Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Best Rifle  (Read 46542 times)

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 228
  • -Receive: 21
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Best Rifle
« on: November 02, 2012, 09:17:47 AM »
Hi,

Can anyone recommend what would be the best all round rifle to use against Deer, Pigs, Foxes and Rabbits?

Someone suggested a 303 (Ex Army) would be ideal. I was thinking about using a scope also.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.
Cheers, Bondy

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
Re: Best Rfle
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 11:24:49 AM »
Deer and pigs arent lightweights .. well depends on what deer you are talking about but whatever caliber you need for deer and or pigs will just turn foxes and rabbits into paddock pizza

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 08:57:12 PM »
Not sure about up here, but the minimum calibre for Deer used to be .270 and that's too much rifle for bunnies

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 31
  • Liked: 5
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Noosa
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 04:07:43 AM »
Hi Bondy ,
l was a pro shooter in western NSW for several years [whilst having other jobs] and everything had to be head shot [for the chillers , or for skins].
75% of goats and pigs were taken with a 243 , the rest with a 270 or a custom built 30/06.
Foxes , roos's , cats , wild dogs were taken with a 22/250 or an old battered 223. Again , all head shot. Sometimes , when there was no wind , l would use a 17Remington on the foxes.
Never worried about rabbits but would take a few for dogs or myself to eat with a 22.

l dont think there is 'one' rifle that would do everything you want to do properly , but 223 and 243 are both very versatile especially if you plan on rolling your own reloads. l shot a lot of pigs and goats with the 223 when walking dams/creeks. Just had to place the shot well.

Buy the best rifle/scope you can afford. l used Remington , Sako  , Brno and Tikka rifles , and Leupold or Pecar scopes.

lf you want to get an ex-military rifle , go for a Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55 cal. Try to get one with a good barrel and tight action.
You can get them drilled for a scope mount , and with a 3-9x40 scope you can hunt a lot of game with it. Though with rabbits you will get 'paddock pizza'  :))

But the most fun was hunting pigs on foot with a single shot , falling block Sharps replica 45/70 calibre with a huge octagonal barrel and peep sights.  :D

Hope this helps ,
Barney.

Offline Member

• Store Customer
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 16
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 06:46:47 AM »
308 for larger animals, pigs, etc, and a 222 or 223 for lighter.
VIC regulates 270 for Sambar, but lighter deer its not required
270 is a great round if you are only buying one gun, 7mm 08 would be my preferred for one gun, i have a preference for short action rifles. 270 is a long action, Each to their own
You can use 223 for heavier stuff but shot placement is important, sometimes its what is in your hands is used, and in close it doesnt matter.
If budget is not an issue, 1000 to 1500 will buy a good quality new rifle,
You can buy a new Howa for around 600 if you shop around, which is great value. I bought a 2nd hand brno in 308 early this year for 550, and it is a great rifle. Go to the gunstore and have a feel, all second hand guns are graded in condition, some of them can be a bargain. A new CZ brno is approx 1200 today. I like old guns, but if i was shooting it everyday, i would buy a Howa, and when it wears out, buy another
Whatever you do, make sure you know what you want, if its carry around hunting, dont fall for the trick of buying a heavy barrel for greater accuracy. Sporter weight will still be very accurate for hunting purposes

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 10:39:16 AM »
Always reckoned 243 the best all round rifle. 22's are not worth taking off the gun rack. Bigger just costs more to feed.
In Qld 243 used to be the minimum for deer, no idea on current rules.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 137
  • -Receive: 52
  • Liked: 2
  • fish restocker
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 11:20:24 AM »
2506  might be what your after ?

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 08:25:31 AM »
Hi guys,

Thanks very much for your input and advice on rifle selection. I must admit I'm a bit overwhelmed.

I agree a large calibre rifle is not ideal for rabbits. I guess I'll have to purchase two rifles, each having their own specific target. I.e. heavy for deer and pigs and a lighter one for rabbits.

I use to be a member of a rifle range club but left my membership to lapse a long time ago.

Am I correct that one needs a letter or similar from an organisation these days to authenticate the reason for purchasing or holding a rifle.

Cheers, Bondy

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 07:23:04 PM »
I have a CZ 527 american in .222, Its short, lightweight and shoots extremely well

My .22 hornet is a bruno fox mod 2 and shoots like a laser perfect for anything up to wild dogs within 200 yards ( Good shot placement tho )

I have others but dont get used very much i sold a new tikka T3 hunter not long ago after a misfire blew brass back into my eye ( not the rifles fault missed a primer recall )

The two rifles i long for are a sako vixen in .222 and my fathers Tikka M55 in .243 ( back when things where made under an iron fist )

I dare you find a better bushy rifle than those last 2

Fallow and chital deer would use a minimum .243

Steve

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 10:44:24 PM »
Bushwaker (Steve),

Thanks mate, sounds like you have a nice collection, bummer about the backfire, could have been nasty and lose an eye hey!

I hope the one I eventually purchase wont do the same, i.e. backfire.

Bondy

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 06:42:10 AM »
Not really the rifles fault although actions arent made how they used to be.

Was using a brick of federal primers that had been recalled for the very reason that the odd one was blowing out the side wall of the primer pocket.

It pitted the bolt face but had the rifle sent back to NIOA trading under warrenty to get the bolt face polished and pressure tested.

They sent the rifle back to me with the all clear and a new 1000 federal primers
I could never use the rifle the same after i am sure it was a mental thing but can use my dads fine.

Steve

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Best Rifle
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 09:48:03 AM »
From my past life shooting hogs, goats and odd deer every 2nd weekend, I ended up sticking with a 22/250 for shooting from the ute or staking out a hill top. A touch of overkill for bunnies and foxes but at least didn't spray them all over the paddock, maybe a touch under gunned for a decent hog at times. When on foot I'd take the SKK (apparently you're not allowed to have these any more  :Oops) ) or the tough as nails old 30/30 in thick scrub (brigalow or lantana etc), alot of bang and as accurate as a catapult after 60 feet but would pull up a hog in its tracks if you hit it. 

243 is generally regarded as a good allrounder

A 303 will stop a pig for sure, and the one behind it, also handy if you happen to run into a bull elephant while walking thru the scrub.  :OMG

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 11:36:49 AM »
Bushwaker and Sweetwater,

Thanks very much for the additional info, it will certainly give me something to think about.

I wonder if the 303 can still be purchased these days?

Bondy

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 11:59:06 AM »
Another one to chew on i dropped a micky bull the other day out of a ladys paddock with a .243 with 1 shot.

You might have to re live some of your past lif one day Fitzy

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 10
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Any dam
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 08:08:06 PM »
I will back the others and say the 243 is a good all round rifle. I do a fair bit of deer hunting and bit of dog and pig hunting and i wouldn't be one bit worried in carrying a 243. All to do with getting in close and shot position.  I usaully hunt deer with a 30-06 but or compound bow now. Dogs usually with 223 or 243 and then little stuff with 22 or 22 mag.

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events