Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Poll

Did you enjoy the 2011 Wivenhoe Convention?

Absolutely, I had a great time
I some what enjoyed it
undecided
I didn't really enjoy it
Absolutely did not enjoy the event
Other - I will post a reply to the topic

Author Topic: Wivenhoe Event - post event feedback  (Read 24405 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Wivenhoe Event - post event feedback
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 11:19:52 PM »
I did not attend this year due to another commitment but would like to comment on the river aspect. I have previously tried to sus out launching spots and apart from twin bridges I have not been able to find anything that I would be able to launch my yak from { viking nemo with bow mount).
 Is there such a thing as a friendly property owner who would allow launching  from a yak friendly bank?
Cheers
Ray

Thanks for commenting Ray.

There are several friendly property owners. You just need to go door knocking to find them. Don't be disappointed by the ones who will show you the door tho.

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 103
  • Liked: 26
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 11:34:58 PM »
Great event, my first event and enjoyed it , the inclusion of the river was great! there was a map with with all the launch spots for the river and the people that asked for help to get their bigger yaks in the river received help. all any one had to do is ask  ;)
marquee was a great idea, times were great, safety was great, knowing safety boat was there was great,the socializing with like minded people was great, seeing the show and shine to see a lot of great ideas, prizes great, great great and great !                                                keep the river section open and have two divisions like the old ansa comps inshore and offshore! only this event would be dam and river.. that way it covers 2 aspects of crafts, big rigs for open water and small rigs for river and creek style fishing! after all, its about all styles of kayaks and canoes. with the river open as well as the dam this encourages all styles of yaks and canoes.  not just big fast  expensive yaks and canoes.
casting comp would add to entertainment and test some skills
all in all i loved the event and met some great people  :youbeauty
p.s to say the fish in the river are in a confined area is a joke  :))  :))

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 11:36:38 PM »
Great event as usual Fitzy; enjoyed it yet again, would have liked to have stuck around after closing to catch up with more people; but my own silly fault for living on an island. ;)

What did you like?
Ignoring the obvious details relating to the event, I'll concentrate on the specifics for this year that were very good:
The option of purchasing food at night; saves a whole lot of stuffing around for those who would prefer not to BYO.
The willingness to put safety first, and closing down the main basin. Unfortunate for the trimaran-endowed like myself, but a whole lot of smart in general.

What didn't you like?
I was counting on those hard trivial bloody pursuit questions to try and win back some street cred after my Wivenhoe '74' reply. Ahh well; I'll wear the dunce cap.

Thoughts on the inclusion of the river in 2011?
Great idea. If this were a competition first, and a social event second; I might have some reservations associated with level playing fields.. but this is a fantastic social opportunity, wrapped around a competition in order to give us a conversation starter. In that context, I reckon it works absolutely beautifully. I'd support either option in the future; I'm sure sticking to W would make things a whole lot simpler, but I have no problems with spreading to the 4-winds either.

Comments on the venue?
Up to the task.

Timing & duration of the event?
Good. Allows those with inflexible working situations to attend the full event, and not miss anything.

Cost?
Excellent. I spent more on lures for the event.
Knowing that there would be a reasonable range of lures available at the next event, I'd probably spend those dollars AT the event next year; which could be a percentage earner for the stocking group.

Safety/risk management?
Up to par. River is going to make things tougher for you though.

Marquee - did it help?
Ambivalent; I think we (attendees) didn't take advantage of it as much as we could have.. but I'm unsure as to the circumstances that would be required in order to boost that popularity (other than sticking a bunch of chairs in the middle to allow for pop-up micro discussions).

Do we need a safety boat?
I think it's a pretty important part of your risk management strategy, but it's not something that makes much sense in the context of river wanderers.

BBQs / catering? What would you prefer to see?
Simple is probably good. We can cope with, and even enjoy, a bit of grease over the weekend. The evening barbies were a good call.

* Have 2 different divisions in same event & split the prizes - River Vs Lake
I think it's likely that this would have decreasing value over time, as the rivers start to get harder, and the lake starts to get easier once more; techniques will differ, but relative likelihood of catching competitive bass/yellows, will probably be similar in a few years time.

* Lake only as in the past, but keep the river as a backup in case of bad weather & lake gets closed again due to wind
Not a bad option, in a situation where competition overrides the social aspect.. but I think it's unlikely that people are competing for prizes; River & lake adds to the fun each individual has.

