Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)
Currently:
  • Our Family Holiday Part 2 Lake Kinchant 5 1

Author Topic: Our Family Holiday Part 2 Lake Kinchant  (Read 6432 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Our Family Holiday Part 2 Lake Kinchant
« on: January 13, 2012, 05:51:38 AM »
Lake Kinchant
Day 4 of our holidays was one of those days stuck in the confined space of our vehicle for a 600km trek north after an early get away from Cania and arriving at Lake Kinchant at 4.00pm in the afternoon with only one stop at Rocky for a quick feed and a stop at Barra Jacks to restock on the lost lures at Cania.
Setting up by dusk right on the water’s edge with boat launched and watching the sunset was pretty special, fishing gear was rigged and a quick flick with the boys made for a big day. No fish were found however plenty of weed was discovered which choked the prop on numerous occasions due to poor visibility and not knowing where I was really going, noticing the next morning that the tell-tale was restricted somewhat picking up a small piece of rubble.
Come 2.00am the signs of Barra in this lake was pretty prevalent as the boofing started at camp and didn’t stop for another hour and a half which saw me casting a frog and dropping half a dozen fish with some feisty Barra smashing my lure 10 feet from the bank enabling to hook up. Unfortunately we went fishless for the first night but it was promising for the days that lay ahead.
Day 5 and the sounds of Guinea Fowl woke most of us up pretty early again. Fixed the tell–tale problem and ventured to Mirani for fuel and supplies. Relaxed for the good part of the morning and played with some weedless rigs after our experiences from the previous night.
In the following days and nights the weed that we discovered 500 metres from camp on day one is where we would target these Kinchant Barra only fishing for about 5 hours a day due to the stifling heat during the day.
What followed during these days was nothing short of unbelievable fishing. All I wanted for this fishing family holiday trip was for my family, especially my two boys to experience what I enjoy most in any spare time that I have. I couldn’t believe it as at the end of our time away I couldn’t get ‘em out of the boat which was a major turnaround.  Our time at Cania prepared them for the battles that lay before them as I taught them the basic fundamentals for fighting these silver freight trains.
As a new day broke it didn’t take me long to crack a pattern landing my first Kinchant Barra which went 85cm. With the monkey off my back it was time to get the boys into some real action, however it would have to wait as we were joined by our very good friends that now reside at Mackay. After setting up their camp and a few beers had we waited for the sun to set lower in the sky before venturing out which resulted in a few Barra caught between us.
The most effective method was to surface lures, from frogs to poppers over the vast weed beds. After running out of frogs we resorted to using weedless rigs with Z-Man Swimmers skimming them across the surface, just as we would the frogs with great results.
We only fished surface which made for some absolute spectacular fishing spooking them as we fished, watching them tailing and herding up bait in the shallows. We only fished sunrise which also coincided moon set in the mornings and sunset for about two and a half hour sessions at any one time.  Twenty-five Barramundi were caught ranging from 75cm to 92cm and as we were fishing with weedless rigs we would have had an easy 40 to 50 other hits that left us with high anticipations to convert. It was extremely rewarding as I watch on as a Dad and seeing what my boys had learnt in a very short time on the water which also left me very proud.
Leaving Kinchant was a sad moment wanting to stay on, however all good things must come to an end as we packed up and stayed a night back in Mackay with our friends before making the long trek south back home.
For me this will be one of those family trips that will live long in my memory.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
Re: Our Family Holiday Part 2 Lake Kinchant
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »
How good is that eh?
Nothing like a hot bite with the Barra on the chew!

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Wivenhoe
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 03:50:09 PM »
That was well worth the time taken to read and thanks for taking the time to share your trip

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 16
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 05:07:49 PM »
Great report Bracey,

I love fishing the wall at Kinchant. My current PB is from that dam.
I know what you mean about the heat.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 12
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Stanley River
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 06:34:18 PM »
thats awesome mate, i was fishing in teembura on wed and did no good at all, maybe we should have gone to kinchant lol :youbeauty :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 10:36:43 PM »
Good report Dave, you sure did ok there. The weed in that place is unreal.

Cheers Andrew

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Monduran
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 05:59:48 PM »
Hey Bracey ,  Sounds like a nice couple of sessions mate , got me all excited bout exploring the dams and lakes around my new home. Plan by spring is to have enough coin saved for a new boat and hopefully be 7 on 7 off so i'll be getting that casting arm going again.. It's been way too long since i've caught a Barra. U'll have to come up for a fish mate when i'm all sorted  :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 01:47:46 PM »
I've had to hack into my son's computer to gain access to some threads and posts on Sweetwater. In the past 4 to 5 months I have had this ongoing problem whilst using the families computer. Don't ask me why, as I have explored all avenues to no avail to fix it. It's been great, relaxing with beer in hand catching up on old/new threads. :youbeauty

Thanks for your kind reply's, we sure did have a great time.

Hirsty, my advice is to hang up those boots mate and you'll get a lot more fishing time in. Good luck in your new town, exploring possible spots to fish. 

Thanks Dave