Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Mary River Cod  (Read 18417 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: Mary River Cod
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 11:45:51 AM »
The Stanley river is open for fishing for Marys as far as I can tell.  It's above the wall of Lake Somerset.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 12:55:44 PM »
As AB said above. MRCs are not protected upstream of the Somerset dam wall, actually anywhere upstream of Wivenhoe dam. Bag and size limits apply.
Should they be protected upstream of Somerset Dam? In my opinion absolutely...!!!

Where should a line be drawn? I could advise DAFF and B&FP of best location (but prefer not to publicly share that info), but they will be looking for a landmark to attach a demarcation line to. C:-)  So I would suggest either Villeneuve Bridge or the junction of Mary Smokes Creek.

On the Upper Brisbane River? There is little point as much of this river has been that raped by poor farming practices I believe there's little chance of cod ever being viable.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 14
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 01:31:12 PM »
That is very upsetting, I would have bet my boat that the MR Cod was protected up in the Stanley. That is prim Cod country, I think the line should be at the bridge, very obvious land mark. What a shame...... :'(

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 07:59:32 PM »
The minister is also partly to blame for overruling opinions of fisheries and stating that it is permissible to take a photo of an accidentally caught regulated species before releasing. previously it was determined that taking a photo was not releasing promptly.
 As an aside I believe that there is a strong case of closing down the entire Mary River system during breeding season. If they can do it in other states why not Qld?
 Was listening to Stephan Sawnok at PRFMA meeting last night and one disturbing thing that he stated was the lack of juvenile MRC in survey reports which seems to indicate absence of any natural recruitment.
Maybe Elops can comment on this.
 Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • View Gallery
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 10:43:13 PM »
he stated was the lack of juvenile MRC in survey reports which seems to indicate absence of any natural recruitment.
That one sentence has highlighted a MAJOR part of the problem. Shamateur dipsh!ts armed with tagging guns going out & think its ok to target & catch protected fish because they're "doing a survey". What does stabbing a fish with a tag (and then add an extra few minutes for the fish to be out of the water to tag, measure & stroke their small manhood etc) mean that it will happily swim back to it's nest, just because it's been tagged? Seriously WTF??
Then to make it worse, DAFF are actually contemplating ligitimising this practice. WTF yet again??  :Hunting)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 06:39:50 AM »
It seems there are a lot of stocked fish in the Mary system, and the local kids are having a ball catching them, saying there are plenty of them, without waiting for the official word.  Until there is a totally self sustaining population of Mary River Cod in the Mary River System the fish is in real strife.  The fact that Somerset Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association had to donate $10,000 to the Gerry Cook Hatchery in an attempt to stop it folding shows how much the Government really cares about this endangered specie.  Since the new dam was stopped nobody seems to give a flying continental about them.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Borumba dam
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 03:01:59 PM »

Then to make it worse, DAFF are actually contemplating ligitimising this practice. WTF yet again??  :Hunting)

Just wondering where you get the information regarding the above statement from??? I'd be very interested.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
  • View Gallery
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2015, 03:52:09 PM »
Well if you hate photo's of them being held up, you're going to be livid at this video I saw the other day!

Anyone who has been part of the stocking program, and or the Mary Cod recovery program, know which creek this is!  :Hunting)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Borumba dam
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 01:19:30 PM »
NSW has a total closure to protect Eastern Cod and a closed season to protect Murray Cod in spawning season. But meanwhile in QLD.................we have an ever increasing amount of fishing effort in MRC habitat which with the change in the Bass regs has increased considerably this season and no closed season at all for Murray Cod with the exception of the border Rivers.

There have been some recent changes to the regulations regarding both MRC and Murray Cod.
Murray Cod are now protected during the spawning closure throughout all waters of the Murray darling Drainage Division in Queensland, not just the border rivers as they were previously.
MRC are a no take species except in some stocked impoundments and there is a closed season that applies to all waters aligned with the Murray Cod closed season.
The issue with "targeting" these fish is almost impossible to prevent as there are other species in the same waters that are able to be taken.
You can check them out here -: www.daf.qld.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/rules-regulations

Cheers
Hambone