* No access to Billies Bay / Hayes Landing unless everyone can have access
I'll leave this for others to comment.. with the Adventure, I can get up that way without too much stress anyway.

* Le Mans style start from Logans Inlet only. No driving elsewhere
Nah, too many advantages for those with turbo yaks/sails like myself, in that case.

* Keep the river as part of the event same as this year, good for people who don't have kayaks suitable to the open water (lake)
If I can fish skinny water with a 5m AI, anyone can. If blokes can catch bass in the basin on a tiny little Australis squid.. anyone can (condition dependent). To mangle an old quote: The yak doth not maketh the man (or woman) :)

* Have more displays to make a full on expo.
Love the idea, but it will be at the expense of major sponsors; as long as people are happy with potentially less 'big' prizes, and potentially less resources that Fitzy and the team could potentially put in, this could be workable.

* Allow electric powered boats / tinnies
Meh.

* Would you come again? If not, why?
Of course! I haven't won anything in 5 years, so that means that kayak must be MINE next year! MINE I say! ;)  :))

Red.

Thanks for commenting Red.  :youbeauty

If you'd like to seek comments from AKFF I'm happy to take a look.

I was surprized you took the AI down the river, well done. You got equal 2nd biggest bass for the event & didn't win a thing. I need to address that in the future I recon. Maybe drop the points or prizes for biggest per day & just have biggest of species; 1st, 2nd 3rd etc.... I recon it needs to be recognised.

I spoke with Charltons owners tonight regarding the event & they're talking about having more tackle out there for folks to grab if needed.

I don't think we need to increase the price to enter, want to make it affordable for those on a tight budget considering the fuel cost, camping fees on top of the entry. Those who have a few $ spare & buy raffle tickets make all the difference in regard to money raised. (over $1000 from raffles this year!!!)  :thanks

Food / BBQ wise, this will be far better organised next year & advertised much further in advance.

I'd like to get more displays there & have more on water testing available. Happy to hear from any manufacturers about getting involved.

Agree that the river will not fish as well again & will probably not be an influence on the scoreboard in coming years, but I would think that many would still prefer to go there even if they know they won't be a chance of winning. I don't think many come to actually win, from the feedback I get it's mostly around the social aspect.

Thanks again for the feedback, it's great to get such a good response from you & everyone else.

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 08:15:27 AM »
You got equal 2nd biggest bass for the event & didn't win a thing.

Bloody hell mate.. don't do that to me. I've got a whole year now to give StevenM the sh*ts, accusing him of stretching fish, asking him whether he weighed it down with lead before the photo, wondering aloud if his photoshop skills are any good, crowing that I can almost beat him with a 10 buck flatty lure... If I actually WON something, I'd have to shut my mouth, and leave him be! ;)
(Steve, of course, would do none of that. He's a more consistent bass fisherman when he's asleep, than I am at my best.. don't tell him that though.. he'll get a big head.   ... bigger head.).

... in all seriousness though; I'm sure that I'm like many that attend; Prizes are not the reason we come. I'd get much more fun out of seeing lures get thrown randomly into the crowd, than participating in a more structured prize system. Top angler/top bass/top yellow works well. It gives you something to strive for, and drives you to come back next year. Others opinions may vary, or course.

AKFF has a report thread running, with a link to this topic for opinions. I suspect most AKFF attendees will have an account here also.
http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=50038

Red.

Offline Member

• Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 09:47:34 AM »
What did you like? .
I love it all. The people, the event the way the it is run. Top job by all. No real sheep station stuff, everyone gets a chance to walk away with something. Even Richo the Wivenhoe Bass Virgin got into the goodies without getting his yak wet.

What didn't you like?
Alison stealing my yella. Cast in that area for about an hour on the Saturday for nadah. Bloody yella’s. Keepem in the mix as it makes things interesting.

Good. Gave a back up plan with the winds. Although it may not fish as well in the future, should be part of the event. As Wes said, if someone wanted a hand there was someone to help. All they have to do is ask. And for those that said they haven’t got a yak to fish the river, well Leigh is testament that he took his AI to two different destinations without any problem.

