Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Lenthalls another senseless waste.  (Read 14733 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 82
  • Liked: 18
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Lenthalls another senseless waste.
« on: July 13, 2011, 06:51:34 PM »
I got sent some pics today of the stillage pond below Lenthalls dam and  the senseless waste of Barra that get trapped in there every time if over flows,
The water De-oxygenates and the food supply dries up along with bitterly cold conditions in shallow water the Barra don't have a chance,all that is needed is a channel dug and kept clear of weed so the fish can migrate down stream but that would take some money and some common sense and we all know local and state Governments don't know the meaning of that.
I see this act of not clearing the weeds to allow the fish to travel down stream as animal cruelty,it would be a horrible death for the poor barra.
In the past Wide Bay Water has given access to the pond to the Fraser Coast Fish Stocking Assoc to get some of the fish out but they have stopped access to this area for some reason and now the fish are just rotting in the water below and it appears there has been no effort by them to get the dead fish out which will in a short time destroy the water quality and more fish will die.
Here's a few pics

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
Re: Lenthalls another senseless waste.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 09:26:55 PM »
G'Day Paul,
Pretty hard to come up with an adequate answer to that post mate. Nobody likes to see waste of any kind, particularly a recreational resource this Barra.
JD

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 09:40:16 PM »
And ironically at another time of the year these AWOL fish would be protected by a closed season. Stocked fish, with public money into public water.... rec anglers should be allowed to go catch as many as they want before things like this happen...

Yep a waste.

fitz..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 82
  • -Receive: 20
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 09:54:34 PM »
Sure is a real waste, in 2007 we visited Lenthalls and seen the same waste when the water rolled over, there where hundred of stocked fish floating near the wall this was act of nature, but when they go over the wall surely someone should be allowed to step in and assist  to save such waste of fish.

Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 10:23:52 PM »
Yes a waste indeed!!the thing that really pisses me off is that if they were cattle,cats or dogs someone would be held accountable for such cruelty but because they are fish and a money making organisation controls the situation nothing is done,I'd like to know why the Ranger out there isn't bringing it to the attention of the relevant authorities eg: fisheries or EPA or RSPCA!! I know I did when I was employed as a ranger out there!!!maybe the media needs to hear about it!!!!to get something done

2007 was a bad year on the lake but nothing could be done about it,the dam had just been cleared of all the scrub around the edges for the raising of the wall,the dam was at a all time low and sou west winds blew for weeks on end and the water temps got down to 12 deg and myself and the other ranger spent days on end for about a month picking up dead rotting barra so it didn't look bad to the public!!! but this is preventable with a bit of common sense and some money.
2008 saw the dam flow over in winter and thousands of adult bass died in the lower burrum river after their spawn run below no. 1 weir where they got trapped and it  should have a fishway on it and there was money and a lot of it supplied to the governing body by the state govt to build one but it never happen and probably never will and the waste will continue and if the waste cannot be stopped maybe barra should be,I'd rather see none than  all these dead ones.

Paul

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 02:04:00 AM »
Paul has your stocking group applied for a salvage permit from DEEDI/DPI ?

cheers
Steve

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 06:01:33 AM »
Steve, problem has always been permission to access the area. I dont know what the situation is know, but the bloke who was CEO of the water mob up there last time it happened was about as big a tosser as you can get.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 12
  • Liked: 5
  • So Many Fish - So Little Time !
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Florida Keys USA
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 06:49:27 AM »
Paul

It is a shame & a waste yes - but Wide Bay water has been pro-active in supporting the stocking group & we have already tried one salvage attempt about a month ago - with only a few fish being able to be caught & transferred back to the dam. A lot of the fish are just too large to handle safely.

The best solution is to have a deeper channel excavated between the stilling basin & No1 weir .............

We will continue to push for this & will be meeting with Wide Bay water again in September.

