Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: One for Fitzy  (Read 4393 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 3
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Any small streams, rivers or estuaries
One for Fitzy
« on: April 03, 2011, 07:37:44 PM »
Fitzy, with the threat of a couple of pest species spreading unchecked in Somerset and other dams and rivers, the following could be floated for discussion.

I have heard several reports in the last year or so of wild species being found drifting further south.

What increase in temperature is required before we could consider Barramundi in Somerset, to feed on the pests, reduce the problem.  I know this would turn things upside down as far as species go but isn't it out of balance now.

Can you give me a couple of seconds to put on a flack jacket before you start shooting please

Gordon

Be kind to the Natives.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
Re: One for Fitzy
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 08:07:41 PM »
Unfortunately due to the "Mason Dixon Principle" its not or never will be allowed  :(
Winter temps in Somerset can get too low.

cheers
Steve

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 06:49:52 AM »
In reality Somerset winter temps don't get much lower than Tinaroo.  The powers that be will probably never allow Barra into Somerset.  The Cod species in there should be able to do the same job as Barra, given the opportunity to grow. 

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 08:05:13 AM »
Hope you are right Dale, I would hate to see the Talapia infestation reach the level of the Redfin in some of the southern impoundments.

Now that you mention it I don't see the Talapia in areas where the Cod lay around.  I monitor that every couple of months.

Gordon

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 07:58:02 PM »
Gordon, Barra were stocked in Ewen Maddock Dam about a decade ago, one or two may still be in there but there's a lot of water between them. Through very cold winters during the drought when water levels were low, Barra fish kills occured on a grand scale.

As Dale mentioned, Cod are our best defence at the moment to prevent these pest spicies from taking over our waterways and impoundments. EMD has Tilapia in there and through last year with more fishing enthusiasm from the rise of the new stocking group, large schools of them were found aggressively feeding at times. Notes were taken and we forwarded this information to DEEDI. Unfortunately they have also made it over the spillway and now they have access to the Mooloolah River.

Our biggest issue stocking Cod in EMD now is that we are only have a permit to stock Mary River Cod which as we know at the moment are very hard to come by with Russel Manning the only hatchery that I know who is legally allowed to breed these fish. Ideally EMFMI would like to see the MRC stocked into EMD to assist in the eradication of these pest species.

Things at our house hold are a little crazy at the moment however soon I would like to write a formal letter and petition to see if we can resurrect the Mary River Cod.

Cheers Dave

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 07:57:57 AM »
Thanks for that info.  We will just hope the Cod can do the job.

There is a possibility that MRC are breeding near me in the mid reaches of the Stanley.  I tried for a permit to research this but  none was forthcoming. 

If they were multiplying up here then that would go a long way to keeping the pests under control.
I have seen evidence of Talapia as far up the Stanley River as Neurum creek.

The best case scenario would be that the Cod upstream multiply and spread down looking for their own patch of territory and enter the dam and wreck havoc on the Talapia.

Makes a good story hey.  Rarely hear of Cod being caught in the dam proper so we need more stock one way or the other.

Gordon