Others said that the river cant handle all these people fishing on it. My comment to that is Bullshit. There is enough river for everyone. Even the Shines section had probably 12 if not more in the area on Sunday. Add the 5 tinnies that were there as well and there was still room.

Comments on the venue?
Spot on. Good amenities, good camping area and good value.

Spot on. With enough notice people can manage most situations and make the journey up or down to the “switch” (and to those that do, I tip my hat off to you). Numbers slightly down this year but the weather probably stopped a few coming. But then again we still managed almost 90 odd competitors. Any tourney, boat / electric or kay would be licking their lips to get such numbers.

Cost?
Bloody cheap. 50 bucks entry to get a chance or multiple chances at winning 12 grand worth of goodies.

Safety/risk management?
On the money. Rules in place, people adhere to them. Even seeing someone like Wes who was on the river on Sunday realize that he forgot his key tag stop fishing and drive back to get his tag, what can you say about that. It works.

Marquee - did it help?
Yep. Was great to have a communal area for the presentations. Out of the Sunday Sun(not in your face as per previous) Good thing.

Yes.Only heard and seen some pics so obviously it works and is needed.

Lions did a great job. The Bacon, rissole and egg burger was so good that I had two. So many options, you could get some one in with a portable spit, portable Pizza ovens, and at the end of the day, I am there to fish and the last thing I want to do is organize a cook up for myself.

I'm looking for your constructive comments / ideas for future event.....

Some ideas already suggested by others (may not be workable from our end but worth throwing up for discussion)

* Have 2 different divisions in same event & split the prizes - River Vs Lake –
Nope, get the princess’ to toughen up.

* Lake only as in the past, but keep the river as a backup in case of bad weather & lake gets closed again due to wind
Still like the option of both. Different situations, different kayaks, any one has a chance.

Fair call. Must be open areas for public access. Am a key holder but want a level playing field in that type of situation.

* Have 2 events a week apart (one for river, one for lake) [I can't see this being workable with our resources - fitz]
Get out of town. You would be dead.

* Have 2 events 6 months apart (lake in spring, river in summer) [been an idea of mine for a while but a double up on advertising / paperwork, insurance etc]
Would be good but a bit of a strain getting sponsors on board, numbers and as you said the paperwork. If it ant broke don’t fix. (but secretly would love to see 2)

Yeah, looks good, but……not every one is gunna be happy with any and all rules and situations. They don’t like, I have a shoulder to cry on if needed.

* Keep the river as part of the event same as this year, good for people who don't have kayaks suitable to the open water (lake)
Yep it worked. So why not.

* Have more displays to make a full on expo   [possible to do, but could affect current long term sponsors]
Your call, doent really turn me on. Enough happening in my opinion.

* Have an early birds dinner in the Thursday night at local pub/restaurant [easily done -fitz]
Noice

* Allow electric powered boats / tinnies [not happening at this event, go to ABT - fitz]
Yeah go away.Lots of other tournies for ya.

Yep, just to get a kiss from Dale was a bonus.

* If you haven't attended, what would encourage you to come?
Madness if you were not there. You even missed out on “Some Say”

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 22
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 12:19:34 PM »
I did go to some lengths to explain that I was "playing the Devil's Advocate" in my post. It's not a frequently used term:

In common parlance, a devil's advocate is someone who, given a certain argument, takes a position he or she does not necessarily agree with, just for the sake of argument. In taking such position, the individual taking on the devil's advocate role seeks to engage others in an argumentative discussion process. The purpose of such process is typically to test the quality of the original argument and identify weaknesses in its structure, and to use such information to either improve or abandon the original, opposing position. It can also refer (less commonly) to someone who takes a stance that is seen as unpopular or unconventional, but is actually another way of arguing a more conventional stance.
That's not to say I disagree with any of it either.

