Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Treble upgrade for Bomber Long A  (Read 8464 times)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
Treble upgrade for Bomber Long A
« on: February 28, 2011, 12:25:18 PM »
Not too many would deny that the Bomber Long A is a very effective Barra lure. The only problem is that the hooks and rings need an upgrade. I'm in the process of doing this to about 4 Bombers in the tackle box and began by getting some size 20 stainless steel split rings. I also purchased a couple of packs of 6 Owner ST-66TN 4X trebles. These are about the right size for Barra but turned out to be too heavy for the lure. Trying to lighten the load I removed the middle treble and split ring and only put one of the Owner trebles on the rear leaving the original hardware up front. The result is a lure that rises slowly to the surface plus the action was slightly dampened as well, although this can be overcome by a bit of twitching. I'd be interested to hear of anyone else's experience with this up grade, along with any suggestions.
Cheers,
John

fishing is not essential to life, it's much more important

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
Re: Treble upgrade for Bomber Long A
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 06:04:16 PM »
Not too many would deny that the Bomber Long A is a very effective Barra lure. The only problem is that the hooks and rings need an upgrade. I'm in the process of doing this to about 4 Bombers in the tackle box and began by getting some size 20 stainless steel split rings. I also purchased a couple of packs of 6 Owner ST-66TN 4X trebles. These are about the right size for Barra but turned out to be too heavy for the lure. Trying to lighten the load I removed the middle treble and split ring and only put one of the Owner trebles on the rear leaving the original hardware up front. The result is a lure that rises slowly to the surface plus the action was slightly dampened as well, although this can be overcome by a bit of twitching. I'd be interested to hear of anyone else's experience with this up grade, along with any suggestions.
Cheers,
John

At ease men, looks like the problem is solved. I found some Gamakatsu no.14 trebles size 2, removed the centre trebles and fitted the upgraded treble and split ring, the lure still suspends as it's supposed to and there is no noticable change to the action.
Cheers JD

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
Re: Treble upgrade for Bomber Long A
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 06:09:07 AM »
I prefer the short VMC 6X in size 2, reasonably light for a strong treble, tends not to affect the action.