Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report. October Long Weekend Fishing Report!  (Read 4982 times)

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Jindabyne
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report. October Long Weekend Fishing Report!
Rivers open for fishing Saturday 4th October
By Steve Williamson. –
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Adventures.
0408 024436 Shop -02 64561551

NEWS –
The last few days the weather has been perfect and the fishing has been great on Lake Jindabyne but we are anxiously awaiting the opening of the rivers once again next Saturday.
Inspecting the Thredbo River yesterday it was running quite quickly with the warmer temperatures and the snow melt and a little difficult to see just how many fish were there waiting to be caught.
My feeling is that the conditions over the last month have been perfect for the spawning trout and there may not be a lot left in the river but that does not mean that there will be fish to be caught, just not thousands!
Also the weather for next weekend is predicted to be perfect with days up to 23 or 24 degrees and of course sunny so that might mean spooky trout in the river also.
While I do not want to put a damper on the river fishing, the trout will be there and I would say sitting in their normal haunts and those anglers with flies and lures that can get deep enough in the faster water will catch their share of trout.
I can also say that that lake fishing is fantastic and is well worth a cast. I think recent pictures tell the story and if you haven’t been following us on Facebook there is plenty to see.
Thredbo River 15th September 2014
Let’s have a look at what the fishing is going to be like over the next couple of weeks.

LAKE LEVEL and TEMPERATURE
While the lake level has been reasonable steady over the last week we do have a small 8 hour water release this week and I would say that given the amount of snow melt the water release will not have a very big effect on the level which is currently a bit above 80%. Water temperatures on the lake are rising slowly also with the warmer days and sits at about 12 degrees C which should bring on the rainbows.
Best methods to catch a trout.
Best method – Trolling as really picked up last week but some big browns are still coming in on bait.
Best lake lure –Pink Rapala and spotted dog Rapalas are still catching the bigger browns but the frog pattern Tassies are doing well on the rainbows.
Best lake area – Creel Bay, Hatchery Bay and Lion and Cub Islands.
Best fly method lake – Hamills Killer, Black Woolly Bugger and Williamson’s Goldfish.
Best River Fly Fishing– Black or brown weighted nymphs and glowbugs.
Best River Lures – Deeper diving minnows as you need to get down deep.
Let’s have a look at what the fishing is going to be like over the next few weeks.

Trolling.
The surface trolling has picked up and the fish are hanging around the edges.
If trolling, start the day with a surface line out and at least 50 metres drop back, the more the better on still sunny days. Stay close to the shore and target rocky points and other snags like the many trees in the water at the moment.
Try lead line at 2 to 3 colours. (20 to 30 metres of line out) later in the day or on still days.
Best colour Tassies have been green and gold yellowing type Tassies at the moment, maybe Y82, Holographic or Brown Bomber as well. Pink Rapalas and spotted dog pattern have still been very successful.
Little bit of downrigging at 20 feet on the bright sunny days. Use longer dropbacks for best results.

Lake Bait Fishing
(Primarily most rivers and streams in the Snowy Mountains Region are fly and lure only, We recommend that you first check with the Department of Industry and Investment NSW (NSW Fishing rules) as to which rivers in the area you can legally bait fish in. IF IN DOUBT DON’T BAIT FISH in the RIVERS!)
Shore based bait fishing continues to be good with local Scrubbies, and artificial baits the best.
The Claypits, Hatchery Bay, Town Centre near front of Banjo Patterson Park and The Snowy Arm are better spots.

Lake Spinning
No change in the lure spinning. Same lures are still working but like the trolling most lures will work ok if you’re in the right place for an aggressive trout. Blades in gold have been doing well at the moment. Try a Strike Pro Cyber Vibe 50 or a TT Switchblade Sunset Gold.
The Tasmanian Devil Holographic, Pink, orange, Y82 and Y48 have all been good and so is the Holographic.
Minnow lures like floating Rapalas, (especially jointed Rapalas), Stumpjumpers and other minnow style lure in either natural rainbow trout and brown trout patterns or gold colours to represent the Jindabyne goldfish that the trout love to chase and eat.
Don’t stay in one place too long and only put in a couple of casts in each area.
Shallow areas try Gillies Feathertails and Tailwalkers which are new products worth a look.
Some new lures to try in the dark are the new glow Blue Fox Vibrax spinners. Charge them up with a torch or camera flash and watching them spin through the water is incredible, trout are very inquisitive and often hit the lure hard.
Call into my shop and I will show you some of the better soft plastics that we are having great success on over the last week. The ‘Spotted Brew’ Strike Tiger has especially been good over the last week.

Spinning and Fly fishing Rivers and Streams
They will be lining up on the Thredbo from early Saturday so we will have results next week.

Fly Fishing Lake
Look for the fish before casting and you can either try a small nymph and an indicator and fish very slow or if the fish is a little more active a faster stripped black or olive Woolley Bugger, a Craig’s Night time or a Williamson’s Goldfish will be worth using.
The shallow bays on the lake are worth a try but you have to be very quite and not too many casts in one spot so as not to spook the trout.
Have you any photos that you can e-mail me?
I can use the information to add into my own reports and your photo might not only end up in my report but might also go into a draw for the best fish of the month which will win you a $50 Tassie Devil Tackle Pack.
For more information on the latest fishing conditions, please call into –
STEVE WILLIAMSON’S TACKLE SHOP
Shop 1 Snowline Centre, Kosciuszko Road Jindabyne 2627
Fishing Charters – Bait and Tackle Supplies- Marine Supplies
P.M.B. 5 Jindabyne NSW 2627 E-mail swtrout@airlan.com.au swtroutfishing.com.au Shop – (02) 64 561551

Attached pictures
1- 3. Ellis Murphy big Atlantic salmon and son Jye with a couple of great brown trout
4 - Oliver Shvetsoff with a nice brown
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Just spent 9 days at Jindy staying at Snowline - was in Steve's business every day for a yarn and some great advice - even invested in a pair of planing boards which were excellent  :youbeauty

Once we got the 'lay of the lake' the results were solid on a combination of downriggers and outriggers - can't wait to go back down.

Cheers

Rob