Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Qld Wild Rivers where do rec fishers stand?  (Read 6689 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 177
  • Liked: 35
  • Fishin more a religion than a pastime!
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Barratta Ck, Burdekin North Queensland
Qld Wild Rivers where do rec fishers stand?
« on: November 17, 2011, 12:47:11 PM »
Cambell Newman has been making it known that if (when?) the LNP win power in Qld that the Wild Rivers legislation is going to be repealed or at least wound back.  I know there has been a lot of misiformation about Wild Rivers legislation how it represents a big lock out etc, but personally I've always been a fan of Wild Rivers legislation as it keeps intensive development (mining, irrigated agriculture) out of some of the State's undeveloped river corridors  - but doesn't prohibit rec fishing or camping - to me thats a plus as it ensures that the next time you go back to the Gregory or the Wenlock etc they won't be stuffed by inappropriate development. I'm not saying I don't have any cynism anout the way the Govt implemented Wild Rivers  - i.e. their focus on Cape York and the Gulf instead of the east coast where we really need river protection, and their consultation hasn't always been the best, but at the end o fteh day you 'don't know what you've got till its gone..."

Even if your politics is on the conservative side, I think it would be good to let your NLP cadidates know that Wild Rivers is sometghiong that Qld should be hanging on to !

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/newman-to-open-wild-rivers-to-mining/story-e6freoof-1226186303639

Stick to fishing instead of fighting - JC

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
Re: Qld Wild Rivers where do rec fishers stand?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 08:51:57 PM »
Jim, I don't profess to know a whole lot about the Wild Rivers legislation, but from where I sit it seems the implementation was excessivly heavy handed. There was little apparent consultation with stakeholders including the indigeonous folk, and a number of viable cattle operations were unneccesarily dispupted. I always believe that conservation without consultation is just a lockout by any other name. However it seems to be a bit of a habit with Labor lately. They are so eager to please the Greens they'll jump into bed with the devil if they get to stay in power. By the way that does NOT colour me conservative. I'm just a great believer in true democracy and the careful consideration of all matters involving vested interests.
Anyone remember the Cotton on Cooper Creek fiasco?? This stuff doesn't go away. Pollies may go into the job feeling all cosy, but along the way the party line always intrudes. Cynical? most definately.
John

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 09:16:36 PM »
Hear what your saying John, but its good to check the pulse of those out in the bush rather than just what the papers or pollies tell us they're saying - I know your familiar with the southern Gulf as I am too, family having spent a lot of years up there - well there is Wild Rivers declared on the Gregory and the Settlement Creeks and the indigenous mob up there aren't complaining quite the opposite they're running with it and supporting it for how it looks after country and work opportunities (rangers) its giving them, most of the cattlemen got no complaints, except for some that were planning major irrigation and fodder cropping on the Gregory - and there are not too many got sympathy for their lost opportunity considering how special the Gregory is.  With regard to teh Cooper, it is a current wild river monination and if it gets up, will shut down the prospect of cotton ever getting going there - to me a good thing - unless someone comes along and revokes the legislation which is what the NLP are proposing to do. BTW - the legislation as it stands protects all existing rights i.e. cattle access to frontage country and water extraction/riparian rights that already exist - so it doesn't really threaten the viability of cattle operations unless they're looking at going into major land use intensification - and thats exactly what the legislation is desighned to prevent - to keep rivers wild ! - Jim

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 09:54:11 PM »
In my opinion "wild river" legislation is just another green nail in the  coffin holding Australia.

If you want it protected, turn it in to national park and manage it properly.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 10:12:21 PM »
In my opinion "wild river" legislation is just another green nail in the  coffin holding Australia.

If you want it protected, turn it in to national park and manage it properly.

