Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Barramundi - Lake Awoonga  (Read 28486 times)

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 93
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Barramundi - Lake Awoonga
« on: September 16, 2010, 11:21:50 AM »
Well, it's full steam ahead  for chartered fishing trips on the impressive new-look Lake Awoonga. The lake is a beauty, with miles of foreshore to explore and fish. New, hidden secrets will be unearthed in the world of land locked barra this season. It's set to be a cracker. To say the waterway is huge is literally an understatement- and it'd be fair to say no one has explored every corner since the rise , and since the establishment of the fringes after the wet. I've done some serious poking about in the last week from early mornings to chartered trips throughout the middle of the day. Once again, the barra have worked with the change of their lake home and a few behaviour adjustments from the fish have been noted. Charters have been steady, and clients have worked for every fish, each fish commonly ranging from about 84cm to 117cm; mainly either side of the 100cm mark. As per norm,  we alter techniques to suit the weather, wind and any external influence on the system. Internal influences also take their toll on the fish and the wet environment, so guides are always on the ball searching for advantages in the fishery that suit the angler's skill sets. The odd day has been a bit slow, others sharing a flurry of activity across ideal weather triggers and stability periods. Being in the right spot at the right time is important. One thing to take into consideration is mental attitude and work rates.
Positivity breeds results, if the physical side can handle the challenge.
During the final session of a 3 day recent charter, a client  who was ill and tired handed me the rod after a few hours fishing- gesturing me to take over and fish along side his mate. I hooked 3 cracking fish in 30 mins, much to his disgust,,, and excitement- so much is the fine line of finesse fishing alive and kicking- particularly on the days they don't seem hungry.
Extended day charters seem most beneficial for clients who are keen to land trophy fish and fine tune learnt skills. Some days the hard bodied lures are a key, whilst the next can be dominated by a plastic lure- nothing has changed there. Deepwater fishing has produced fish off the bottom in 40 ft, as have surface lures wiggled through scum and crappy mossy foreshores. Any day can dictate a multitude of fishing styles to suit the opening handed to us by mother nature. Diversity is the key. Experience on the water is the big asset, and at the drop of a hat, a guide can change his mind on tactical approaches simply by following the skies, the water, and the wind. It's funny how the fish are influenced by these factors, and how a guide is also driven by the very same alterations in conditions. Who's controlling who? It's the weather controlling both the fish and the guide's decisions. Funny that - especially when we still have flash boats, modern tackle and the like - it still comes back to what the earth tells us!
If anyone is interested in a charter, don't hesitate to call.
Photos to follow.
Regards,
Johnny Mitchell

Charters- from single day to extended packages.
Johnny Mitchell  Lake Awoonga 0429 723 757
Rod Harrison     Lake Awoonga  0418 892 600

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
Re: Barramundi - Lake Awoonga
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 11:25:27 AM »
Mid-lake, about 1.5 km from shore, we discover a half drowned rat, or similar named critter. Do we leave it, or save it? The photos tell the rest.

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 11:32:27 AM »
Deepwater fish as well as fringe fish are par for course.

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 11:34:02 AM »
The second photo shows a heavy bulit Awoonga fish doing it's best to jump in the boat. This fish was boated.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 24
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 02:02:42 PM »
G'day Johnny ,
hope your well mate !! We'll be up there on the 23rd oct & hopefully we'll  have a good week . The place is sure gunna be different to the last couple of years . Would've loved to another guide session with ya this year , but the old finances are a bit tough  :-[ It's been another shocker of a year down here. Did you get a new minn kota  I pilot ????  I did & they are great . Hope to see ya on the water next month & if I come into some coin between here & then I'll give you a call & see if you've got any unbooked time  8) 8)
cheers AL

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 06:36:04 PM »
Hey Johnny,

Thanks for sharing, with some nice fish boated by your clients. We were wondering how Awoonga is shaping up as the weather gets warmer after spending a couple of hard weekends a bit further south.

We're hoping to get on the dam mid October too, it's been a while since I have last visited and looking forward to a change of scenery.

Take it easy!