By
"virtually trapped"
  I meant that a million year of instinctual behaviour would see these fish attempt to get as far upstream and away from the salt as possible. In this case as close to the dam wall as the food chain permits.
Gary and the "Team" I have never expressed anything but the greatest admiration for the effort, commitment and passion for waterways in the whole of Queensland. (bordering on fanaticism, in a good way) I will be the first to announce to anyone that cares about such things that you and the team are at the forefront of caring for and doing what needs to be done for the good of freshwater fishing. I was very surprised that the numbers were not higher despite the weather because of how much fun and value for money this event has been.
No one believes that you should lose money or waste time on this or any other event. If there were no prizes, no sponsorship, just a barebones get together the event would prove just as popular. (possibly more so for some) The lure (no pun intended, well mebbe a little one) of likeminded folk getting together for a few days would probly still fill the camp site.
I do honestly believe that Wivenhoe would have been "restocked" close to former levels by Somerset. I don't believe the fishing in either dam will be much changed once things settle down. Mostly I believe that just for a while that the fishing will be just as challenging, but in a different way to how it has been in the past. Normally I would not enjoy "fishing" above a school of fish either. I'd rather chase the bloody minded ones that don't conform.
Cheers John.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 82
  • -Receive: 20
  • View Gallery
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 05:03:40 PM »
What did you like?
The event is well organised with good sponsor supporting it.
The social side and getting too other yakkers is one of the main aspect everyone comes and talks about.
What didn't you like?
The weather two year running it given us hell.
Again lot's to be said about this but it everyone was given the chance, maybe if the another access to the hole at Shines Rd was open allowing the not so healthy and larger yak in there may have been less against it.  But personally I feel we should only use the river a back up if the dam is unsafe or do it as separate event but it will become to big of expense to have two events year.
Comments on the venue?
The venue was excellent considering the floods early in the year,
No problems at all with this.
Cost?
This is around the normal price of most tournament. As said you have to consider all the other cost if make too high it might stop some people 
Safety/risk management?
No problems at all.
Marquee - did it help?
Yes it made a general area for all too gather a good inclusion.
Yes if where fishing the dam only, the only thing need is that Dale has another person with him to assist if required for towing or something goes wrong.
It was great too a local service club gaining from the weekend.

Offline Member

• Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 05:45:51 PM »
Again lot's to be said about this but it everyone was given the chance, maybe if the another access to the hole at Shines Rd was open allowing the not so healthy and larger yak in there may have been less against it.  But personally I feel we should only use the river a back up if the dam is unsafe or do it as separate event but it will become to big of expense to have two events year.

If SEQwater ever reopens the Spillway common , that would be the easy launch option. It used to have a nice "road" down to the river , but its not there anymore . Hopefully they can find the funds for the major works that are needed to restore that area .

Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 06:08:15 PM »
If SEQwater ever reopens the Spillway common , that would be the easy launch option. It used to have a nice "road" down to the river , but its not there anymore . Hopefully they can find the funds for the major works that are needed to restore that area .

Cheers,
Dave.

The road is still there, it's just got a dirty great locked gate on it.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: mid north coast new
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 06:32:40 PM »
What did you like?
Being a first timer - Terrific meeting up with old buddies & making new ones -  been 'chatting' with Dodge for about 4 years & finally we meet 'face to face'!  The social side of the event is great - gathering at the various tent sites for the evening reverie was fun.  Terrific support by the Sponsors - many thanks!

What didn't you like?
I was disappointed that there weren't prizes this time for the Dam caught fish, as they really were much harder to catch than were the river fish.  Dougout caught a beautie on the Thurs afternoon (even tho prior to the event, so proved there were some out there), and 3 on the Sunday - even tho he missed the cutoff, having slept thru the morning meeting & assumed it was a later finish (2pm again) like day 1.   It would just have been a matter of marking D or R on the 'catch sheet'

Disappointed when it came in as I believed the event was for the benefit of the Dam - the river has already benefitted by the many MORE fish than normal that went over the wall.  There have been plenty who have fished the dam for the 4 events & never caught a bass yet & don't have the flood to blame!  It must just be a fairly difficult place to fish at the best of times - but is still a level playing field for all

Comments on the venue?
Excellent venue.  Very reasonable Camping prices, which helps to offset the cost of 'out of towners' (like me) getting up there (with an extra night's accomodation to break the trip, both coming & going)

Great!  The weather was just plain bad luck.  On Monday morning, there was stuff all wind & the water was pretty well glassed over!   >:(

Cost?
Cheap - tho appreciated!  Once again, allows the out of towners to get up there more readily due to keeping the overall trip costs down

Safety/risk management?
In the dam, great.  Not sure there was any on the River? Other than the 'trip notes' indicating where you would be on the day, the river people were on their own & I bet a few of them fished areas not written on their trip notes!

