Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Green & Gold - Australia Day long weekend report  (Read 8194 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Green & Gold - Australia Day long weekend report
« on: January 28, 2014, 12:40:21 AM »
I took off out to explore some spots out west. I'd heard some reports from locals of some good sized yellowbelly and the rare cod, but the same locals were insistent that they can't be caught on lures as the water is always too dirty; "bobbing is the best way to catch 'em"

Anyways, I did some research and found some reserves and gained access via some private property along the river so I went to check them out....

First spot was right where I thought it would be but the track in was over grown, logs across the track and very sandy. I put the snatch strap to good use several times to clear the track. Getting to the river I found it bone dry. I kind of expected as much since the area has been in serious drought conditions. Not to be deterred I moved onto some state forrest land and found a track towards the river, again having to snatch several logs off the track and again, mostly dry with one little hole that was about a foot deep at the most found.

I swung into another reserve and after investigating an old homestead site, I found a track to the river. Climbing down the high (almost cliff face) rocky bank I noted some skinny, but deeper water. Not big enough to drop the kayak in, but very fishy looking, was thinking that tomorrow I'd walk the bank here casting.

Just on dark I called into a property to talk to the owners about their fishing spots, someone noticed something on the back of my leg and upon investigation in the light it was found to be a larg scrub tick, I'd picked up some nasties. After some tweezer work by the lady of the house I was all clear of ticks and was invited to camp on the property for the night instead of going back to the river to roll out the swag. A good feed, several drinks, alot of yarns and clean bed was provided by the lovely people, then an invite to go pig hunting with their dogs was kindly declined in favour or pushing out some zzzzzzs.
Up early I had a coffee with the kind hosts and hit the road again, taking a bad direction I eventually found myself getting back onto the road I needed but about 10km off target and somehow on the wrong side of the river.
Referring to my maps, I noted there was some state forrest between me & the river and I spotted a track so I thought I'd investigate and soon spotted the first decent water I'd seen. I ran into one family who had camped down there for several days and had a chat with them. They'd caught maybe a dozen yellowbelly on worms and yabbies for their time spent trying. Again I was told the this river is too dirty for lures, but I was determined to prove them wrong. I waved goodbye and drove on downstream to find a spot where I might drop the canoe in. Eventually finding a spot I slid in and paddled off. After maybe 20 casts I got belted but no hookup, a few casts later the spinnerbait came up firm on a fish from the same snag, unfortunately I dropped it half way in, that's fishing....

I paddled another 50m and found a log jam I would have to drag up and over, I didn't bother (but the water on the other side looked pretty good) and turned to go back past the launch site to the bottom of the hole. I found a nice lay down which ran half way across the river (really more of a creek than a river) was right where the family had camped. A half hearted cast got a good hit, another couple of casts produced my first yellowbelly on a lure from this river. Was nothing big, maybe legal size but I was happy and it was more than I expected from the trip. A few more yellas were caught in the 50m to the bottom of the hole. I squeezed thru to the next hole which turned out to be very shallow and only about s cast length long.
Back to the main hole I thought I'd fish back up towards the log jam at the top end. Another couple of yellowbelly including one that was only about 3 inches long, the bites seem to be getting less timid as the sun inched a little higher.
A cast at a snag I'd by-passed on the way down got smashed after one turn of the reel, this was no midget yella. It ran right towards the canoe so I quickly got a look at it, it was green in more ways than one. After seeing the canoe it woke up and ran for cover. I honestly thought I was going to get bricked but luck was with me and I steered it out.
As I didn't expect to catch anything I'd left the truth mat in the car, so I took a marked its length on the rod and measured it later on at 75 - 80cm. It was in good nick so I'm guessing around 15 pound.

That was enough for me, I was content to pack up the canoe and go look elsewhere.

Back to the spot I'd found the day before I went further along the narrow sandy track than previous and you guessed it, I got bogged. After letting the tyres down to 18 pound and some digging I got moving again but decided to back out before it got worse. I'd gone maybe 100m when bam, I staked a tyre. All the gear was taken out of the car to get to the jack, I tried several times to jack it up in the sand but the car kept falling off the jack in the loose sand. An old trick using some old fence posts as levers allowed me to get the car up a bit and then dig out enough space below the tyre to change it. Hot work but all sorted...whew. The sand and dust had stuck to my sweat and tuned me into some muddy looking yowie so I walked back to an old dam I'd spotted to wash off, I didn't want to wash in the river cause it might spook any fish. All cleaned up I headed down with one spinnerbait. A bad cast saw me loose that single lure in a tree on the other side within 5 minutes. I snapped it off a decided to just walk and explore. I found some nice rock formations, a few more small holes and had a face off with a friendly red bellied black.

That's about it, I'd lost alot of time due to log pulling, getting bogged, tyre changes etc so it was time to run for home (and I was over it by then) While I didn't get to as many spots as planned, I was more than happy with the trip results; a dozen or so yellas and a cod for maybe 2 hours fishing all up. Well worth it considering the locals say you can't catch natives on lures in that river....

Got a few pics and some average video which I'll post when I get a chance to download them.

Cheers,

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 59
  • Liked: 7
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Freshwater
Re: Green & Gold - Australia Day long weekend report
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 07:02:03 AM »
Awesome report. Fishing, 4wding. Exploring, a great adventure :) oh if u do that often, might be worth investing in an exhaust jack for the car ;)

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 11:38:07 PM »
Apparently I'm a lying so & so (thanks for the lovely message)

Anyway, I've added a screen shot from the video to the original post & here's some video, please excuse the poor audio, my video camera went flat so the last half is all shot on smart phone in a waterproof case.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 06:50:40 AM »
Nice fish mate.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 89
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: water
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 07:43:33 AM »
And why would you be lying?? :/ some people obviously have nothing better to do....
Good fishing mate!

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 10:26:26 AM »
Nice one Fitzy. :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 103
  • Liked: 26
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 08:57:29 PM »
Far out that is a cracking cod mate!  :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 24
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 07:54:43 PM »
That's a good green fish Fitzy

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 137
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 05:38:32 PM »
enjoyed the video,
What model oldtown canoe is that ?

regards
          Eric

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 08:58:59 PM »
enjoyed the video,
What model old town canoe is that ?

regards
          Eric

Hi Eric,

The canoe is an Old Town Pack Angler. Hard to get in Oz now, but have been replaced with the Old Town Discovery 119 which is virtually the same hull & seat but is much cheaper being made from poly link 3 as opposed to the expensive 9 layer royalex that the Pack is made from.

A great rig for flat water; better for the back than SOT or SI kayaks due to the elevated seat & room to move, better carrying capacity & lighter compared to kayaks.

Cheers,

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 137
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 07:20:08 AM »
Thanks for the reply Fitz, my back wont let me spend much time on a sot so have been hanging out for secound hand pack angler, I will look into the new replacement, they sound just as good as pack angler
 would like a oldtown to do the Dawson in the next few months

Eric.