Regards
Scott Mitchell
President Fraser Coast Fish Stocking Ass

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 11:23:40 AM »
Scott yes I know Wide Bay Water has been helpfull in the past and as you would know I was a member of the stocking group for 7 years untill last year and was a ranger at the dam for 2 years and this is why I put this thread up because I know how they work and unless made to spend money they wont.
As you can see when you go out there all that is needed in the short term is get the weeds out of the way[make a channel through them and the fish can move down stream] and then they will survive,these barra need food and stability in water temps which they will get with deeper water but not where they are atm.
On the last rescue I was involved in with  the stocking group I walked one barra down stream from where it was electro fished and it was knee deep but thick with weeds and the fish cannot get through so if those weeds were removed they could travel downstream but a channel would be much better but that wont happen.
DEEDI say that it has nothing to do with them :o I cant work that one out as it is the enviorenment and there are living creatures involved so they should be doing something so if they don't give a rats ar$e the controlling body can do what they like.
Wide Bay Water and the Ranger were contacted by the chronicle and were told there were no dead Barra in the stillage basin area obviously a lie!!! these fish are a Australian fishing icon and deserve better than what they are getting.
A small excavator could get down in there and clear a pathway without a great expense and the fish would survive maybe they should take a leaf out of the Gladstone Area Water Board Book and do something positive for the fishery[use the money they give for fingerlings to clear a path]better to have less alive fish than plenty of dead ones.
Maybe I'm wrong but I actually care about the fish's well-being and not just being able catching them all the time.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 05:26:57 PM »
 I am just curious :)   Where does that stream / Creek go too ? and wouldn`t   the water be rather polluted with that amount of Dead Fish rotting in it ???

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 01:22:04 PM »
Wrenchman it runs into the Burrum river and yes the water quality will suffer badly making it ever harder for the remaining fish to survive!!but apparently that doesn't matter their only fish.

Here's a article Nat Bromhead did in the local paper the Chronicle where he is now the fishing editor after giving away guiding here in Hervey Bay which is a smart move considering the way the QLD Govt looks after our fisheries.

If anyone would like to have their say to the water board or to the paper contacts are news paper mbedit@frasercoastchronicle.com.au or Wide Bay Water 1300808888

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 148
  • Liked: 14
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
Wide Bay Water Corporation, is this the managing organisation?

A quick search on their website shows they operate under the Queensland Local Government Owned Corporations Act.

A quick search of that website shows that there is a surprising lack of policies and guidelines (that I could see) that would cover a situation even remotely like this one. It also shows that Government owned corporations are exemmpt from a number of 'Acts'

The Current Chair of the Corporation is Leith Boully a founding member of the Wentworth Group of Concerned Scientists who are an independent group of Australian scientists concerned with advancing solutions to secure the long term health of Australia's land, water and biodiversity.

I wonder if she is aware, or was aware prior to the press coverage. Mightn't hurt to ask the question.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 06:03:32 PM »
Wide Bay Water Corporation, is this the managing organisation?

A quick search on their website shows they operate under the Queensland Local Government Owned Corporations Act.

A quick search of that website shows that there is a surprising lack of policies and guidelines (that I could see) that would cover a situation even remotely like this one. It also shows that Government owned corporations are exemmpt from a number of 'Acts'

The Current Chair of the Corporation is Leith Boully a founding member of the Wentworth Group of Concerned Scientists who are an independent group of Australian scientists concerned with advancing solutions to secure the long term health of Australia's land, water and biodiversity.

I wonder if she is aware, or was aware prior to the press coverage. Mightn't hurt to ask the question.

Thanks for the reply Dick,good detective work on that one :thumbsup yes mate Wide Bay Water is the  managing Corp the dam was owned by the Hervey Bay City Clowncil but they formed the WBW  Corp and it is now a separate business.

I have met Leith once in the BCF store I work in a couple of days a week when I sold her a pair of boots and we discussed Lenthalls and surrounding waterways breifly and she seemed like a really nice Lady so I will try to contact her on Monday and see if something can be done before it is too late.
 Scott might like to do it from the Stocking Assoc side as I'm no longer a member,but I don't think you need to be a member of a stocking Assoc to have thoughts on how a fishery is managed.
I have a Stocked Impoundment Permit so that makes me a stakeholder in the fishery,I contacted the RSPCA today and they are going to look into it as well.
Hopefully something positive can come from it for the good of the fish for the future but I wont hold my breath.

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 148
  • Liked: 14
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 12:43:17 AM »
Hopefully something positive can come from it for the good of the fish for the future but I wont hold my breath.

A resolution that involves collaboration between a Government organisation and a community group for the next event is good path to go down. Could be a bit of environmental cash flowing around for that sort of project unless the reconstruction has pilfered most of those sources.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 04:56:28 PM »
I called the RSPCA on Saturday re; the dead fish and fish still land locked fish, they confirmed that fish are covered under the ill treatment of anamils act and they will be meeting with a rep from Wide Bay Water tomorrow at the dam to try and work out something to help the fish that remain trapped.
Not saying all is fixed but at least a Govt body is now involved so something may get done hopefully.