Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report.  (Read 2465 times)

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Jindabyne
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report.
« on: March 11, 2013, 12:08:35 AM »
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report. 11th MARCH 2013

By Steve Williamson. –
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Adventures.
0408 024436                      Shop -02 64561551

NEWS
Well just when we thought Autumn has arrived we are back to summer. Another week ahead of warm to hot days in the high 20’s to low 30’s and not a lot of rain to talk about. This has sent the surface fishing quite again and we are back to lead core lines and downriggers. The Thredbo River is again quite slow and the water is clear however a lot of the algae growth has been flushed by the recent rain. Here have been good reports of some dry fly fishing up around the Diggings and Ngarigo Camping areas.
Bait fishing is back to early and late in the day also.
If you want the most up to date information you need to call into my shop

LAKE LEVEL and TEMPERATURE
The lake level is at 81% and just going down a little after the rise we had a week ago so we are still quite high. I can not see any major water releases planned this year and expect the water level to stay quite high over winter. The water surface temperature today was 19 degrees.
Best methods to catch a trout.
Best method – Boat trolling deeper water now 25 to 35 feet.
Best lake lure –111 Willys Special Tasmanian Devil, Frog Pattern 50 and Spotted Dog Rapalas are now doing well.
Best lake area – Lion and Cub Island, East Jindy Islands and the South Arm.
Best fly method lake – Black Woolly Bugger and Williamson’s Goldfish.
Best River Fly Fishing– Hopper and caddis patterns with a small nymph dropper
Best River Lures – Thredbo River. Number 1 Celtas, Gillies Feathertails and 3cm Rapalas.

Let’s have a look at what the fishing is going to be like over the next few weeks.

Trolling.
Start the day and surface troll in the shallows early (till 7am) with minnow lures like Rapalas and then later in the morning change to 13 or 20 gram Tasmanian Devils. Best colour is Y82, Holographic, 111 Willy’s Special Tasmanian Devil, or other greens and gold Tassies
Down rigging certainly has once again improved, with trout down from 25 to 25 feet. Plenty of rainbows with even some good browns to a kilo plus. Just use longer drop backs of up to 20 feet when the fishing is quite, otherwise the lure can be as close as 2 metres behind the bomb.

Lake Bait Fishing 
(Primarily most rivers and streams in the Snowy Mountains Region are fly and lure only, We recommend that you first check with the Department of Industry and Investment NSW (NSW Fishing rules) as to which rivers in the area you can legally bait fish in. IF IN DOUBT DON’T BAIT FISH in the RIVERS!)
Shore based bait fishing continues to be good and over the last week, so long as you are on the water at sunrise or sunset and the best baits are mudeyes, (please note that Mudeyes are hard to find and to purchase now) scrubworms teamed up with artificial bait as an attractant is the best way in the brighter parts of the day.
Best areas for bait fishing at the moment have been, Waste Point area, The Claypits, Hatchery Bay, Town Centre in
front of Banjo Patterson Park and The Snowy Arm.

Lake Spinning
Lure spinning on the lake has still been good and there are trout about and the best fishing is in the shallows early and deep water later in the middle of the day. The Tasmanian Devil 111, Y82 and Y48 have all been good.
Minnow lures like floating Rapalas, Stumpjumpers and other minnow style lure in either natural rainbow trout and brown trout patterns or gold colours to represent the Jindabyne goldfish that the trout love to chase and eat.
Don’t stay in one place too long and only put in a couple of casts in each area.
Shallow areas try Gillies Feathertails and Tailwalkers which are new products worth a look.
Some new lures to try in the dark are the new glow Blue Fox Vibrax spinners. Charge them up with a torch or camera flash and watching them spin through the water is incredible, trout are very inquisitive and often hit the lure hard.
Jaz Raza Blade 40 in Gold is also a must in your box of tools.
Call into my shop and I will show you some of the better soft plastics that we are having great success on over the last week.

River Spinning
The Thredbo has been fishing a little slower this week, the higher up the mountain the better the fishing at the moment. Celtas and 3cm Rapalas and Feathertails will be good but other lures working well are Vibrax Blue Fox and don’t forget the soft plastics as they can be rigged so that they are snagless (almost) when you want to fish deep where the fish often lie.

Fly Fishing Lake
Lake fishing the small bays and inlets should get some results very early and late in the day if you’re careful not to spook the trout. Woolley Buggers, Craig’s Night time and Williamson’s Goldfish have been the flies well worth using at dawn and dusk. The shallow bays on the lake are worth a try early before the sun rises but after that you had better be fishing deep.
Fly fishing Rivers and Streams
Dry fly is still happening especially in the top Alpine streams and higher up on the Thredbo river. Hoppers are still about, but caddis patterns, beetle patterns and mayfly patterns are all still worth a try. Maybe a brown or black nymph dropper would also be advisable.
For visitors to the Snowy’s we have a full range of fishing tackle for hire at my shop and fishing tours are now available.
Have you any photos that you can e-mail me?
I can use the information to add into my own reports and your photo might not only end up in my report but might also go into a draw for the best fish of the month which will win you a $50 Tassie Devil Tackle Pack.

For more information on the latest fishing conditions, please call into –
STEVE WILLIAMSON’S TACKLE SHOP
             Shop 1 Snowline Centre, Kosciuszko Road Jindabyne 2627
Fishing Charters – Bait and Tackle Supplies- Marine Supplies

P.M.B. 5 Jindabyne NSW 2627             E-mail  swtrout@airlan.com.au     www.swtroutfishing.com.au  Shop – (02) 64 561551