Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Fisheries Contact Number?  (Read 14999 times)

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Fresh water
Fisheries Contact Number?
« on: November 21, 2012, 08:38:40 AM »
Anyone have the direct number for the fisheries officer that would look after the top of the Brisbane River?
I spent 40 minutes on the phone yesterday morning trying to report 6 guys who were fishing with live shrimp and kept everything they caught. I counted 17 Bass and 2 Cat Fish, at least 2 were over 50cm.
I was absolutely gutted watching. I had a chat and it was all smiles until I mentioned if they did know the rules but then the got the standard – me speech no English.
I never ended up speaking to anyone that could help me, very frustrating.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: Fisheries Contact Number?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 09:39:02 AM »
The Fisheries Hotline is 1800017116.  It should be manned 24/7.

As for a Fisheries Officer that looks after the top of the Brisbane River, he'd be the same one who does from the border to about Bundy and out west. 
They're pretty thin on the ground.

A rego number of either a car or a boat is a pretty good thing to have, as a Fisheries Officer could be hours away.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 89
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: water
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 10:00:55 AM »
I also heard local police can enforce these laws, if you can get them interested

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 11:24:09 AM »
Always worth calling the Fishwatch number all calls are logged, give as much detail as you can.
Rego number is most important.
Mid Brisbane will come from Pinkenbah if not already in the field, Pinkenbah number office hours only 38603502.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 02:27:50 PM »
I called the fisheries hotline. I did get a lady but she couldn't help, so she transferred me to someone in Qld but that number kept dropping out?

I have rang the Pinkenba office and they are getting someone to call me back today. 

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 09:16:58 AM »
Well I had someone (District Mgr) give me a call yesterday. He was really helpful and gave me his direct number.
He asked all the normal questions. He said they have had been targeting the general area in recent times and handed out 4 infringements on the weekend down at Mt Crosby.
I also gave him another spot where they hadn't heard of that they should put on the list of places to visit.
What I did find interesting was he said they believe that the these guys use social media (sites like this) to find the hot spots. I have said it before, but I don’t think people should name specific places on fishing forums. Nothing wrong with putting up a post with pictures and naming the river even, but I don’t think directions should be given the exact place (just my thought)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 09:45:29 AM »
That's not how we work on Sweetwater.  Do you think if they stopped putting the addresses of Banks in the phone book, bank robbers would stop robbing them?

Did you drop in to the Fernvale info centre and ask them about this?  There was a person who did this week, they contacted the Mayor who told them to contact both Lowood Police and Gary Fitzgerald.  I'd rather have the Lowood coppers after me than Fitzy.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 09:48:48 AM »

Did you drop in to the Fernvale info centre and ask them about this?  There was a person who did this week, they contacted the Mayor who told them to contact both Lowood Police and Gary Fitzgerald.  I'd rather have the Lowood coppers after me than Fitzy.

No wasn't me?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 11:16:20 AM »
OK, someone else saw people keeping all sorts of fish, including Qld Lungfish, and reported it.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 11:27:20 AM »
A couple of fish aren't worth a knife up the ribs. Confronting an offender is not advised....

I'm happy to continue to promote freshwater fishing in Oz, the main thing people want to know is WHERE they can go fishing. If the correct information is readily available, then people go to the right places and it helps stopp illegal access and potentially dangerous locations.

If the rat bag fishos are smart enough to jump on sweetwater to find a fishing spot, surely our highly edumicated enforcement folks with their university degrees can do the same??

Secret squirrel fishing is anti-social and creates jealousy and classes in what is the worlds oldest sport. Shame on those who think they own the rights to fish a spot but aren't prepared to share it with others who have the same rights to to spot X as the next bloke.

Illegal activities are an enforcement issue. There's illegal things happening everywhere. A comment like that from a govt employee is like the minister for police asking Garmin to not show all roads on their GPS units in case someone might speed on that road. A very lazy & piss poor response IMHO. I'd like to know the officers name who said this & then have a chat to his boss about it.  :walkplank  I think I'm pretty safe in assuming (after a comment like the one quoted) that the officer mentioned is either too lazy or too dumb to ever read this thread because social media is obviously below their abilities........

