Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Poll

Should Lake Kurwongbah be open to......

Kayaks and canoes should be allowed on there
22 (50%)
Keep it for the water skiers only (current status) with shoreline fishing only
2 (4.5%)
Open it to general public with any power boat
3 (6.8%)
Open it to general public with electric power only
9 (20.5%)
Close it up to all access
1 (2.3%)
Kayak and canoe only. Remove the water skiers monopoly
3 (6.8%)
Other - I will post a reply
4 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Lake Kurwongbah access - POLL  (Read 37877 times)

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 369
  • Liked: 70
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Lake Kurwongbah access - POLL
« on: October 06, 2010, 01:38:22 AM »
What do you thing should happen with regard to public access to Lake Kurwongbah at Petrie?

You can select upto 2 options to get the best outcome for your preference.

Sweetwater Fishing Home http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
Re: Lake Kurwongbah access - POLL
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 04:12:53 AM »
The only way I would support any extension to the current access is if the lake were to become part of the SIPS scheme.
I believe that the lake was stocked as a joint venture by the Moreton Regional council and the PRFMA and the original vision was for it to be a shore based fishery with open fishing access (free) to the general public.
 The council and Prfma only have limited funds to continue stocking and additional funding would be required if a lot of additional fishing pressure was put onto the lake.
Possibly a cap on the number of users that are on the lake at any one time similar to Baroon pocket would have to exist.
Maybe a boating access charge?
The water skiers have a lease on a large area of land and it would be unfair to just chuck them off but there would have to be seperate areas designated for the skiers and the other recreational users.
There is also the existing rowing club to consider.
Just a few things to think about.
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 04:25:28 AM »
Be interesting to see SEQ's response to the discovery of Cabomba weed on the lake, they have closed boating access to some lakes in the past with the weed present, but continued to allow access to others.

As stated elsewhere, I reckon the go is to open up the bottom end of North Pine Dam to the public for canoe / yak access. The dams are virtually a stones throw apart - Kurwongbah is to small to take on much water traffic, and has pre existing users with a long history that would not blend well with general public access.

Lovely looking dam for lure casting though!

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 07:32:20 AM »
I believe that the lake was stocked as a joint venture by the Moreton Regional council and the PRFMA and the original vision was for it to be a shore based fishery with open fishing access (free) to the general public.
Cheers
Ray
G'Day Ray,

I wrote the original management plan for Kurowngbah & took it to PRFMA for consideration as I was going to start a 2nd stocking group if they again decided not to stock Kurwongbah. (luckily the was a more moderated group there on the night)

The local council was required as a signatory being the land owner at the lake, but that was as far as their involvement was required to get the stocking program running. If they engage further after the fact, then that's great.

The vision I had in mind when working towards getting a Rec Fishery at Kurwongbah was to see some access for paddlecraft. While access & a Fishery Management Plan are not symbiotic, they can & do reflect/impact on the other & should be considered.

Joining the SIP in the future is quite an easy process if that's what the management group wishes. Takes 2 years (roughly) from application to getting funds through the pipeline.

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 29
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 07:37:29 AM »
G'day

I see no reason to stop the skiers at all.  Shore based fishing with in the dam for the plastic/wood/feather chuckers is difficult however due to the weed infestation on the banks adjoining Torrens Rd, Petrie.  I agree that it needs to be run under the SIP scheme and understand resources may well already be thin in relation to volunteers and stocking.  I do however see value in allowing others access to the lake as an alternative to NPD. 

Regards
Colin

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the fish are
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 03:58:59 PM »
Fishing:  Kurwongbah needs more time to be established. 

Boating access:  Try to find a happy medium between the existing groups that use it and the canoe/kayaks/electrics.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 04:43:43 PM »
Historical users need to be considered, I think the skiers have been there for approx 50 years and the rowers have been there for a long time too, the challenge from the start has been to find a way for everyone to co-exist peacefully and safely. That said it still looks like a great place to paddle a yak. Unfortunately the biggest hurdle for access and long term usage at the moment is the damn cabomba weed, when I found the first plant, my heart sunk at a million miles an hour, I was hoping that I screwed up the ID and that the rangers would get a good laugh at my expense, but no such luck.

As to putting a SIP scheme in place, this would be a waste in my opinion. Not only does it place up a barrier to families and the once or twice year fishos, it would also reduce the overall funding that exists for Lake Kurwongbah.

Councillor Dwyer and Mayor Sutherland have committed funds for the next 5 years to increase stocking levels for the lake to benefit residents and visitors to the region, part of the discussions I had to achieve this funding related to barriers to usage not being employed whilst rate payers money makes up roughly 2/3's of stocking funds.

The rest of the funds come from Deedi, rec fishery enhancement program, when combined with council funding the local fish stocking group has the ability to stock at around 80% of maximum allowable capacity. SIP funding would at best produce only a quarter of the current funding and cause the loss Deedi funding and quite probably council funds as well.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 05:02:52 PM »
Cabomba being present is will make electric motors are hard case to get over the line, but while noise boats still run props there's some grounds for being persuant.

