Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: EPA continuing to investigate cause of dead fish in Georges River  (Read 3529 times)

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 369
  • Liked: 70
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
EPA continuing to investigate cause of dead fish in Georges River
Media release: 16 February 2015 NSW EPA

The NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) is continuing to investigate the possible cause of a fish kill in the Georges River at Moorebank near Liverpool which occurred over the weekend.

EPA officers have been actively investigating the incident over the weekend and took a number of samples of fish and water for testing and analysis. The EPA is  onsite again today and continues to work closely with staff from Liverpool Council and the State Emergency Service to resolve the incident as quickly as possible.

Booms have been placed in sections of the River to help contain and move the fish to shore and an excavator is being used to move the dead fish into trucks for proper disposal at a waste facility.

Four tonnes of fish have now been removed from the River since Sunday and their removal is expected to be completed today.

A storm on Sunday afternoon flushed white foamy water from a stormwater outlet into this section of the River, samples of this material were also taken for further testing and the EPA is continuing to work closely with local industry and the community to identify the exact nature and cause of this pollutant.

The EPA is also investigating a similar report of foamy water from last Friday evening and these community reports are vital information in piecing together what has occurred.

The initial test results about the condition of water in the river will be available late Monday. Further laboratory results of fish and water samples taken over the weekend are due back to the EPA late Tuesday and this may help narrow down the type of chemical agent that the EPA is looking for.

The EPA is continuing to advise people to avoid contact with the River between Liverpool Weir and the Casula Powerhouse  and reports of dead fish  outside of this area should be made to the Environment Line 131 555.

Anyone with information which they believe may be useful to the investigation is encouraged to contact the EPA’s 24hour Environment Line on 131 555. Confidential reports can also be made.
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

Sweetwater Fishing Home http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: EPA continuing to investigate cause of dead fish in Georges River
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 07:51:58 AM »
Interesting, there was a page on Social Media, South Creek Bass Club, which just closed down.  This is the message he has left.

This was a page dedicated to the art off Bass fishing and to highlight the talented anglers in our community.
 It was about responsible fishing practices and to highlight the importance South creek was to us.
 It was about keeping our sanity and we tried to highlight how much fun we have. Dumb jokes and all.
 Its funny because 75% of the time I fish on my own and don't go to tackle shops or buy magazines and rarely answer my phone I basically lost a big chunk of my water and probably a way off living my life that I will never have again.
 South creek catchment might be a well known polluted creek but it is magnificent and its all I had.
 Face book has been fun and I have made good friends and learnt a lot thanks guys.
 To Penrith Council and EPA one thing before I go.
 Your a bunch off dogs and I will never forgive you, I watched every thing every day for over a month crawling through that puss and you sent your testers out to test were you wanted not directing any real testing, you lied from the start to now still telling cr@p.
 Scum like the stuff on the water you are and a bunch of criminals and anyone in council at Penrith that hasn't got the guts to stand up to your bosses and the Mayor is just as bad.
 And another thing I hope SOUTH CREEK BASS CLUB got under your skin because if it did I just want you to know PENRITH COUNCIL that SOUTH CREEK BASS CLUB is just ME ba ha ha ha it always has been.
 Just been me one person not some big organisation and maybe you all should go on holidays you bunch off pathetic slobs and let me run the council for a year so I can make things better for your people.
 Honest person in council that would be a shock.
 thanks for destroying my life Aaron.

Aaron seemed devastated by the numbers of dead Bass he's been seeing for some time, and notified authorities.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 130
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
Re: EPA continuing to investigate cause of dead fish in Georges River
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 09:46:52 AM »
A bit like Gladstone harbour and the water test results peddled by the gov a few years ago.

And again at Abbott point.

When it comes to water testing and it's credibility, sometimes you can polish a turd :)