Marquee - did it help?
Great - I dropped my sunnies on Sun morning, so was more sunburnt than normal - also terrific in case of inclement weather, such as Fri.  Good to get out of the sun after a long day in it!

Essential for the Dam - for reasons others have stated - maybe make the paddler take a ride in the boat next time, instead of leaving them in the canoe - the roll over may not have happened (tho all batteries in yaks DO need to be secured & not 'floating')

I took advantage of the Lion's excellent cooking on Fri & Sat nights, even tho I had brought enough food for all meals!  That was terrific!

I'm looking for your constructive comments / ideas for future event.....

Some ideas already suggested by others (may not be workable from our end but worth throwing up for discussion)
* Have 2 different divisions in same event & split the prizes - River Vs Lake
Definitely if there are 2 venues - not fair otherwise as there are obviously more fish likely to be caught in the river & the locals are perceived to have a big advantage

Some yaks might not be able to fish the rivers so therefore unable to fish - Maybe have a single prize for biggest fish (2 main species awarded) & lucky dip for catfish (or other bycatch) and lucky dip for most of the other prizes, to spread the vibe amongst all attendees.

Agreed

* Have 2 events a week apart (one for river, one for lake) [I can't see this being workable with our resources - fitz]
I suggested this because there are quite a few of KFDUers who attended the Forster Fishing Carnival this year, which straddles the ABT weekend & the next weekend prize giving for the FFC.  They are keen to do so again.  As soon as the dates are known, those who still work try to arrange for the 5 weekdays off, to enable them to have up to 9 days at the venue.  Retirees are luckier!  It also allows those who have travelled the furthest to stay the longer & justify the long drive up & back.  Locals (or those who live close enough) would turn up on both weekends, as many did with this year's event.  The 5 days between both weekends would enable those who haven't fished the river before, to give it a go prior to the next weekend's event & not be disadvantaged for never having fished the river before.  Those fishing the weekdays will not be covered by insurance as it is not a part of the event, only the weekends - same costs whether 1 week apart or 6 months apart.  People who normally travel & camp & fish already do so at their own risk every other time, so no real difference this time.  No double up on advertising or paperwork, really, just another lot of insurance (same as 6 month apart) & maybe the big tarp staying up for the whole week rather than taking it down & putting it up again?

* Have 2 events 6 months apart (lake in spring, river in summer) [been an idea of mine for a while but a double up on advertising / paperwork, insurance etc]  
So long as it isn't during school holidays - the river would most likely be full of extra day trippers & traffic in general getting up & back worse

There are only a few who have sails, so no real issue - Le Mans start makes it a level playing field for all - if worried about those with sails, make one - pretty sure there is a 'how to' on KFDU somewhere
http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15853&hilit=sail

If the lake isn't rough, pretty well any sized yak can fish it - it is up to the individual how far they go.  I'm in a small yak & on Sunday, got over to the 'wall' opposite the camp OK, tho must admit it took longer getting back with the rougher water - but didn't feel threatened at all.  Dougout caught a 53cm fish 100m out from the camp ground, after paddling 12km, as he returned to base.

* Have more displays to make a full on expo   [possible to do, but could affect current long term sponsors]
The lures catch more people than they do fish - always got a spare dollar for a few more!  ;)  Don't want to threaten the existing Sponsors tho!   

* Have an early birds dinner in the Thursday night at local pub/restaurant [easily done -fitz]
Great idea!!  I'm in!

* Allow electric powered boats / tinnies [not happening at this event, go to ABT - fitz]
Absolutely not

NEW SUGGESTION:
Maybe have a lucky dip for those who only catch catfish!!  seems there could be more of them caught than the dam bass (so to speak!)  "Hanging'' Photo OK, to prevent a spiking ....... BTW, are we supposed to dispose of the catties, or just let them go?

EDIT
Definitely coming back - looks like Keith's Tri World Champs are in Oct '12  :)

* If you haven't attended, what would encourage you to come?
I'll be encouraging newbies to attend!  Word of mouth - viral marketing!

Many thanks Fitzy for all the hard work & efforts over the previous months to get the Convention together again - there is a lot of work that goes on in the background that most wouldn't know about.  We really appreciate you putting the Convention on & can't wait for next year already!

Cheers

Roberta

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 06:46:21 PM »
I did go to some lengths to explain that I was "playing the Devil's Advocate" in my post. It's not a frequently used term:

That's not to say I disagree with any of it either.

