Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: SEQWater Public input  (Read 17901 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 339
  • -Receive: 135
  • Liked: 7
  • View Gallery
Re: SEQWater Public input
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 01:45:55 PM »
I don't see a problem with free or low cost camp for the grey nomads nearby, maybe they should look at something on the dam, in NSW dams you often have  no facilities option which of 75% cost of the full on rec area. Whist I'm not in the grey nomad category just yet, when driving from Sydney to  the barra trail I've always bypassed Wivenhoe and Somerset due to the extra cost of a boating permit and accommodation.   
Agree with you totally, the lakes should have low cost areas not only for the grey nomads but everyone in general; but as long as they are in the confines of the lakes, not outside of them. The idea of these workshops was to get an understanding of who is using what and how can things be improved for the recreational use of the lakes. Wivenhoe and Somerset are probably two of the best fishing lakes in Queensland, the camping areas are fantastic and they can cater to a number of pastimes like photography, bird watching and bushwalking. We can't do much about the boating permit (it is currently being questioned by a number of users) but as for accommodation there are already a few areas at both sites that give you options (camp grounds or cabins); next time you are up this way take the time to have look around it's worth it ($18/night to camp at Wivenhoe, $15 for a daily/weekly boat permit at Somerset).

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 05:12:18 PM »
I don't see a problem with free or low cost camp for the grey nomads nearby, maybe they should look at something on the dam, in NSW dams you often have  no facilities option which of 75% cost of the full on rec area. Whist I'm not in the grey nomad category just yet, when driving from Sydney to  the barra trail I've always bypassed Wivenhoe and Somerset due to the extra cost of a boating permit and accommodation.   

I have a problem with encouraging grey nomads anywhere. The buggers are the cancer of the highways and spend bugger all in most place..some fuel and on their way. Spend nights in the free rest areas along the highways..just had dealing with them today. I hate them. Ban them I say unless they can drive constantly at 100k/hr.

Ray..I am afraid apathy is not the word. Given up is a better description..I was involved in rallies and had meetings with pollies and bloke from the EPA at the time regarding the green zones in Moreton bay. Despite being told that they would be put there with proper consultation etc. After that I am afraid I will not waste my time dealing with any pollies. It does not matter what Joe Public wants..they just do what they want..end of story. Especially Newman's mob !!!!

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 08:07:51 PM »
Whilst camping facilities may be questionable on some of the nearer waters to Brisbane it certainly works on a lot of  dams in country areas.
You would probably find that it would work on some of the closer dams providing that it was regulated to a maximum stay of a few days such as Lenthalls.
Not only does it make it easier for anglers to fish more distant dams it brings valuable tourist dollars into the local community.
The so called grey nomads are the lifeblood to a lot of country towns and help stay the exodus of young people into the cities.Whilst they may not stay in the local caravan parks they still purchase their fuel and supplies in the towns.
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 16
  • View Gallery
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 04:23:06 PM »
Don't forget all the cheese and crackers they purchase !  Even old daisy starts mooing when she sees em roll in

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 05:38:32 PM »
I have a problem with encouraging grey nomads anywhere. The buggers are the cancer of the highways and spend bugger all in most place..some fuel and on their way. Spend nights in the free rest areas along the highways..just had dealing with them today. I hate them. Ban them I say unless they can drive constantly at 100k/hr.

Ray..I am afraid apathy is not the word. Given up is a better description..I was involved in rallies and had meetings with pollies and bloke from the EPA at the time regarding the green zones in Moreton bay. Despite being told that they would be put there with proper consultation etc. After that I am afraid I will not waste my time dealing with any pollies. It does not matter what Joe Public wants..they just do what they want..end of story. Especially Newman's mob !!!!

It hard for me to be down on the oldies , they built the country after all but I don't get the free rest area camping at all, sounds like a good argument for opening the showgrounds. In a perfect world everyone would drive at the speed limit but is it motorist fault the government is too tight arsed to provide dual lanes or at least overtaking lanes.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 06:05:02 PM »
No, they can drive at the limit when they get to an overtaking lane!

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 09:25:25 PM »

Ahh Grasshopper, be careful of your use of the word "hate". It is a bad emotion and will one day return to bite you on the arse. Provided you live to be a grey nomad.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 11:52:35 PM »
I'm looking forward to being a grey nomad & bloody well reserve the right to do 20k under the speed limit in the right hand lane in double lanes & then do 110 as soon as there's an over taking lane on single carriage road. It's a right of passage folks, we all (hopefully) get there one day...I'm practicing real hard at getting my cranky old man act down already.

Heard a young fella once say "geez they aint got long to live, you'd think they'd be in a bit of hurry". These days I know a bit better.  ::)

P for patience I tell my kids.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 130
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 10:03:02 AM »
...I'm practicing real hard at getting my cranky old man act down already.

Is that the same as "short arse syndrome"?

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 10:39:07 AM »
Is that the same as "short arse syndrome"?

Almost, but the real trick is to get both going at the same time.....  :popcorn)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 10:56:30 AM »
Almost, but the real trick is to get both going at the same time.....  :popcorn)
Reckon there was a bloke at Awoonga campground saw that one day.  Still laugh at the look on his face when you unloaded on him.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 04:20:33 PM »
Ahh Grasshopper, be careful of your use of the word "hate". It is a bad emotion and will one day return to bite you on the arse. Provided you live to be a grey nomad.

already at the grey nomad, grumpy old man age and I have the t shirt to prove it. I think I should wear it at the convention this year. it goes along with the other I have which states " Who needs Google when my wife knows everything".

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 04:28:28 PM »
I'm looking forward to being a grey nomad & bloody well reserve the right to do 20k under the speed limit in the right hand lane in double lanes & then do 110 as soon as there's an over taking lane on single carriage road. It's a right of passage folks, we all (hopefully) get there one day...I'm practicing real hard at getting my cranky old man act down already.

Heard a young fella once say "geez they aint got long to live, you'd think they'd be in a bit of hurry". These days I know a bit better.  ::)

P for patience I tell my kids.

Classic...you will do well when you reach grumpy old man age. Just look at Dale as the example of where you want to be.

We did a trip back from Port hedland..via Broome, Kunnunurra, Katherine and back into Qld. Hired a small campervan..it cruised easily at 110k to 130k dependent on the speed limits. Talking to some of the locals, the nomads are not all that well recieved in some areas. The locals whinge about the ones that stay in the roadside rest areas..they  (via their local councils) have to pay to maintain these areas and at times they are left a complete mess. Most do not spend much in the towns. We stayed in a van park in katherine..nice spot..the place was packed. They have a great bistro there..good food and well priced..yet they only get about 20 people eating there..the owner was telling us she was considering closing it as due to very few customers, no money to cover costs hence staff would have to be laid off. The funny thing is..most do not stop and have a good look..we ventured down the dirt track to gregory's tree..interesting history..and the Zebra rock mine..mentioned this to some that had coem the same way as us..Oh, we did not see those..we drove straight here..sheesh..what is the point of doing the trip if not stopping to have a look.
But, if ya drive that slow it takes forever to get nowhere..LOL

Anyway..where were we? Something to do with dams..bloody old age makes me forgetful at times.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 06:43:41 PM »
Reckon there was a bloke at Awoonga campground saw that one day.  Still laugh at the look on his face when you unloaded on him.

That was nothing to do with being grey, the bloke was a pure & simple tosser, he got treated accordingly. However soon after he did become a nomad as he got moved on........ again treated accordingly :walkplank

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2013, 08:48:12 PM »
I hope "pinhead" doesn't make it to old age, he really would be a pain in the A**,