Cheers Dave

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 06:47:40 PM »
Love the action shot JM they are sweet... Awoonga is looking the goods mate.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 12
  • Liked: 5
  • So Many Fish - So Little Time !
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Florida Keys USA
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 07:41:58 AM »
We'll be camped up at the dam from this Sunday for a week - May see ya on the water at some stage  ;)

Regards Scotto

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 09:48:10 AM »
Love that shot jumping into the boat, good stuff.

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 10:02:05 PM »
Al,
I haven't put an I-pilot on as yet, but am seriously thinking about it. Yell out when you're up here in October, you too Bracey. Scotto, I hope you packed a rain coat, or six. There has been some good fishing in the wet, with just one slow day for us. One day in the wet produced fish to 112cm and action at every spot we stopped at. One day was balmy calm, warm and wet, and the barra said yep, we'll bite in this weather thank you. Tomorow will be interesting, with more rain forecast and with storms mixed in as well! CQ is in flood-------in September! Bizzare!
Johnny Mitchell

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 24
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 07:03:11 AM »
Johnny ,
I'll give you a ring when I get up there & if you have a spare half hour or so ,your welcome to jump in & have a play with the Ipilot !! . I reckon that in your game it would be a very handy tool indeed.
I know for us this year there'll be no having to drop anchors  8)
cheers AL

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 06:02:10 PM »
What a wonderful office you have to work out of Johhny since those recent renovations ....... mindblowing is the word that comes to mind.  Awoonga has now so many new faces and screams time to be spent out there   -  Certainly those extra 90mins drive from Brisbane are worth it .

Chris

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 09:54:17 PM »
Chris,
The mighty Awoonga is closing in on 15 years, since barra stockings began. We have the same fish as last year, but we have another lake. The 2010 flood has, as you mentioned created a literally mind blowing waterway. Every bend, turn, or twist of the foreshore hides another eye-popping fishy secret. To expand on that, we have hooked barra in over 40 places this month. The areas to fish are endless, the types of fishing available within is now totally up to the skill level of the angler. I couldn't see anyone saying the lake is boring - the fishing diversity opens opportunities for any keen fisho.  The place has new beauty, unmatched in its recent history I'd reckon.
Johnny

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 07:25:05 AM »
Hi Johnny  ....
after spending a few days there recently .... which was way too short :(  The time we spent poking our noses into a few backwaters up the Boyne River was amazing. When you tuck into to some little cove or behind some hill , you feel a million miles way from it all -  best of all , there were fish  :) -    Any notion of a bit of a boring dam has certainly gone out the window..... and any one with even a tiny bit of a sense of adventure would have that well and truly satisfied while ever the dam levels stay up.  It certainly not all about points & bays.
What a location to fish these coming months!

Chris   

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 10:31:30 AM »

It certainly not all about points & bays.
Chris

That notion was supposed to have died years ago, but still hasn't. Maybe it takes longer for others to realise this. I mentioned similar things to a ' big wig comp angler' a few years back. He laughed at me! I smirked to myself, and left it at that. I think that angler came last, or not far from it.
But you are right, the picture perfect environment holds many styles of fish habitat, so much so that it should be possible to not have another boat near you for a whole session - if anglers spread out and searched. Lillys, timber, weeds, open water, deep water, river beds, gullies- the list goes on. Dynamite in all corners- it should also create pockets of undisturbed fish- far from the crowds. That's a big positive on its own.
On another quiet note, I do hope you have noted the key value of any lake environment, its inhabitants and its structures. I don't have to say any more as  I'm sure you know what I mean here. Awoonga, like any lake after a flood, looks pristine, and I'm sure we want to keep it that way, without any visible scars. GAWB, and many naturalists cop very little, when a line gets crossed.
The fishing draws many visitors as does the freedom and the tranquility of the waterways where soft viewing and peaceful sounds tickle people's soles.  On any charter, it is common to watch people relax in a colourful world where nature's own weaves it's magic. The wild life on the lake at the moment has created a hive of activity. Food fish populations are booming, barra are also in their element. Everyone seems happy at Awoonga Town.  The next jack could be 70-80cm, and who knows what sized barra will grace a lucky angler's deck this season. 35 - 40 kg? Awoonga, Monduran?
Johnny Mitchell