Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Are Wuruma and Lenthall Dams still being stock with Barra?  (Read 15159 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 2
  • Liked: 3
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where their biting
Are Wuruma and Lenthall Dams still being stock with Barra?
« on: March 10, 2014, 07:35:35 AM »
I never seem to hear anything about these two dams any more and was wondering if their still being stocked. I would imagine Lenthall would be getting stocked with bass still.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Ovens River Eurobin Victoria
Re: Are Wuruma and Lenthall Dams still being stock with Barra?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 09:45:40 PM »
Just looked at Fraser Coast Fish Stocking association's web site but can't see anything recent about stocking, they have 4 GM's per year and I might go to the next one in June, it should still have plenty of fish in it because not many boaties want to risk loosing their  outboard on the terrible road to it, the info below is their opening mission statement, (hope it helps).

The FCFSA are responsible for the creation, management & maintenance of fish stocks in the waters of Lake Lenthall (Lenthalls Dam). The lake is stocked with the following suitable native fish species Australian bass, barramundi, silver perch, golden perch & snub nosed gar primarily for recreational fishing purposes for the general public under the Stocked Impoundment Permit Scheme as put & takes fishery.

All fish stocking activities are carried out in accordance with & under permit from the Qld Department of Primary Industries & Fisheries. FCFSA has objectives and principles which clearly define its role in the overall fishery management program these include promoting fishing based tourism in the Hervey Bay region.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 04:13:19 PM »
Lenthalls  was stocked with bass and yella fingerlings last month. Hanwood could not supply full complement of bass so numbers were made up with yellas. Barra fingerlings from Gladstone hatchery are late this year due to cool weather inhibiting growth so will be stocked end of this month.
Unsure of actual numbers stocked,
 Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• WDFRA Sec / Treasurer
  • Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
  • Liked: 0
  • Wuruma Dam Fish Restocking Assn Inc
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 06:52:40 PM »
 :Clap) Lake Wuruma & the Wide Bay Burnett District have suffered two major flooding events in two years with water flowing over the spillway for weeks on end, forcing the cancellation of the last two Annual Family Fishing Competitions, usually held annually in February-March. The floods also caused devastation to some hatcheries & the availability of some fingerling stocks has been restricted. 25,000 silver perch were purchased & put into Lake Wuruma on February 19th 2014 & depending on availability, catch up restocking will recommence this spring / summer when the weather warms up again. Meanwhile reports from fishermen state their catches have only improved with the high water levels.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 10:16:25 AM »
Thanks Hinke Johnson,
I went for a drive up to Lenthalls a couple of weeks ago to have a look at both the ramp and more importantly the road, I haven’t had a look at it for a fair while and last time it (the road) was in a deplorable state and one which I wouldn’t sacrifice my boat motor or transom on trying to travel on, however they have now topped and graded the first section up to the right turn towards the dam and the next section is not too bad if you go slow, the dam it’s self looks great with plenty of water and lots of fish surfacing for flying bugs , The ranger would not let me launch my boat because in his words “I don’t have an Evenrude Motor”, I have a Stacer 449 Bay Master with a Yamaha 40 direct injection 2 stroke, I had a check of  its eco star rating and it would seem it satisfies all of the council’s stats for the dam and I even have a DVD of Bushy fishing there with the same motor, Me thinks this ranger don’t like Yammies or any one not in a yak on “his” very own lake, I will be changing where I nominate the stocks go on my next SIP that’s for sure,
Kind regards,
Bluey55

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 11:56:02 AM »
Your Yamaha has oil injection, but not fuel injection.  It does not meet the requirements for Lenthalls or for Wivenhoe without fuel injection.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 07:09:20 PM »
Question, What makes Lenthalls and Wivenhoe different from Awoonga, Monduran & Borumba ?

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 07:12:16 PM »
And why was Bushy allowed on Lenthalls with the same motor

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 07:29:53 PM »
Question, What makes Lenthalls and Wivenhoe different from Awoonga, Monduran & Borumba ?

Government Rules mate

Your Yammy has a 1 star OEDA emmision rating and the current rule for higher emmisions is that they require 3 star.

