Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Melville Magic  (Read 5222 times)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 13
  • Liked: 2
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Melville Magic
« on: November 09, 2011, 05:04:24 PM »
Thank you Qantas for a extended stay in Northern Australia , what a absolutley top shelf remote fishing location , no wonder the magazines are full of Melville at the moment , fish in their thousands , catch rates of 100 + fish a day , legendary locations such as Shark Bay , Snake Bay , Robinson Inlet , Jesse River , Johnson River and the many other creeks that the guides know of and some say the " Spiritual Place of Goose Creek " which at this time of year is packed with Magpie Geese ,Buffalo , Barra , Jack , Bream , Cod , Gropher , Tarpon , Toga , Catfish , Shark , Queenfish , Long Tom , Crocodiles , and heaps of other stuff that wants to eat your lure's , soft plastics as well as eat you personally or just are small part of you like the ants , sand flies and mosquitoes . Areoguard and a 6m plate aluminium boat can solve those problems but if you are keen to get in the water then wear your panty hoes for protection from the box jelly fish or " stingers " as the locals refer to and carry a gun !

Blue water fishing can have you pulling big Golden Snapper as often as you want , indeed three of us were dropping Nuclear Chicken Gulps onto the reef and three of us would hook up , mackeral , tuna , trevally , coral trout , spangled emporer , mother in law fish , spanish flag , big sharks and a myriad of other beasties were taking the " South Sydney's " while Sail Fish were free jumping around the boat , biggest fish from blue water for me aside from 2m + sharks was a Black jew over 120 cm , of countless barra caught the biggest I could manage was a 95 cm which still was a cracker of a fish .

Hardbodies were good but I would have to say that soft plastics would have taken more fish , aside from the Gulps the Z Man 10x tough green paddle tail minnows were ones the outshined the others , I think because the fish here dine alot on the jelly prawns which the plastics go a long way into " matching the hatch " good trick is to supa glue the bodies to the head and then it is not uncommon to take 50 or more fish before having to replace the body ( talking Z Man here ) Supa glue also is great for repairing a tear in a body ( originally it was used for torn bodies in Vietnam I have been told )
I was keen to do some fly fishing but the other two in the boat ( dedicated lure chuckers ) threatened violence and a swim home If I tried any of that BS while they were in the boat !
If you get the chance to go here then go , maybe some of the hottest fishing in Australia

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Barrier Reef
Re: Melville Magic
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 07:23:14 PM »
Great report mate, sound's like a lot of fun, well done.

Baz

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 08:59:33 PM »
LOve the enthusiasm, you packed a lot into a small space. By the way have you booked into the Physio yet?

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 03:57:43 AM »
LOve the enthusiasm, you packed a lot into a small space. By the way have you booked into the Physio yet?
   Yeah two times a day and one naprosyn tablet till the soreness goes away LOL

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 05:43:13 AM »
Some nice fishing amongst some awesome backdrops, it doesn't get much better than that.

Thanks for sharing your extended trip with us.

Dave

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 07:28:13 AM »
Yes the back drop to the Barra is the legendary Jessie River Rock Bar hence the Salt Water Barra ,  the back drop of the Jew is Melville Island from the " Blue Water " the back drop every morning is a sunrise over Snake Bay that words cant describe , a bit is lost even taking a picture but it gives you a general idea .
Cheers

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 08:37:50 PM »
 :youbeauty :youbeauty great report

Got any pics of goose creek? Would love to go there one day

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 09:40:58 PM »
:youbeauty :youbeauty great report

Got any pics of goose creek? Would love to go there one day
yeah but not any real scenic shots , all of fish in the water , crocs in the water , buffalo in the water , have got some good video of the massive flocks of Magpie geese on the flood plains , I will post it up so you can have a look , truly a must visit part of Australia . This pic shows the water of Goose Creek and what the upper end amongst the water lilies are famous for ! mouth of Goose , Casurina Tree's , White Sand and death in wait !

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 25
  • Liked: 29
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Ever changing
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 10:21:56 AM »
Great report Greenfish - how's the arrogance of these non-flyfishers just a bit worried about being outfished I reckon  :o ::) The north really is a dog eat dog enviroment where you wouldn't want to be a baitfish. Cheers Pat ::)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 05:45:39 PM »
Great report Greenfish - how's the arrogance of these non-flyfishers just a bit worried about being outfished I reckon  :o ::) The north really is a dog eat dog enviroment where you wouldn't want to be a baitfish. Cheers Pat ::)
Pat , their arrogance could not be believed , Toga hitting any thing on the surface , ( along with a barra or three , ) crying out for a surface fly but  being out voted we had to chuck fizzers and poppers , was still fun but going to get my fly fishing fix as Cod season opens real soon and there will be no dedicated lure chuckers about , also hoping to join Singleton Fly Club for a weekend on Windamere  Dam , come on Summer !

Nother sunrise , nother Goose Creek Toga