Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)
Currently:
  • Qld Severn River quick trip 5 1

Author Topic: Qld Severn River quick trip  (Read 16890 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 38
  • Liked: 10
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Condamine River/Severn River
Qld Severn River quick trip
« on: January 05, 2015, 12:05:41 PM »
Went and checked out a new spot on the queensland Severn River on the 3/1/15 and within 10 minutes had this nice fatty smash my Loddon spinnerbait. Good to see him feeding well with the massive run of the Severn.

PB's: Murray Cod- 83cm
Yellabelly - 53cm

My fishing adventures youtube channel from around S.E Qld/Northern NSW
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzvYTt ... QFQ/videos

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
Re: Qld Severn River quick trip
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 01:25:58 PM »
Well done guys, nice to see a good flow over the falls for a change. Did you explore much further down stream?

Cheers Andrew

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 01:40:58 PM »
Well done guys, nice to see a good flow over the falls for a change. Did you explore much further down stream?

Cheers Andrew

First time there for us. I was expecting maybe a little flow. Nothing like that but! Was amazing. Nah we explored upstream about 300m from the top waterfall but then a strorm rolled in so we hightailed it out of there.

Heading back down Wednesday to camp the night and explore downstream.

Cheers

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 02:35:20 PM »
Some nice water heading down stream from there. The falls have always been an impediment for fish heading upstream, so luckily no carp that I know of exist above there. My Great Grandfather & Grandfather were foundation members of the Ballandean stocking group who were responsible for introducing a lot of cod to the system above the falls. There were no hatcheries around then so all the stocking was carried out by catching brood stock from below the falls & moving them upstream. Apparently they imposed an eight year restriction on fishing the area after stocking & I remember my Grandfather telling me stories about cod with there tails hanging out of sugar bags. There was a lot of exploitation in the years to follow, good to see the current stocking group keeping up the good work.

Cheers Andrew

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 06:08:36 PM »
Some nice water heading down stream from there. The falls have always been an impediment for fish heading upstream, so luckily no carp that I know of exist above there. My Great Grandfather & Grandfather were foundation members of the Ballandean stocking group who were responsible for introducing a lot of cod to the system above the falls. There were no hatcheries around then so all the stocking was carried out by catching brood stock from below the falls & moving them upstream. Apparently they imposed an eight year restriction on fishing the area after stocking & I remember my Grandfather telling me stories about cod with there tails hanging out of sugar bags. There was a lot of exploitation in the years to follow, good to see the current stocking group keeping up the good work.

Cheers Andrew

Interesting story andrew thanks! We have done a couple of trips into the 4wd section of Sundown and have had some awsome sessions, biggest fish we have caught but is 60cm. Not sure if Sundown holds big cod anymore or not?

Still awsome to see the river system so healthy. Even when it drys up the holes that stay always have healthy looking cod in them

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River, Stanthorpe
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 08:32:33 PM »

Cheers Andrew

Unfortunately plenty of small carp in Quart Pot last time I was home for a look. Couldn't catch any for a positve ID though. I would say they all came out of stock dams on the eastern side of town during 2011.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 14
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 09:36:25 PM »
Nice one Stutz.  :thumbsup

I went there this afternoon. The water level and flow has dropped a bit now. It's a beautiful spot. I'm keen to have another look there and explore a bit further.

I got a couple of taps on a spinnnerbait early on. One my way back I hooked and dropped a fish in the next pool down.

I was surprised to see 7 others fishing there on my way back.

The climb out gets the heart pumping!!

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 01:15:23 AM »
Nice one Stutz.  :thumbsup

I went there this afternoon. The water level and flow has dropped a bit now. It's a beautiful spot. I'm keen to have another look there and explore a bit further.

I got a couple of taps on a spinnnerbait early on. One my way back I hooked and dropped a fish in the next pool down.

I was surprised to see 7 others fishing there on my way back.

The climb out gets the heart pumping!!

Yeah mate, we ended up back down there on saturday for a over nighter, should try doing that climb at 11 oclock at night. its a tad bit harder :P

We ended up with 6 cod for the weekend, biggest being a 54cm. Might do up a report in a couple of days.

While we were down there, their was also about 8-10 other people fishing. they didnt seem to have as much luck as us but as they were fishing bait/ or just throwing lures into the middle of pools, not really targeting sections of water.

One of the familes I was talking too said that he keeps any legal size cod he catches out of there. Which i was a bit disappointed at. Don't mind people keeping fish for a feed. but in a place like that were its been fished a heap and a cod over 60cm down there is super rare, made me sad.

We've pulled about 25 cod out of sections of the park now and biggest has been just on 60cm. I'm really beginning to think their is no biggies left in there. Im really tempted to do a hike in to get to the pools halfway between the falls and burrows waterhole. I think they would have to be rarely fished.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Anywhere the Cod are
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 04:54:10 PM »
Hi Stutz,
What brand of spinnerbait were you using there?
Thx
Rod.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 04:59:11 PM »
Hi Stutz,
What brand of spinnerbait were you using there?
Thx
Rod.

Loddon Lure spinnerbait mate. First time using them. Nice and cheap and seem alright. Just not sure how they will shape up to decent size cod, as they seem a bit weak in the wiring. Have had a couple just straighten a bit from snags and such. Only time will tell I guess