So bacially even if your 2 stroke yammy is direct injection "oil" the way that it burn the fuel and oil mix still has a fair amount of carry over or unburnt fuel and oil mix that will come out through the through prop exhaust.

The ETEC 2 strokes are not the oly 3 star jobs out there in the 2 stroke field.

You want all the sh!t..here ya go

New star emission rating system for outboard engines sold in Australia: Voluntary Emissions Labeling Scheme (VELS)

OEDA introduced a Voluntary Emissions Labeling Scheme (VELS), an emissions rating system, in January 2007 to help boat owners choose outboard engines based on emission information along with other features required to meet their usage requirements. VELS .

The voluntary code VELS is based on international emission regulations and was supported by the major outboard distributors in Australia including BRP, Honda, Mercury, Suzuki, Tohatsu and Yamaha. VELS is the only established scheme recognised and approved by the Australian Government.

Under the code, engines are identified by permanent, recognisable external labels that identify the emission rating of the product.

The rating system is based on world best practice and, while it is curently only applicable to petrol outboard engines, OEDA will invite other outboard importers and PWC manufacturers to take advantage of the labels in the future..

The aim of the uniform labelling scheme VELS is to assist the consumer make better informed choices when purchasing an outboard engine.

OEDA encourages the boating public to look for the VELS star-rated labels when buying an engine.

The VELS star rating system is:

Zero star - High emission - Generally 2-stroke engines
One star - Low emission - many 2-stroke engines
Two star - Very low emission - some 2 stroke direct injection and 4 stroke engines
Three star - Ultra low emission - most 2 stroke direct injection and 4 stroke engines
Four star – Super ultra low emission – for future technologies
The scheme is based on world standards and, in particular, the world leading USA scheme.

Future development of the Australian VELS system will continue to follow world standards.

The US Environmental Protection Agency introduced regulations in 1998 aiming to reduce marine engine emissions by 75 per cent by 2025.

The Australian Government in discussions with OEDA in 2007 stated it was not suggesting regulations, preferring an Industry voluntary systems such as VELS.

OEDA realised self regulation is always a better option than regulation and is hopeful Australian boat owners will show their genuine concern for the environment when making their next purchase. Australia needed readily understood information on outboard emission levels which is what we now deliver."

Low emission engines reduce air pollution, use less fuel and oil, produce less noise and smell and have better resale value than higher emission engines.

As well as investing in the most suitable technology when buying a new engine, OEDA hopes and encourages the boating public to help the environment by ensuring boats and engines are kept in peak operating condition and being careful to avoid fuel spills.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 07:50:16 PM »
Very interesting but was it not you who posted you dismay with the same rules for Wivenhoe and in your words Somerset's water flows into Wivenhoe anyway, I'm not completely sure that my motor is not fuel injected, It's a new boat and the manual says HPDI, I think the meaning of that is High Pressure Direct Injection not just oil being directly injected, but anyway I will seek advice from my yammy dealer

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 07:55:49 PM »
Anyway I'm not interested in cutting and pasting info quickly searched to make big note statements, I just wouldn't mind fishing in a dam that my rates pay for OK

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 08:07:09 PM »
The rules for lenthals are set by Wide Bay water and have been in place for several years and are slightly different to Wivenhoe.
Wivenhoe rules are set by SEQ water.
None of the rules are set by the QLD government.
Lenthalls has a HP limit whilst there is no power limit at Wivenhoe.
Have a look at the Wide bay water website for complete details.
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 08:45:09 PM »
Simply, if it has a carby it's out Bluey.  They are the rules that the authorities brought in.  Perhaps argue with them mate.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 09:19:37 PM »
 Bluey

Not my rules mate, but willing to play by theirs

The only Yammy HPDI that I know of is the 150 / 175 jobs mate, but happy to be wrong

Interesting if the broom was on Lenthals with it as I believe that it has a stupid 60hp limit as well?

Anyway not here to argue, just trying to answer you questions to the best of my knowledge

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 07:51:23 AM »
Fair enough, I'm sorry it got out of hand and perhaps there was a bit of hijacking, I will bow out,
Regards Bluey55.