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 11:28:26 AM »
Easiest way is to call local police, tell them you think you saw them with a shot gun. See what response you get then............

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 12:17:11 PM »
"Do you think if they stopped putting the addresses of Banks in the phone book, bank robbers would stop robbing them?" - Lol

"If the correct information is readily available, then people go to the right places and it helps stopp illegal access and potentially dangerous locations." - very good and a fair comment

"A comment like that from a govt employee is like the minister for police asking Garmin to not show all roads on their GPS units in case someone might speed on that road. A very lazy & piss poor" - What's wrong with the comment? He said they use social media to find the best spots.  Doesn't every one use the computer to find things now days?? I personally think (i know you guys don't) if people are keen they will find the good places to fish all by them selves, Imo it just makes it too easy for the wrong sort of people to find them also.

I think this has gone too far with the comments. I originally asked for a contact number, for I saw people doing the wrong thing. I got help with a number. I then spoke to the fisheries, the guy as very helpful and had some good comments and thoughts. I then posted that I think we should be careful what we post because you never know who reads these sites (they might have bad intentions) The next thing is people are saying the fisheries are  "very lazy & piss poor" "too lazy or too dumb" where do you get the right to say this?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 12:54:20 PM »
Sweetwater has probably done more for Freshwater Fishing in South East Queensland over the last 10 to 15 years than any other person.  He's been President and Secretary of Somerset Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association, he's a life member of the same.  He was an invited member of the Fresh Water Management Advisory Committee, he's worked very closely with DPI & F, or DAFF.  He reports on two weekly radio programs, he is pretty much responsible for any Saratoga you may catch in Somerset, Wivenhoe or the Brisbane River.  He has probably raised more money for fish stocking than any other individual, anywhere in the country.  (I could go on, but his head will be swelling)  He has earned the right to call a Fisheries officer "very lazy & piss poor" for as long as Fisheries officers give bullshit excuses about why they can't do their job, and why it's too hard to track down illegal fishos.  Surely if you gave them a rego number they could track the vehicle to an offender and find the evidence.  When the Mayor of Somerset region is asked about illegal fishing, and what should be done, he refers the people to Sweetwater.  That should tell you something about him.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 02:58:52 PM »
The next thing is people are saying the fisheries are  "very lazy & piss poor" "too lazy or too dumb" where do you get the right to say this?
Where do I get the right?

Being a stakeholder in the fishery that is meant to be "managed" by the state govt. quoted comments from a govt employee (if correct), in this case the enforcement wing ie B&FP, is totally piss poor when a report of illegal activity is being made. Pushing blame onto Social media sites instead of taking ownership or a lead role of the issue is exactly as I said.
Happy to say it here or in person to anyone who thinks the govt employee was correct in deflecting blame rather than acting on the complaint. I'll say it again, that is piss poor in my opinion. Could rattle off a whole list of adjectives but I think it's been covered adequately above.
Whether it is policy, resources or individuals, Sweetwater fisheries in QLD have been the poorer cousin for a long time.

At days end, it's the action that was taken to the complaint that is the important factor. And that has been?

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 08:54:22 AM »
You took the last post away?
I think you asked what has the action been, and you hold your comments.
Sorry but I don’t know what the action has been. The guy I spoke with did say they are targeting this area at the moment so hopefully they have been patrolling regularly.
I have been there twice since and haven’t seen anyone, I didn't go to the regular access points though.

You mentioned they are pushing blame to sites like this. I never said fisheries are pushing the blame, they just made a simple comment that the offenders might use the net to gain information. I'm probably the one blaming this site because I don’t think you should name direct spots. But I don’t want to start all that again (remember this is a forum so people are allowed to have an opinion, mine unfortunately goes against this sites policy)