In reality, I recon a kayak or two having a quiet paddle or flicking a lure does little or no harm to anyone; and I feel that most agencies would be of a similar oppinion. IMHO a gently gently approach in the first instance is best, then keep a simple but to the point approach (not waffling on with bullshit) is probably a better way to respond when the opportunity for input is there.

One thing is that with a consultation process, anyone who gives a rat's clanger can & often does get their "thing" some attention. That's can be better or worse for those not of the same oppinion.

The trick is knowing that one vote, in some cases does not always equal another. Sell your "thing" to the right person & it can make all the difference. Likewise, annoy the wrong person & you're up a certain creek.

Then you can get false representation as was evident in the Wyralong Dam Fishing Fiasco.

Agree with SD on the funding for Kurowngbah. The SIP process is easy to do & that is a decision that needs to be made by the man committee (PRFMA) to apply. Presently the Fisheries have some coin to splash around each year, Kurwongbah should be a coupla grand for fish each year. BUT the DEEDI dudget could change tomorrow, same with council. Long term (as in 5+ years) there is no gurantee of funding.

But lets keep this in persective, we're talking about Kurwongbah. Its an up & down, small fishery. Some would describe it as having marginal long term prospects for a good fishery due to high frequency of low water events. Its never going to be a Lake Mulwala, a Somerset, a 'Juck or an Awoonga. If the odd local kid can go catch a fish avery now & then, then I'll be happy how it all turned out.  :youbeauty

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 29
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 05:04:23 PM »
Shayned,

Thanks for the info  :thanks  I obviously was not aware of the current arrangements in relation to funding for stocking etc.  Sorry to read about the Cabomba weed infestation  :thumbdown I am guessing it is going to be a difficult thing to get rid of.  Have I interpreted it correctly by thinking that "no usage being employed" meaning no access to other recreational craft other than those already approved?  I understand and respect that fact if thats a part of the funding arrangements.  I am happy to see the casual shore based anglers given free access to the lake so maybe a Boating Access Scheme would be better suited in this instance.  I guess there is a lot of factors to take in when these decisions are made and there a people better educated than I who make them.  Maybe I can convince one of the ski boats that he needs to test out my new 3" bibbed ski which works best when run at a couple of knots  :P

Regards and Thanks
Colin

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 05:18:20 PM »
Never say never, one day SIPS may be the only option, but it is a tiny pond with a massive population just a short drive away so hopefully a larger source of funds remains available into the future so the lake has a chance to be a good fishery.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 144
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 08:40:27 AM »
It will def need ongoing funds as the yellow rain coat brigade has already got it sussed,20lt buckets,6rods each etc etc had a quick look out that way this morning,could not believe the amount of rubbish already building up and all from fisherpeople, plastic bait bags,drink bottles, lure pkts line line line and  more line,w hen will some people wake up and look after these areas instead of destroying them.
Dino

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
Shayne thanks for clearing up the funding status I had a vague idea how it worked but I tend to nod off and miss things at meetings.
Taking into consideration the Councils vision and the existance of cabomba and the availability of other waters maybe things should be left alone.
One thing that would be good to see would be an increased presence of rangers and DPI inspectors to try and control the irresponsible people who are abusing the lake and its surrounds.There was 2 groups or people there today antd they were not the yellow raincoat brigade.
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 06:36:22 PM »
Hmmm, I wear a yellow rain coat when it's raining so I gather I'm not welcome there.

Many of the Asian community have been fishing Kurwongbah for a long time.  Longer than the access scheme to NPD, and much longer than the current Kurwongbah stocking effort.  They have actively targeted Tilapia for the table, knowing that there was no bag limit, and they were considered by Aussies to be a pest.  In their native lands these were considered good eating, and most still prefer them to Bass.  I wonder if there is any signage up telling them of the size and bag limits for Bass.  I'm also well acquainted with many people of Asian descent who are true sports fishermen, and enjoy the catch and release philosophy as much as we do and wear yellow raincoats if it's raining.  Education, not accusation, is the key to a successful program

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 07:13:49 PM »
Dale, I designed signage and found the $2200 to produce and erect them at public access areas over two years ago. Skin colour does not define peoples approach to fishing but the groups being to referred to have to walk past a 2400 x 1200 sign to commence fishing. A few more fines would suit me. Talking appears not to be working and I mean this for every person who isn't doing the right thing.

Just quietly, they are bloody nice signs!!

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 07:47:47 PM »
If you ever want use up a month and a half of your spare time (and then some), try negotiating a concensus between multiple departmental areas in 3 levels of government for the content and design of signage on public land.  ::)

The signs have an overview of the history and contribution of the lake to local development, photos and descriptions of fish species found in the lake, an impassioned plea to look after the place and a large warning that size and bag limits apply, along with how to check them. The advice given at the time is that these parameters change over time and that by putting up info which is used and out of date we could end up in trouble down the track.