Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)
Currently:
  • A Cod fishing report for StevenM 5 1

Author Topic: A Cod fishing report for StevenM  (Read 11596 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
  • Liked: 0
  • I love fish and chips
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: pub
Re: A Cod fishing report for StevenM
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 08:57:36 PM »
The post says: What the??? Are taggers a law unto their own?
Are they? I havn't missed sh!t.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 06:59:13 AM »
Does that mean that fitzy tagged undersized cod? He has a sook about people tagging undersized bass in the suntag news post. He also mentioned something about different rules for different groups...? Have i missed something?

You are not quite comparing apples with apples . The tagging of Murray cod in the Dumaresq upstream of Bonshaw was paid for by the Murray Darling Basin Committee , administered by qld and nsw fisheries, utilizing volunteer labour and had a start AND end date of tagging activities. The program was brought about because no data on population size/density existed. As the program only finished last December , the final reports are yet to be publicly released.

You are drawing a long bow trying to equate tagging of cod( whatever their size) with tagging of bass where the tagging is done under no real framework/program ,without a start and end date , and no direct input from fisheries. The main gist of that particular thread was continued tagging of bass in SEqld impoundments doesn't add anything new to the knowledge pool that already exists.

Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 07:15:09 AM »
Does that mean that fitzy tagged undersized cod? He has a sook about people tagging undersized bass in the suntag news post. He also mentioned something about different rules for different groups...? Have i missed something?

callum, there is a great difference between participating in a tagging program undertaken by a joint team of NSW and Qld Fisheries Officers to study the effects of overstocking rivers with an apex predator, and the un-checked, open slather tagging carried out by well meaning anglers involved in a group who do nothing to provide feedback to the Stocking Groups, or to the general public when they make enquiries about tag returns.  There are two completely different issues here, which you obviously do not understand.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 28
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the lawn mower isn't
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 09:44:56 AM »

Actually it wasn't Fitz that tagged that fish.  It was me, and at the same time another 60 plus anglers were doing the same across the study area at the behest of NSW and QLD fisheries in the organised 5 year tagging programme.  It would be pointless to tag only legal fish because we'd be leaving a huge gap in the fundamental data that the study was out to capture: Growth rates in an overstocked system??

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 10:05:55 AM »
Hi Callum,

Did you see a hat floating and stick your head in it?

A fair comment and concern, however since you're taking a personal shot at me, I will respond. The comparison is chalk and cheese between any tagging I've done and the open slather tagging of bass in SE Qld lakes.

Since you've taken the interest and I've obviously touched a raw nerve,  I will point out that any tagging in Somerset and Wivenhoe has not been requested by the fisheries management body, nor is it required, nor has any previous data been shared; therefore worthless as a management tool.

As I've pointed out to those who run the tagging program, if there's some specific info we need, we will ask for assistance. And if there is a specific program you'd like to run on these lakes I'd happily support it, but there was not then, nor has been since any request for a specific program. I can only assume from this, that the tagging on the above mentioned lakes is just done for the hell of it. We know fish growth rates, we know intra-lake migration and triggers, we know fish readily go over the wall. What else is to be learned by continued, open ended tagging? I don't really care if people want to go stabbing fish for no reason if that's what floats their boat, but I'd like to see undersized released straight away if the tagging is being done just for shits & giggles, hence my comments in another topic.

The only tagging I've done has been involved with has been on the Dumaresq River to support a research program instigated by the local stocking group and supported by 4 states and MDBA,  a program which had won awards and has gathered some fantastic data which has been shared with all involved. This was all done under permit and observation from research and enforcement authorities. It was conducted on a designated body of water, DNA collected, fish measured, tagged, locations recorded all within a specific time period. Some fish were also fitted with tracking devices and tracking stations in place throughout the system to monitor fish movement / migration.

Now, just so everyone is clear, suntag lost funding recently due to QLD Govt austerity measures, at the same time RFEP funding was lost. Suntag pleaded poor and got funding back, while RFEP has not. So is tagging more important to recreational fishing that the fish themselves? Considering there's over 100 water bodies in Qld with no state funding (due to RFEP being cut), the likes of Ewen Maddock Dam, Lake Kurwonbgah & Wyaralong Dam to name a few are now potentially going to be fishless, but anyone is free to go and tag undersized fish at these at will; the priorities are just plain crazy IMHO.  I know where I'd rather some restored funding to go........ What about you?

Thanks for your comments.

Back to the topic. I'm heading out there in a couple of weeks to try for some frosty cod.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
  • I love fish and chips
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: pub
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 04:05:53 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up fitzy although it was not a personal attack its just that your name was on the posts in question. It wouldn't have mattered whose name was on them. Novice kinda gets what I'm saying and I agree now that its drawing a long bow. I'm still against tagging or even targeting undersize fish, especially goodoo.
And aussiebasser, that profile of mine that you posted earlier? Common sense would tell you that there is a little bit of bullshit happening there.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 24
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 07:51:08 PM »
There is no better place to be than a frosty dawn throwing a surface walker on a western river, the light is awesome, the anticipation is horrendous, Gods country...

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 16
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 03:40:59 PM »
Science