Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Tanglin' with Toga.  (Read 8414 times)

Offline Member

• Store Customer
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 74
  • Liked: 8
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Tanglin' with Toga.
« on: March 04, 2011, 11:37:42 PM »
With an urgent need to escape the suburban rat race, I threw the swag in the Ute and yak on the roof and hit the road. This was only a short 2 day overnight trip and I hoped the weather would hold just that little bit longer as my last few trips I’ve always brought the rain with me. Bumped into the “Toga King” on the way in and a plan was set in motion. Quickly dropped off the swag and esky at camp and headed off for an afternoon session. The day was steaming and I hoped the water wasn’t too hot for the fish to come out and play.
 I was the student and listened intently on all that I needed to learn on what to look for in the environment to hopefully be successful to catch one of these truly majestical fish.

After eons of searching casts one came out to play. He hit with gusto and I tried to remember all that I had read. Maintained line tension and waited for those leaps....and he was nearly there. Nearly home and in the net save for one more scorching jump beside the yak and he threw the hooks earning his way to freedom. I was devastated and just sat there in disbelief!!! NO...my first Saratoga and I dropped him!!!!  :'( ::)
I sat there and played through my head the whole hook up trying to work out where I went wrong. Did I let him have some slack line? Did I get a good hook up on the first hit and set the hook ? ::)

I realised that it was no good beating myself up over this loss and to let the area settle down and come and try on the way home. Not far away I spied another likely spot to target and proceeded to have one of the most visually stimulating surfaces playtimes I’ve had in a long-time.  :-*
I was blessed to be able to watch a Toga come up and sit just under the lure and eyeball it. I gave it only the subtlest of shakes and let the ripples pan out. He’d take a swipe at it and then retreat a couple of paces and just turn and watch it!! This went on a few times till he retreated to the sanctionary of the shadows once again. My heart was in my mouth as I sat there just so in tune with what was happening and became totally lost in the moment. Pulling myself away from this magical moment was extremely hard but he wasn’t in the mood for what I was searching for.

After many km’s and the growing threat of a possible storm we pulled the pin and headed back calling in to a couple of earlier spots to try our luck. Alas it wasn’t to be.
That night after a meal and a Kahlua round the campfire I only hoped that I hadn’t missed my chance this trip. A light drizzle had set in and we retired to our camps to dream of what was to come tomorrow.

Up early and we pulled camp so we didn’t have to rush back from out on the water. Thank god we did as it bucketed down for most of the morning. Plan B was to put in the miles and then work our way back. My “Toga King” picked up a Bass on the way and even though I saw many schools I went Bass less. Maybe my heart knew it was playing the waiting game for that “special” fish. ;)
It was on the return trip that I was finally rewarded. One of those magical spots was found and the “Toga King” had one come up for a swipe. The weather hadn’t shut them all down!!! There was still hope for me.

I tried a few nearby spots and lobbed a cast into an out of way area.
A huge swirl appeared. He was there!!! Concentrate....Pop another cast into where I saw him...the lure landed with a large plop and I let the ripples concertina outwards. Another rattle of the lure and he hit it in an explosion of water!!! It was on!!! 8)
What preceded next was one of the most heart stopping moments I’ve had in a long time. It was like time stood still as I worked with the fish. At first I didn’t think I was going to be able to land him on my own, he looked so long and I called for help from the Master. Then I said no...I need to do this myself and I hoped to god that he would fit in my net. I was so scared of losing this fish I didn’t want to leave anything to chance. Flashes of dropping the fish the day before briefly entered my head but I chased them away. No...This was my TIME!! :-*

My heart lit up to finally have one of these beautiful fish in my lap. Words fail me on how to properly describe these ancestrally majestic fish.
With photos taken and huge smiles and handshakes I could finally shake the monkey off my back and settle down to enjoy all my future captures. I rest easy now safe knowing that I have learnt many valuable lessons over the last two days and look forward to repeat trips putting that knowledge into practice.
The hugest of thanks must go to the “Toga King” Eric AKA Lantana.  :yourock
Thank you for all your patience and time in teaching me so much about these iconic fish...

Kindest Regards.

:thanks

Toni

Ocean Kayak Pro Staff

http://www.ocean-kayak.com.au

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
Re: Tanglin' with Toga.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 07:28:55 AM »
Very well done Toni congrats on the first toga you sure worked hard for it by the sounds of it and rewarded very well indeed  :youbeauty

Steve

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 10:21:20 AM »
trip report of the month entry for sure.  :thumbsup
well done mate.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 10:54:44 AM »
Hell of a good yarn EG really heart in the mouth stuff, or should that be hook in the mouth. Anyway great work, those things do put on a show,
JD

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 06:54:31 PM »
 :youbeauty Congratulations Toni on your first ever Toga. I'm glad that you were finally rewarded after a frustrating first day on the water. Awesome report too BTW, felt like I was there sharing every cast.

Good on ya Eric for guiding Toni, in the land of the Toga's.

So what's the next fish species to tick off the list Toni?

Well done!

Dave

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 09:12:39 AM »
Really enjoyed your tale. Thought that you captured the moment with your words.  :thanks

Offline Member

• Store Customer
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 74
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 01:01:16 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their kind words.Not sure on the next target species Dave.Will have a think about that.
It's given me the incentive to try Hinze's Toga now. :)
Eric was kind enough to capture the moment for me.
Thanks again Eric. :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 148
  • Liked: 14
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 01:16:18 PM »
Nice fish Toni backed up with a good yarn :thumbsup

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 07:18:23 PM »
Good onya Toni  :youbeauty
I think your campfire was still warm when I got there Friday just as the heavens opened.
Seems to be par for the course lately when I head of fishing & camping it bloody rains.
No first Toga for me unfortunately, only managed one bass off the big weed bed in the middle, but I did come home with a feed of redclaw, curried clawmeat Yum.
Congrats again on your capture.

Cheers Andrew

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 08:18:42 PM »
Congrats on your first toga! I still remember mine and how excited was and how angry i got when i found the batteries in the camera were flat >:(. Were you fishing at borumba? looks like borumba, I think i've taken a photo of that same tree :D

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 10:01:56 PM »
Congratulations Toni, many more to come I'm sure  :thumbsup

cheers
Steve

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 103
  • Liked: 26
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 08:56:58 PM »
congrats on the first toga and a solid one at that!! very top read that report  :youbeauty very good guiding too  8)