Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Bass season opening  (Read 28320 times)

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Bass season opening
« on: September 01, 2011, 05:12:16 PM »
had a report that the brisbane river has had a great opening day, lots caught and several bass at 55+. Nice work, cant wait for more pics to get posted

Offline Member

• Serial kayak seller and buyer
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 114
  • Liked: 18
  • Kayak Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Bass season opening
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
I certainly didn't see a bloody 55cm bass. Actually most people I talked to had hardly raised a scale. Where were all these bass caught? 6.5hrs on the water for a few rats and one half decent bass.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 12:01:49 PM »
Where were you fishing Wayne?  From what I hear the Lockyer/Brissy junction area was going off.  Plenty of big fish up there.  I even heard a whisper of a 57 when I was shopping last night.  I just heard that there'll be a pic of a 55 posted here today that was taken lower down, between Savages and Burtons. 
Oh, hang on, you did OK, but didn't want to let anyone know that the Lockyer/Brissy junction was going well.  Oops, sorry, I guess I've let your secret out now.  My bad. :-X

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 12:45:33 PM »
all fish were twinies to lowood so the story goes

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 130
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 02:07:38 PM »
  :o :popcorn)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 02:12:13 PM »
Due to some minor surgery yesterday lunchtime only managed a quick morning fish in a local creek. Only one fish.
Had a report from Kholo of a couple of mid fourties.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 82
  • -Receive: 20
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 04:07:10 PM »
Got me buggered why people can't tell the truth, it's not as if there's a shortage of Bass in the Brisbane River at the moment. 
Seem a fair call, it a very long river with weir along the way, so tomorrow plus Sunday weather permitting I'm putting in the effort to go and do some research for myself, where to start is the hardest part, so just going to drive around and check all the entry for a place safe to leave the car plus yak trailer.

Ray

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 04:37:59 PM »
I certainly didn't see a bloody 55cm bass. Actually most people I talked to had hardly raised a scale. Where were all these bass caught? 6.5hrs on the water for a few rats and one half decent bass.

Come on Wayne we know the comp is around the corner...You're not foolin me. ;D

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: unicorn forest
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 05:20:53 PM »
 :OMG

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 130
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 09:05:25 PM »
I wasn't going to report on Thursday's fishing , purely for selfish reasons , but I have had a rethink.

Actually , it is more from a story Catfich Al told me on Thursday morning that has changed my thinking . He recalled how he was paddling doing 'recon' just upstream from Lowood on Monday ( down behind the industrial estate ) . He had an encounter with some old geezer in a tinny who had a 'cricket score' ( 30+ ) of dead Bass in the bottom of his boat . When confronted by Al , the old fella used some lovely language in telling him where to go . Not only was this fella fishing during closed season but a total disregard for bag limits aswell . Unfortunately Al was unable to get any details that would help identify this fella . So in short , the more eyes we have out there on the river the better , and the more chance we have of keeping behaviours like this in check.

So how did we go??
Good , but not as good as it was back in May . The fish are in good nick , not many had sores , and most were fat . We only fished the Brisbane from the end of Shines Rd up to the junction with Lockyer creek . Lockyer creek has a funky green milky look to it , only the one Bass and a catty were pulled from it . The main trunk of the river was where the bites were. Spinnerbaits have been my main weapon of choice , and they were used for most of the day again. Landed a couple from using blades on a fast retrieve.

I won't speak for Wayne on how he went , but I managed 22 Bass . Only 6 casts into the day and I hooked what ended up being my largest for the day. 57cm of fat Bass
Not a bad start to the season

Sorry , the only brag mat picture was taken on my phone , here its just lying across me

Wayne joined us about 9.30 I think and it didn't take hime long to get into the action. Catfish Al messed around with some of his own ammo for no result ,so out of pity I threw a spinnerbait at him and he got onto the fish aswell.

He also managed catching the only yella for the day.

Here's a few other pics from the day

Caught plenty this size too

Sorry for the slow report , but keep an eye out for the Banjos up to no good.

Cheers,
Dave.

ps. I haven't had much luck in the reach upstream from Twinnys . All the reports from the locals who fished the winter from the banks say "anywhere from the Lowood bend up to the dam" .

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 12
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 09:44:57 PM »
Gr8 effort guys!

I did hear a story that Fisheries recently busted a heap of people down near Crosby Weir with way more than they should have, and in closed season also.  Hopefully this other clown gets put through the ringer as well!

SB8   

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 10:10:59 PM »
Report from a mate in the media..... A mate of his put his tinnie in at Twin Bridges & fished upstream. "Lots" of bass reported upto 56cm.

From the reports I've heard from text, here & phone there's fish right through the river from various access points including:
Shines Road, Lowood, Twin Bridges (usptream), Twin Bridges to England Creek Hole, upstream of Savages, downstream of Savages & upstream of Kholo Bridge.

Have a picture here of a 55cm from upstream of Burton's Bridge.  :youbeauty Will post it shortly.

Good on Dave for sharing....  Those that come to the Wivenhoe Event will be treated to a "tell all" seminar with Q&A at the Friday night briefing about the lake & river.

Cheers..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • Kayak Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 08:41:01 AM »
Dale, Dave introduced me to this spot so it's not like I am going to tell everyone where it is now am I? That would be bad manners. And the fact is that it is not fishing as well as it has in the past so the fish we caught were not as good as we expected. Biggest I caught on the day was 53cm and Dave had already caught his biggun before I got there so I didn't see it. The only other person we had contact with throughout the day only caught one bass (according to the phone calls). There were a lot of smaller fish caught.

Biggest surprise for me was catching the eel on a spinnerbait. Sure made a mess of the yak and spinnerbait. With my one girly scream out of the way (when I got the hook out and it headed straight for my nads), I managed to kick it back into the water and try to sort out the tangled mess of leader wrapped around my spinnerbait.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 08:59:01 AM »
Had a couple of eels hit spinnerbaits over the years... its not a fun thing getting them out of the mess they make.

Some nice fish there Wayne.  :youbeauty What are your thoughts about the drag back up the hill at Shines?

We tried using 100m of paramatta rope tied to the back of the car & towed the boats up.

Fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • Kayak Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 11:13:47 AM »
I HATE the drag back up Fitzy. Worst thing about fishing there! I am fairly fit and healthy but still have to make a couple of stops and catch my breath and I am puffing like I have just finished a 100mtr sprint.

Yep dragging those suckers out seems like a great idea. Would have to have one person driving and one person guiding though. Dave still hasn't got rid of that log near the top. It's the final nail in my coffin, getting the yak over it.