Cheers John.

You did say that, and it was duly noted John. And I replied to some of those comments.

So instead of playing devils advocate (which is most commonly used to portray one extreme possible outcome) or repeating other peoples words, please tell me what "you" think mate, or were you doing that in your original reply?
Other folks can speak up for themselves and we won't end up with exagerations or chinese whispers. 

Everyone.
I don't care if feedback it's good or bad, not looking for big pat on the back, rather am looking for best possible scenario from everyone involved so don't be shy. We've got some pretty clever folks attending, between everyone I recon we should be able to come up with the best format for the most people. So if you think something isn't the best or could be done differently, please offer up your ideas on how to do it better please folks.  :youbeauty

Thanks for all replies so far.  :Clap)

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 06:50:48 PM »

Cheers,
Dave.

Agree, not sure if, and/or when this will happen.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 06:54:02 PM »
What did you like?
The event is well organised with good sponsor supporting it.
The social side and getting too other yakkers is one of the main aspect everyone comes and talks about.
What didn't you like?
The weather two year running it given us hell.
Comments on the venue?
The venue was excellent considering the floods early in the year,
No problems at all with this.
Cost?
This is around the normal price of most tournament. As said you have to consider all the other cost if make too high it might stop some people 
Safety/risk management?
No problems at all.
Marquee - did it help?
Yes it made a general area for all too gather a good inclusion.
Yes if where fishing the dam only, the only thing need is that Dale has another person with him to assist if required for towing or something goes wrong.
It was great too a local service club gaining from the weekend.

Thanks Ray.

BTW - You mentioned better access to the Junction Hole..... you can launch from Harpeng Road . It's alot easier than Shines Rd. Can also launch on either side of o'Rielly's Weir. Ot put in at Lowood & do a short portage around the log jam to the Junction Hole.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 22
  • View Gallery
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 12:47:00 AM »
Ok in my own words and in my own opinion. Fishing in a barrel. That was how I perceived fishing the river. Other years the barrel has been schools of fish, once they have been found. The usual barrel wasn't available this year. If I had attended for twenty years I would never have sat with 20 other people around a school of fish. Fish school up in Wivenhoe in winter. NOT all of them. The muddy water that was Wivenhoe  still had to go through the washing machine gates of the dam. The river was just as muddy, it has to be if Wivenhoe is. I figure if conditions are tough then nut it out and formulate a plan of action. I don't agree with changing something that's not busted. There were fish there. Not a lot perhaps. Doug nutted it out, Couldn't tell the time though ;D I might have fluked one but did so by following a plan. Would have been two if I had checked my new lure didn't have a hook protector on it.
 ::)  Hey there are fish in there to be caught. Just because it might be harder, or different to other times is not a valid reason to take an easy option.
cheer John.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 35
  • View Gallery
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2011, 04:21:11 AM »
The wife and myself did not attend this year but had been to all previous conventions. Strictly a freshwater beginner did not restrict us going. I look at the convention as a 2 sided event. There is the fishing competition for those that are serious about their fishing...and the social aspect which included everyone.
The location is superb and the organisation excellent.
River and lake fishing ..I would say that either would be okay for the serious fishos. In the past people have driven to other access points on the dam so not much difference if going elsewhere. The only problem I could envisage with the river..and hopefully it would never happen ..is if an injury occurred. Locating and assisting the person could be difficult.

Displays..in the past these have been very good and informatrive.

Food..the evening barbies have always made life easier...and if someone  makes a buck for their organisation even better.

Prizes etc...Never been into fishing for anything other than the fun of it since I left the fishing club I was in ..and that was about 30 years back. But, once again, I only speak for me ...others may be interested and enticed by the array of prizes.

Cost...cheap for a fishing comp as well conducted as this one,

Would I change anything...nope.

Would i attend again..definitely.

Did not attend this year as we have sold the yak and thought someone that was fishing could use the camping spot we had booked so we cancelled it.

I would even attend again if not fishing..just a top weekend away with a great bunch of people and great surrounds.

well done Gary once again .

I would make one suggestion...a clinic for the freshwater beginners perhaps...what gear, lures, finding fish etc etc etc. Not everyone is an expert on this type of fishing and many could do with some informative assistance.

One day I may even catch a bass and a barra somewhere.