »
I got my best fish in the dirty stuff at the mouth of the Lockyer. 
Now, a question about saving my cajones.  At the Convention Wes gave Pam a Red lure called a lil Somerset, or something like that.  I'm wondering where a bloke could purchase the exact same lure, as I may have inadvertantly lost Pam's to a good fish yesterday.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 4
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: unicorn forest
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 07:07:31 AM »
Good work guys, I took a mate from Townsville yesterday morning (his first lure expirence). We were on the water for 2 hours. I ended up with 13, he got 9b and a yella.

Dave yesterday morning the brown stuff had started to ease off and there were patches of green as I headed up to the juction. The Lockyer is still very much muddy however visability in it has gone from about 1 inch to prob 2 1/2 inch since wednesday.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 07:08:10 AM »
25 + 25 + 10 = 60 !!!!!!

Ahhhh , sometimes its hard to decifer some of Steve's 'poetry' . Cheers

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 10:08:36 AM »
Dale, yep its a pain in the freckle trying to figure whats going on with your paddle stoke, am I caught on a stick? This four stoke thing is hard work till one of ya mates tells you that your anchor is still out.

And you cost me a fish!!!

Small | Large

Offline Member

• Serial kayak seller and buyer
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 114
  • Liked: 18
  • Kayak Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 10:46:11 AM »
I'm wondering where a bloke could purchase the exact same lure, as I may have inadvertantly lost Pam's to a good fish yesterday.

http://www.fysshelures.com/default.htm

I got a fair few this morning. Very frustrating morning for me. Started off up in the clean stuff for a couple of hours for only one fish moved back to the junction and cast under Dave's yella tree and proceeded to catch four bass in four casts. Then some guys came along in a double sit in and I told them where to cast and their jackals got smashed every cast while my spinnerbait had gone cold. I moved off for a troll down the creek. Got as far as the pump on the right hand bank and the reel was screaming. Up came a 44cm tagged bass, noice. Proceeded to troll between the junction and the launch spot for a fish a pass, sometimes 2.

So they have moved into the dirty water but you can see some clearer patches when standing at the top of the hill so it's starting to clear up. Nothing big for me, only measured the one fish and that's cause it was tagged.

So why was it frustrating? My new 11lb line I bought certainly doesn't have the stated breaking strain. 4 fish were lost on the strike and my drag was not set tight. I was using 10lb leader and it was breaking at the knot between braid and leader. So I now need new line and replace the four spinnerbaits I lost, expensive morning.