Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report- 28th October 2013  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Jindabyne
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report- 28th October 2013
« on: October 27, 2013, 12:50:42 PM »
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report. For week starting the 28th October 2013

By Steve Williamson. –
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Adventures.
0408 024436                      Shop -02 64561551

Fishing Roundup – Big weekend ahead!
Next weekend will be a very busy one in the Snowy Mountains with lots happening including the Snowy Ride where we can expect up to 4,000 motor bikes to be cruising around the mountains between Cooma and Khancoban and out to Adaminaby and Dalgety.
Of course for trout anglers it is also the weekend the  Snowy Mountains Trout Festival starts, the 40th anniversary of the competition.
So with the fishing on the lake still very good, lets have a look at what you can expect over the next week or so.

Best methods to catch a trout.
Best method – Bait off the shore on calm days, lure early and late or on windy days.
Best lake lure –Tasmanian Devil in green and gold (Willys Special), black and gold and brown bomber.
Best lake area – East Jindabyne Islands and Hatchery Bay.
Best fly method lake – Yabby Patterns and Williamson’s Goldfish.
Best River Fly Fishing–  Cold weather has put the fishing back to nymphs.
Best River Lures – Rapalas in BT and RT and bigger lures to 7cm and 9cm better.

Let’s have a look at what the fishing is going to be like over the next few weeks.

Trolling.
If I were to be focusing on catching trout for the Trout Festival competition I would be looking at starting off with a surface line and a larger Rapala and maybe the same  on the lead core lines which at the moment are a must have! After the first half an hour I would go to Tasmanian Devil lures may be in the 20 gram version and try using the Willy’s special number 111 on the surface and a black and gold SW special deeper off lead core line. I would be trolling close to the lake edges during this time. After a couple of hours of light I would be moving out to slightly deeper ware still running my lead core line at 3 colours (30 metres) and then start to use my downrigger at 25 feet lowering to 35 feet as it gets later and brighter into the day.
Best colour Tassies have been green and gold (Willy’s Special) yellowing type Tassies at the moment, maybe Y82, Holographic or Brown Bomber as well. Rapalas like the Brook Trout pattern of Perch pattern have still been very successful. I would also try a Gillies Wobbler for something different and on the downrigger it might be worth trying out the LED flashing Balista lure.

Lake Bait Fishing 
(Primarily most rivers and streams in the Snowy Mountains Region are fly and lure only, We recommend that you first check with the Department of Industry and Investment NSW (NSW Fishing rules) as to which rivers in the area you can legally bait fish in. IF IN DOUBT DON’T BAIT FISH in the RIVERS!)
Shore based bait fishing continues to be good with local Scrubbies, and artificial baits the best. Mudeyes have been working but they are very hard to come by as it has still been very cold up here in the mountains and there is a lot of water about after the rains last week. You are going to pay premium dollar if anyone is selling them and there will be no guarantee we will have them and if we do they will sell fast so maybe try placing an order in case we can get some.
The Claypits, Hatchery Bay, Town Centre near front of Banjo Patterson Park and The Snowy Arm are better spots.

Lake Spinning
No change in the lure spinning. Same lures are still working but like the trolling most lures will work ok if you’re in the right place for an aggressive trout. Blades in gold have been doing well at the moment. Try a Strike Pro Cyber Vibe 50 or a TT Switchblade.
The Tasmanian Devil Holographic, Pink, orange, Y82 and Y48 have all been good and so is the 111 Willies Special.
Minnow lures like floating Rapalas, (especially jointed Rapalas and give the Scatter Raps a try they have a fabulous action.), Stumpjumpers and other minnow style lure in either natural rainbow trout and brown trout patterns or gold colours to represent the Jindabyne goldfish that the trout love to chase and eat.

River Spinning.
If I was trying to catch fish for the Trout Festival, I would not be fishing the rivers at the moment, more fish are being caught in the lakes. The trout are there in the Thredbo, but most are in the very deep pools where you can’t see them. I suggest working the bottom with lures or soft plastics.
Bullet Lures I am sure will be well worth a throw on the Thredbo River and the Strike Tiger range in more natural colours might just work well first up. I would look at RT and BT Rapalas in the CD version.

Fly Fishing Lake
Early and late in the day is now the best black or olive Woolley Bugger, a Craig’s Night time or a Williamson’s Goldfish will be worth using.
The shallow bays on the lake are worth a try but you have to be very quiet and not too many casts in one spot so as not to spook the trout.

Fly fishing Rivers and Streams
After a week of fishing the rivers and streams I would say we need a little more warm weather before the fishing really picks up. We had snow as we fished on the Thredbo last week so the season is still very late starting.
Nymphs are still the best flies to use at the moment.
For visitors to the Snowy’s we have a full range of fishing tackle for hire at my shop and fishing tours are now available.

Have you any photos that you can e-mail me?
I can use the information to add into my own reports and your photo might not only end up in my report but might also go into a draw for the best fish of the month which will win you a $50 Tassie Devil Tackle Pack.

Support my shop and help keep these fishing reports coming!

Image: Peter Wayne with Threadbo River Rainbow Trout caught on a Rapala lure