Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Townsville Region Fishing Report - 8 May 2014  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Townsville Region Fishing Report - 8 May 2014
« on: May 08, 2014, 09:19:08 PM »
Townville Regional Fishing Report - 8 May 2014

Monday and Tuesday were terrific fishing wise around Townsville, and even though I wasn't here on the Monday I had a few mates ring me to tell me what had been happening. Land based Doddies have been providing plenty of action from the breakwalls, and the Barra have been holding in huge shallows as the tide has been dropping. Off the beach at Rowes bay the big Goldens could be seen carving up the flats, along with Tarpon and the odd GT. I went for a flick yesterday and only landed a few small Barra around 56 to 58 cm but there were some nice fish of around 85 plus having swipes at the lure but not connecting. The Atomic Prong got a decent result and with the Jelly Prawns around like they are along the rocks, it's no wonder. Water clarity has been great and the fluff chuckers, (fly fishers) should have a ball if it stays like this.
Walking along one of the break walls yesterday there were schools of really big Goldens and GT 's cruising the edge, but I only got one bight and it didn't connect.

Doggie Mackeral have been about in good numbers though in close, and talking to one of the anglers at the rock pool told me of the Doggies he had been getting off the wall there over the last couple of days. Just the other day Terry was out chasing Grunter and got a nice bag of Doggies to boot. I'm not a really of a fan of doggies on the plate, but hey tell me that they are as good as fish get to put in a smoker, due to the oil content in the flesh.
 There have been a couple of reports about the Mack's offshore, and again the majority are down deep with the odd fish on top, so jigs etc at the ready would be a smart thing to do when in places like Bunnings and Bomber.

There are still good Barra getting around in the rivers and the upper reaches are starting producing plenty of smaller fish, but the big girls have been moving further up the system as one of our regulars found the other day. Side scan technology has just revolutionised the recreational anglers opportunities on water, and first trip out one of my mates and was up a river the other day and found a school of over 30 big Barra. He hooked  a monster from the school but dropped it after a couple of minutes. The interesting thing is that the fish were holding on  a random corner that had like a shallow subsurface drain that would only be picked up as a divet on the bottom with traditional Sounders. He said himself he would never have found it without his Hummingbird.if you are interested in checking out the range we have the Hummingbirds in store at the moment and some great savings to boot.

Jacks are still around in good numbers but the size isn't really much to write home about with most between 33cm and 38cm being the majority. Barra live baiters are taking some big fish at present but I have been sworn to secrecy by the guys who are catching them on a consistent basis. All I'm allowed to say is if your looking for the same results as these guys you won't have to travel too far from the centre of town, but be sure to turn your head lights on.
 I have been away doing demos at the Boyne Tannum Hookup for the last few days so I haven't been around with my ear to the ground to get the good oil, but will update this as soon as I'm back on the floor Wednesday.

There have also been a. Couple of Billfish encounters recently so who knows what the change of season will bring over the next few weeks, but what ever it is you choose  to chase, stay safe and good luck.

Cheers from Hodgie and the Akwa Team.
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

Hodgie