Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Into the dragons lair – Unicorn search part II  (Read 6221 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
Into the dragons lair – Unicorn search part II
« on: April 30, 2011, 09:22:10 AM »
Spoke with Dave during the week and we made plans to hit the water again to search for the elusive unicorn. He kept telling me of broken gear, bricked in the timber, the tale of lost lures was starting to worry me. No other thing to do than head to the shops and get a couple of cheap spinner baits. Cheap, yep 9 buck no name K Mart jobs. Got two just in case.

Along the way out to the river I rang Fitz and advise him of the plan. Said he was in and would catch us up there At the launch site I found that Dave had slipped down the hill and had his yak in the water. Cheeky bugger. I wasted no time and got mine down and into the briny. Dave was the first to land a fish and it was your usual rat around the 40cm mark. I hooked onto a tug boat and it felt like a beauty. Once it broke the water I tried to hide it from view but Dave heard the grunting and new it was a power tail. Not a good start but anyway we had a bend in the rod for the second time for the day.

Dave got another one or two before I managed to land a bass. That sucker went right on the half way mark (fitty).

Dave said your finally on the board, good onya. Said he was going to keep tally today as he did last time and I never did. So after another fish Dave was on four and I was on one.

Here is one of Daves fish.

We headed up to the next pool and we had a few casts before I got onto a sleigh ride. That baby broke the surface and had shoulders. Oh my could this be it? So with me yahooin and Dave saying somethin’ bout a duck or truck we took it to the bank for a measure. Unfortunatly no unicorn, but a well feed 55.

Fitz came round the corner just as it was being released. Showed him the pic and we head further up the creek taking turns at first shot new pools. It was real tiger country though most of the creek, and Dave kept telling me this is the $100 pool (lost lures), or the 150 pool. Fitz chimed in with Dale lost a Jackal in this one Broke a rod in that one. I lost a anchor here. Me I still had on my 9 buck K MART special and she was doing fine.

Here is pick of fitz hard at it

and the end result

Each pool had a few fish and they ranged from the 30 to mid 40’s. Dave had lost count by now and mate I still had my shoes on so there was no way I had any idea what the score was.

The day was getting on the pools running out. Still no unicorn. Cast after cast through the sticks and brush and I was on again. sh!t this was has got me. I then went into overdrive and did the US bass pro on it and sculled dragged it while it was skull dragging me. Woooohoooo, this is it. It broke the surface like Red October before sliding back to the depths. I almost sh!t myself but as I was wearing my Sunday best shorts with only two rips and 5 holes I held on and grit my teeth.

In the net it came, well most of it anyway. With the tail hanging out over the side and Dave yelling duck(never saw any ducks by the way, don’t know where he was looking) With knees trembling, it had been raining and was a bit of a breeze and I was cold, I took the measure to the beast. Ship. No unicorn, a mean lookin 56 was all that it was. Rats, bloody rats, they are starting to annoy me.

Mate what does a bloke gotta do. With dark looming, and by no way am I scared of the dark but the mozzies will lift you off the water if your out there when it comes, we head down stream casting away, landing a couple before we reached the portage point to get off the river.

So in the end no unicorns, but that’s just another reason to head out there and give it another crack. Once again thanks to Dave and Fitz for the laugh and a good day.

See you on the other side.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Into the dragons lair – Unicorn search part II
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 01:50:37 PM »
Sounds like a great day on the water Steve and a great report. Great fish were caught and a few laughs with mates, you can't beat that.

Fancy running into that other pair.........

Dave

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 04:51:07 PM »
nice session guys.
was that a special request from Fitzy to use the soft focus option for his mug-shots?

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 06:18:15 PM »
Thanks for the invite guys. I live only a few kms from there but probably wouldn't have gone down there on my lonesome. I can fish it any time, it's more of a social thing. I had a great laugh with the guys, many thanks.
Will post video of the day up as soon as I've downloaded & stitched it together.  :camera

And a big thanks to Dave for helping push my canoe back up the hill, the mud was super slippery after the rain.

Now, where to take the lad for a flick tomorrow.... Twin Bridges or Colleges Crossing... Oh, BTW Colleges Crossing launching ramp is now open again. Called in there just on dark to see 3 kayakers coming back down The Washing Machine to the lagoon.

Cheers,

Fitz..

PS- Doug. Yes, I appreciate the soft focus.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 06:40:30 PM »
PS- Doug. Yes, I appreciate the soft focus.

And so do we.

As for it being a $150 pool.  I'm down a $200 rod a Jackall, three Evergreen blades and three Spinnerbaits, and that's not mentioning the hit to my pride.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 07:07:19 PM »
Fitz, always a laugh mate, cant take things too serious right.

Dale, mate stop using that good stuff. Went back up with Wayne D this arvo to try and break his Nojo. Best went 50 OL, pretty tuff. Lost the top willow off me other 9 buck cheapo spinner bait back in the main flow just we were about to leave. So my loss to date has been one willow blade. Should I replace it or retire the little cracker.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 08:11:25 PM »
Should I replace it or retire the little cracker.

Straight to the Pool Room................