Why is it a nail in the coffin? What does it actually do that 'puts Australia in a coffin' (sic)

National Parks are more restrictive than Wild Rivers, and in Qld can prevent fishing where the watercourse is included in teh National Park - why would we as rec fishers want that? I can still go fishing and camping, even shooting (where you know the landholder) in a Wild River but know that it wont be dammed, mined, cleared etc - isn't that a good thing?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 06:04:39 AM »
No, you said it yourself, it allows continued degradation of the given river by cattle etc.
If it needs protecting do it properly. Otherwise leave it be. Just another example of value of land being eroded by removal of owners rights.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 07:02:16 AM »
Maybe we need some of this in NSW. Thjere are still rumblings from the direction of Coffs Harbour to dam the Clarence. They actually got started on it once many years back but it was abandoned. As for the Cooper, while I was working as a freelance photo journo I got right on the side of the cattleman along the Cooper. Cotton would have ruined the flourishing Organic beef industry and put paid to much of the tourism. People won't come to an area to look at a polluted sewer. The Gregory is a beatiful stream I've had some memorable camps along it's banks and the Robinson one of its tributaries. God forbid that large scale cropping ever got going there.
Cattle do degrade riparian vegetation and banks of streams but to exclude them from that water is tantamount to destrying the cattle industry. Like I say, conservation WITH consultation.
John

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 10:14:57 AM »
No, you said it yourself, it allows continued degradation of the given river by cattle etc.
If it needs protecting do it properly. Otherwise leave it be. Just another example of value of land being eroded by removal of owners rights.

Low density grazing typical of Australia's seasonal dry tropics isn't benign but it certainly don't stuff river values as much as open cut mining, damming or intensive irrigtated cropping.. - so what owner rights are you so concerned about being removed Binder? You youself sound as though you want to pull frontage grazing off them, Wild Rivers legislation doesn't even do that - it does however dtop more intensive forms of development from a small number of Qld Rivers that have been judged to have exceptional wild values - and the problem with that is...?? ???

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Hull River NP, Far North Queensland
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 11:52:22 AM »
I'd like to correct one view of "landholder's rights". Rights are not affected in any way by the Wild Rivers Act. The Act only applies to situations where you have to make a Development Application, and as the name implies, that is an application for permission to do something which you are not entitled to do as of right.

For example if you want to build a house, everyone has to make a Development Application, so that the Council can make sure it is properly built, isn't in a silly flood-prone spot, takes into account Acid Sulphate Soils, and so on.

The Application Form leads you through about 20 such things, which mostly wouldn't apply. But if the answer to the question "Is the land protected by a Wild Rivers Declaration?" is YES, then you have to answer some more questions. This allows the Council to make sure that if you are proposing to build a house near a wild river, that you don't have the septic tank feeding directly into the creek, or something equally stupid.

For the vast majority of applications, this won't be a problem at all.  But if you are proposing a strip-mining project for bauxite, which involves uprooting the vegetation, shifting the top-soil aside, removing the bauxite, putting the top-soil back and re-vegetating, then the Act is going to limit where and how you do it.

The Cape Alumina project on the Wenlock was told it couldn't go within 500 metres of the river/tributaries instead of 200 metres as they had proposed. They kicked up a big fuss about that, but they decided to keep the leases and continue working on other environmental paperwork. The fact of the matter is that it was the economics of the project that was the problem, as a similar strip-mining project on the Watson-Archer (Chalco) was exempted from Wild Rivers Act, and yet Chalco dropped it for economic reasons.

Wild Rivers is good for recreational fishers and the LNP's proposal to wind it back would be a tragedy.

Offline Member

• Store Customer
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 16
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 09:04:10 PM »
With you all the way Jim
Wild Rivers was initially put in place to prevent any more '"Cubbie"" station type developments.
 Properly managed, it will keep more fragile systems safe

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 06:41:47 PM »
I wonder what it would do to the under the table deal made with our Qld. state gubberment to allow the Coal Seam Gas people to discharge water into the Condamine that shouldn't be.  It is OK for human consumption, but not OK for the fish that live there but they keep pumping it into the river.  I wonder if anyone will be taken to task for this.  I doubt it.  I can see another coverup coming.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 07:23:44 PM »
More cover ups than a fire in a nudist colony Dale